• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Negatives?

Ok, for those of you who have already had surgery, what are the negatives?

I ask this, because at my dieticain appt, she told me that my hair would fall out (not might, WOULD) I would get dry skin, saggy skin, and more than likely become a gambler, smoker or alcoholic.

Have any of you suffered these? Has anyone else been told this?

Hi

May be I am lucky so far, I have not yet lost any more hair than I was already loosing... I blame my dad....

My skin is now smoother than it's ever been, yes i have some saggy skin, but having been a large person for most of my life, I am not surprised.

The things I were told about that might happen were:-

My IBS would probably get worse, it's gone totally!
I might get acid reflux, no sign of that at all.

Hmmm - maybe she was trying to put me off!

A week today for my initial appt - am SO scared they will turn me down!

I know of a few peeps from the village I grew up in, have had the op - only one seems to have thinning locks, but shes a hairdresser, and is always messing around with bleaching/dying it etc.

Hmmm - maybe she was trying to put me off!

A week today for my initial appt - am SO scared they will turn me down!

I know of a few peeps from the village I grew up in, have had the op - only one seems to have thinning locks, but shes a hairdresser, and is always messing around with bleaching/dying it etc.

You will be fine.

They told me at Newton place that I couldn't have my surgery local due to my BMI.

That's why I ended up in London.

I don't think she is trying to put you off I think she is making sure you know what you are getting in to. The side effects can and do happen, not all for everyone and some people are really lucky and get very few. A lot of the time the stuff you do get you have to weigh against the things you gain. 3 and a half months post op and 90lb's down in 4 months, I am losing hair - only me and my hairdresser notice it but it's happening. The good news is it usually grows back at around 9 months out. My skin is better than it's been in years, looking fresh and spot free! It may go dry but that is better than greasy to me. I'm aware cross addiction is a possibility, I'm not worried about gambling, hate it but I'm keeping an eye on shopping! Will always watch alcohol too because of the fact consuming too much basically stops you losing weight anyway so double the reason to watch that. Also have to forever watch nutrition and even then you still may get deficiencies. I've already got noticeable sagging skin and if I reach goal I'll have loads of the stuff. I'm hoping I can manage to get a loan for a tummy tuck and arm lift but if I can't then I will have to lump it. It's still better than being 5ft 1" and 26st, not being able to walk, work or care for myself. I can do all that now and so much more. So in short, in my experience so far, yes side effects are a bit of a pain and you have to stay self aware but so far I'd say they are worth it :) Good luck with your next appointment x

Last edited:
My hair is falling out, but I also think its getting thicker so it's not noticeable to anyone else! I don't regret having my band. The only thing I would say is that emotionally and mentally it is tough. A lot tougher than I thought it would be, but worth it! It's like having a baby, you don't know what it's gonna be like until its too late but you wouldn't change it!!!!

You will be fine.

They told me at Newton place that I couldn't have my surgery local due to my BMI.

That's why I ended up in London.

Im not going local - wasnt offered local/didnt know you could have it local....i assume you mean local, as in, locality not aneasthetic?
Am off to St Richards.....and im under Newton Place too!

I don't think she is trying to put you off I think she is making sure you know what you are getting in to. The side effects can and do happen, not all for everyone and some people are really lucky and get very few. A lot of the time the stuff you do get you have to weigh against the things you gain. 3 and a half months post op and 90lb's down in 4 months, I am losing hair - only me and my hairdresser notice it but it's happening. The good news is it usually grows back at around 9 months out. My skin is better than it's been in years, looking fresh and spot free! It may go dry but that is better than greasy to me. I'm aware cross addiction is a possibility, I'm not worried about gambling, hate it but I'm keeping an eye on shopping! Will always watch alcohol too because of the fact consuming too much basically stops you losing weight anyway so double the reason to watch that. Also have to forever watch nutrition and even then you still may get deficiencies. I've already got noticeable sagging skin and if I reach goal I'll have loads of the stuff. I'm hoping I can manage to get a loan for a tummy tuck and arm lift but if I can't then I will have to lump it. It's still better than being 5ft 1" and 26st, not being able to walk, work or care for myself. I can do all that now and so much more. So in short, in my experience so far, yes side effects are a bit of a pain and you have to stay self aware but so far I'd say they are worth it :) Good luck with your next appointment x

I agree with the 'going into to with open eyes', but she ONLY gave the negatives. Of course, at present they could stick red hot pokers in my eyes, Id still go for it....
Perhaps looking at it as you've put it 'side effects' might make me think more positively....thanks for replying.

My hair is falling out, but I also think its getting thicker so it's not noticeable to anyone else! I don't regret having my band. The only thing I would say is that emotionally and mentally it is tough. A lot tougher than I thought it would be, but worth it! It's like having a baby, you don't know what it's gonna be like until its too late but you wouldn't change it!!!!

Yeah, Ive seen people go through it - but the transformation must be worth it, eh?
thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I'm still nervous they'll turn me away, so we're both feeling the same at least. Excited as well though only a few more days now then at least we will know for sure. I've been going through the shall I bypass or sleeve dilemma again this last couple of weeks after reading lots, my mind is swimming! Got to get up early to get there, let's hope the traffics clear Friday for us :) see you there x

Sorry, hadnt realised you'd replied!

They dont do the sleeve at St Richards, I dont think.....all I know is ...

ARGHHHH!!!

Im SO nervous!!

See you Friday!!!

I ask this, because at my dieticain appt, she told me that my hair would fall out (not might, WOULD) I would get dry skin, saggy skin, and more than likely become a gambler, smoker or alcoholic.

I have or am currently suffering:

1. hair loss -- but I am not going to look bald any time soon, it is simply shedding more rapidly than normally

2. dry skin

3. saggy skin -- having lost 100 lbs already wrinkly saggy bits are now showing and will only get worse as I continue to lose the next 50 lbs or more ..... this is the price for having been over 300 lbs for many years .... what are the options -- go fat again and fill it back out so it don't look so bad? or just accept it ???

I think those risks your dietician told you about are all reasonable and accurate.

The percentage of patients who suffer from a "cross over" addiction to another vice is small so I would not worry too much about that.

I'm only 4 weeks post op and my only negative so far is getting used to my new eating habits and remembering to stick to them!
Positives include weight loss obviously, lovely skin, compliments etc etc
I haven't become addicted to anything yet except possibly cottage cheese! :)
In my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Good luck
Em xxx

widdershins said:

People like this make me so angry! she may be stating the truth but do one when you don't also happen to mention that you get your life back and possibly 10 extra years of if. That you may finally get some self esteem and become addicted to looking at yourself in the mirror instead of avoiding one!! If they must state facts lets hear all the facts.

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

People like this make me so angry! she may be stating the truth but do one when you don't also happen to mention that you get your life back and possibly 10 extra years of if. That you may finally get some self esteem and become addicted to looking at yourself in the mirror instead of avoiding one!! If they must state facts lets hear all the facts.

xx.

Like being told before my op that I had a 1 in 50 chance of death in the first three months.

Rather than 98% chance of survival which is exactly the same figure!

xx.

Totally agree. Most of the side effects are pretty minor when you compare them with a reduced life span, possible heart attack, stroke, diabetes, disability due to lack of mobility, etc. etc. etc.

You probably will lose hair, not in clumps but all over. It is common to lose hair after any major operation as it's usually a body shock symptom. But it does grow back. I have a pineapple on top of my head right now where it's growing back nicely. Your skin might go dry, haven't noticed it myself much, I slaver on Oil of Olay serum every day anyway due to being 46. I don't have dry skin anywhere else.

I think you will only turn to another addiction if you have a particularly addictive personality. It's probably more likely to be an addiction to buying all the gorgeous clothes that you couldn't buy before. I deal with this by selling my clothes that no longer fit me on Ebay so I have the money for what I want. Where there's a will there's a way eh.

Of course there are risks as there are when you have a hysterectomy or your tonsils out but the benefits far, far, far out weigh the side effects.

Go for it and enjoy the rest of your life.

My only regret. Not doing it 10 years earlier.

Kate x

She's a prick

Back