• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Blood Tests

LizzieBee

Loving being a loser!
Hi All :talk017:

I haven't been on much lately (work and family getting in the way!) and have just been reading the recent posts. :read:

Lots of you post op peeps seem to be having quite regualr blood tests. Candie and I have not had any blood tests since our op, is this normal? It was mentioned early on but nothing since. :sign0163:

Many thanks all

Lx

I'm still pre-op but would have thought you would need to have bloods checked every 3mths post-op to check vitamin levels etc?

Might be worth giving your GP and/or consultant a call just to check whether this has ever been advised :)

Hi Lizzy
i see the endocrainologist every 6 months and have them done prior to seeing him but my gp also did them in between at my request as i was bruising a lot and that can be a sign of B12 deficiency but all was fine. think it was lack of padding. lol
i would just ask yr gp. who does yr follow up?

I was supposed to have one at 6 months post op and from then yearly ! i missed my 6 month blood test and had blood taken at 1 year, as my B12 and zinc were high my GP has reduced these and suggested we do bloods again at 6 months (which will be March now) just to make sure we've got my vit levels spot on - the norm (if you have no issues or deficencies) is every year, though my consultant stressed that if i was having any problems then they would blood screen me as and when to rule out any vitimin issues.
I think the key is having it done regular - this was clearly detailed on my surgeons referal notes to my GP, so really he's just following the advice he was given for my long term care.

I've not had any blood tests done either. I did however just receive a copy of a letter from Mr Ammori to my GP stating exactly what should be done for me. I thought this was a bit late getting sent considering I had my op 17 October!!!

The first year we had blood tests at 3 months, 6 months.

Nowadays, it's every 6 months. I'd have them done if I were you. As it was said to me, if there's anything that needs tweaking, you'd rather catch it sooner than later.

I've not had any blood tests done either. I did however just receive a copy of a letter from Mr Ammori to my GP stating exactly what should be done for me. I thought this was a bit late getting sent considering I had my op 17 October!!!

Hi Andrea - no this is fine, Basil Ammori told me i'd be fine living on my body fat for a while and not to worry about to much, his referal came through about 6 weeks after my op and copy went to my GP.
His advice and approach is spot on and like many of us under BA you should be fine provided your GP follows his advice and recomendations :D

hi if i was you ring them and say !! xx

No - you should be having bloods done at 6 months 1 year and then yearly following that (unless you have an issue and that will be between you and your GP to discuss frequencies etc)
I missed my 6 months blood test and my consultant said that it wasn't really a problem as i was doing well and had no problems, i did have my yearly and my GP has since that reduced some of my vitimins.

To be honest unless you have having difficul;ties or real problems then i wouldn't worry to much until you get to 6 months, then discuss bloods with your GP / consultant and see what they say, certainly now at 3 months you do not need to worry.
Knowing you had BA do your op i'm imagining things will be fine anyway.

Back