• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bp limb lengthening

sarahjaneward

hi guys my name is sarah i had a gastric bypass in jan 2009 i was 19st 7lb the roux n y did an amazing job and within a year i got down to 10st 7lb that was hard to maintain so stayed at 11st 7lb! This was maintained for a few years umtil i found out my mums cancer had come back and this time there was no cure! I put my heart and soul into being there for her! Hospital visits to barts chemo tests allsorts, i have ms and have 2 slipped discs and iv been in agony for months!
To cut a long story short i started comfort eating and not preparing healthy meals and i dont know how but iv managed to put 5st on in 2 years simce her diagnosis!
I had severe depression so i know thats something to do with it but almost feels like im addited to food again!
Im not even enjoying it but my legs are hurting me know my knees ankles hips back!
I met with my surgeon who did origianl op and we tried to go down road of funding but was refused at the very first hurdle
So im going in on 28th nov for a revision op im going to have the pouch made smaller and lengthen the BP limb? He drew me a diagram but i have no idea wot he was saying lol is there anyone on here that has had this op and what the op is called? How should i prepare as with my first op i had a liquid diet but my doc says no need this time also wondering wot i will be eating just after op any info would be gratefully appreciated as iv tried to look up on internet but i just cant find anything anywhere hellllllllp

The surgeon will be lengthening the biliopancreatic (BP) limb of your bypass to aide further weight loss.

There are statistics out there that show those with a longer BP limb lose more weight. However, you may find that you really need to keep on top of your vitamins as patients with longer BP limbs have a higher chance of becoming deficient.

Basically your having a revision of your original bypass.

So it sounds very promising. Good luck xx

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mum and the depression. You don't say how long ago it was? As it is often a key factor in comfort eating have you had support with your grieving? So much of WLS is about what is going on in our heads rather than what is happening in our stomachs. The surgery is just a tool as I am sure you know, and well done on getting to where you did first time. You can do it again. x

I would really think about this surgery, if you have managed to gain weight with the bypass then long term you will probably manage it with even more surgery. The reason being, eating is in your head not your stomach, no matter how small your pouch you can still graze and graze. i have to think protein every day and ignore the voices telling me to eat crap. Its still a daily battle. I know that if i wanted I could put weight back on but eating the wrong stuff, despite have the tiniest sleeve ever made. Please think about it before more surgery, it may work for a few years, like your first surgery...but then what. Its not a miracle as you will know, its a tool, you still have a tool...more surgery could lead to all sorts of long term health problems due to absorption.
I am really sorry you are struggling, take time out to think about where you are at.

I would really think about this surgery, if you have managed to gain weight with the bypass then long term you will probably manage it with even more surgery. The reason being, eating is in your head not your stomach, no matter how small your pouch you can still graze and graze. i have to think protein every day and ignore the voices telling me to eat crap. Its still a daily battle. I know that if i wanted I could put weight back on but eating the wrong stuff, despite have the tiniest sleeve ever made. Please think about it before more surgery, it may work for a few years, like your first surgery...but then what. Its not a miracle as you will know, its a tool, you still have a tool...more surgery could lead to all sorts of long term health problems due to absorption.
I am really sorry you are struggling, take time out to think about where you are at.
I have thought about this long and hard i did everything by the book i did the 2 week liquid diet fine i lost all my weight and i maintained for 4 years nothing cud be further from my mind throughout those years i ate iff a side plate i ate all the healthy foods protein protein protein i drant water constantly!!! And always said i wud never go back to being so big but some things in life just cannot prepare you iv been spending so much time caring for my mum amd worrying about losing her i forgot about me i didnt matter and now its like i went to sleep and woke up like this so excuse me for saying this but dont i deserve a second chance ? Just because i failed the first time does not mean i will again i need to be very careful and spot the signs this time but im determined to beat this and need all the help and advice i can get

The surgeon will be lengthening the biliopancreatic (BP) limb of your bypass to aide further weight loss.

There are statistics out there that show those with a longer BP limb lose more weight. However, you may find that you really need to keep on top of your vitamins as patients with longer BP limbs have a higher chance of becoming deficient.

Thank you so much for your message and letting me know regarding the op is there an actual
Sorry to hear about the loss of your mum and the depression. You don't say how long ago it was? As it is often a key factor in comfort eating have you had support with your grieving? So much of WLS is about what is going on in our heads rather than what is happening in our stomachs. The surgery is just a tool as I am sure you know, and well done on getting to where you did first time. You can do it again. x
whT a lovely message thank you so much fpr takin the time to write back to me xx

Could i also ask is there a reason why doc is saying i dont need to do liquid diet before op this time? He just says no carbs does that sound correct and do i still do what i did before wen i had original surgery and start on liquids then soft and so forth?

If your cutting out carbs that will have the same effect, i.e to deplete your liver of glycogen so that its easier to move for the op.

I'm very sure that post op your diet will be as it was with the first op :D

My lrd was basically low carb - 2 pints milk a day and one meal of 75g chicken with lots of non- starchy veg ie no root veg or beans or sweet corn etc.

Back