• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Body tone

Serapis Bey

Hello everyone :)

I'm new to this board & glad to be here.

I am on the waiting list for gastric bypass surgery. I haven't been given a date yet, but was told that it could be from Dec 10 - Feb 11.

I have lost some weight in preparation of the op at slimming world (Just under 2 stones since May.) & go to the gym daily.

My concern is this. I'm so grateful that Im getting the surgery, this is something i've been trying to get for the last 13 years, but I do have some concerns.

My goal is to be a size 14 - (When I was once 13 stone 10 I was a large size 14 so I would like my goal to be 13 stones exactly).
How much does one usually lose with WLS?

Is there anyway I can avoid loose skin? I don't mind the saggy boobs (mine have always been that way.) but it's the loss of volume in my bum & belly overhang that concerns me. I work out with weights often & do yoga. Will that help with the saggy skin?

I would like to retain as much muscle as possible.

I really hope this questions do not seem superficial as again, I'm so grateful to have the operation & would like to hear about your experiences.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to WLS.

Firstly good luck in obtaining you date and i hope it comes shortly.

I was told that you could lose up to 80% of your excess weight, but there have been people who have lost 100% and some not as much.

Regarding loose skin I personally think it is a bit genentic, bit like wrinkles, some people wrinkle more than others. It also depends on how long you have been large for.

I think you will have to accept that you will have loose skin and just put up with it, but it is a lot less harmful than having it full of fat.

Good luck on your journey.:wave_cry:

Thanks for the quick responce lady light.

I have been overweight all of my life, but managed to loose 8 stones on the atkins diet. It took me 5 years to do so & I didn't have any loose skin. I maintained the loss for 3 years, then regained it within 2 years eating very badly.

My mum is in her 60's & doesnt have many wrinkes at all, she looks like she's 40. (I think the lack of wrinkles is cultural as we're afro-carribean.)

Her skin tone is better than mine!

I guess if my skin does sag, I will accept it but I really do fear having no buttocks.

Hi and :welcome2: to WLS. Im pre-op so cant really answer your questions but I agree with Lady, I think the skin depends on so many factors, age, genetics etc. Good luck on your journey and I hope you get everything you want from it ;) x

Hello and welcome :)

I think the skin sagging issue is really down to how old you are, how often you have lost and gained weight, have you had children? All of this takes a toll on our elasticity. But as Mary says and i myself told my son, having a bit of loose skin won't kill me, i have the loose skin at the moment it's just full of fat...

Good luck with your journey and i hope your skin bounces back where you want it xxx

You sound like you are doing the right sorts of excercise but like the others have said it depends on various factors. I have lost 114lb so far and my skin seems to be adapting quite well. I do keep my skin well moisterised with pure aloevera cream. I hope this helps but if you are really worried speak to your bariatric team (I would do this just after the op as it is nice to keep everything positive with them pre op).
There are certian foods which are good for maintaining skin tone, here are some that I found on another website
Soy proteins – these are rich in amino acids, vitamin E and many antioxidants. These specific components of [COLOR=#0000cc !important][COLOR=#0000cc !important]soy[/COLOR][/COLOR] assist the skin in retaining moisture, smooth the over all appearance and improve the elasticity.
Artichoke hearts – packed with folic acid, vitamin C, potassium and biotin, these ingredients help support the collagen and firmness.
Strawberries – these contain B vitamins, antioxidants and fiber that when combined, are essential for the structure of collagen and elastin which both contribute to firmness and elasticity of the skin.
Blackberries – similar to strawberries, these improve collagen and elasticity because they are an excellent source of vitamins E and C with a great amount of antioxidant present.
Water – whether it be still, sparkling, bottled or tap water, drinking an average of eight glasses a day will guarantee a good level of skin hydration supporting the overall elasticity.

Hi and welcome to a fantastic site for help and information. My goal was a size 14 and am now sitting at a 10/12 having lost just over 9 stone in a year. I have some loose skin but not as much as i expected which i look at as a bonus. As Julie says it does depend on age etc, i'm a 49 year old mum of two and gran of one so again its def a bonus. You probably will end up with loose skin but i personally feel its so much better than the weight i was carrying. Wishing you good luck with your journey xx

Thanks for all of your replies & warm welcome :)

Phatmomma (love that name!) Im 32 and have no children. I've a lost a significant amount of weight once in my life.

12dobidog - Thanks for the dietary advice & the tip about aloe vera. I drink the juice & will definitely incorporate the cream into my daily regime.

Gaelic girl - 9 stones in a year is phenomenal!!! You are right, loose skin is better than fat.

Back