• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Breakfast cereal

Grace

I've been getting very bored of weetabix and porridge, so I decided to try Rice Crispies instead! Stupidly, I relied on an advert I seem to remember saying there was nothing added and they were really healthy!
I was fine yesterday...but come today, 5 minutes after eating them...and it's Dump City! Again! tut!:mad:

So belatedly:eek: I looked at the nutrition panel: 10g per 100g!:mad: stupid Rice Crispies! :sigh:
I have bought Grape Nuts as they seem to be the lowest sugar breakfast cereal I can find. I've never had them so I have no idea what they taste like.

Although I am glad I'm a dumper, this having to be so vigilant is getting a little frustrating. There seems to be so little I can safely eat in the way of prepared food. Demon sugar seems to get into everything!

o nooo sweetpea you d have never of thought rice krispies hey, what about shreddies?..... i like them xx

Kelly most breakfast cereal weighs in at 10 -15g sugar per 100g! :mad:
I can't say I looked at them all! I'd have been there for hours, LOL!:8855::8855::8855::8855: and the staff in Sainsburies would've thought I was VERY strange!

Arent shredded wheat supposed to have nothing added to them? according to Ian Botham anyway lol....mine you I think they taste vile! x

Yeah, its like chewing on a doormat, eh Dotty? hardly 'mushy'!:8855:

ooo fruit n fibre? mmm mmm x

Cornflakes

Cornflakes weigh in at 8g per 100g which may be ok. I'm trawling through the Kellogs website! LOL What sort of an anorak am I?:8855::8855::8855::8855:

OK, it's official

Cornflakes are the lowest sugar Kellogs cereal at 8g per 100g, folowed by Rice Crispies at 10g per 100g. (on which I dumped this morning!)

Don't even go near the rest unless you don't dump!

Crunchy Nut Nutty ;which I love(d) weighs in a massive 32g per 100g of sugar!:eek:

hi Charis..
have you tried granola (kelloggs do a low fat one but I usually wait-rose own brand,i think jordans do one too)
they have 14g of sugar per 40g.
Its a tad high i agree, but i think it has more to do with the dry fruit than the cerial itself,if you know what i mean.
As a diabetic it was suggested to me by a dietitian to bring my sugars down and I have to say it worked with keeping my sugars stable for the morning.More so than weetabix or cornflakes.
Its a desired taste but not that bad.
I guess it could make you dump.
I tend to have a fruit alot in the mornings now with yoghurt and a very small handful of granola....it seems the better option...good only know what i will eat post op..

i dont look at the 100g bit, i just look at the individual portion, i find it a lot easier, but i agree most of the cereals are loaded with sugar, i used to love shreddies, now i darent go near them. have you seen that advert for weetabix with bits of choc in em, it says there lower than any of the other ones, i mean cereals not porridge etc. might be worth looking at. hugs x

i do to tho i pour it in the bowl then stand and pick out all the yellow bits bluerrghhh dont do nuts!!!! and just leave the flakes and raisons xx

hey special k are the worst for sugar apprantly x

i dont look at the 100g bit, i just look at the individual portion, i find it a lot easier, but i agree most of the cereals are loaded with sugar, i used to love shreddies, now i darent go near them. have you seen that advert for weetabix with bits of choc in em, it says there lower than any of the other ones, i mean cereals not porridge etc. might be worth looking at. hugs x

Thanks Dawny. I was thinking about this yesterday. For me, it doesn't necessarily seem to be about the amount of sugar as such; more about the percentage of sugar. I dump SO easily, I even dumped on a milky coffee (no sugar!) last week, just because I drank it too fast.
I've just tried the grape nuts: they were ok: very filling, full of fibre (so good for the bowels!) and taste a lot like horlicks, only crunchier!

hi Charis..
have you tried granola (kelloggs do a low fat one but I usually wait-rose own brand,i think jordans do one too)
they have 14g of sugar per 40g.
Its a tad high i agree, but i think it has more to do with the dry fruit than the cerial itself,if you know what i mean.
As a diabetic it was suggested to me by a dietitian to bring my sugars down and I have to say it worked with keeping my sugars stable for the morning.More so than weetabix or cornflakes.
Its a desired taste but not that bad.
I guess it could make you dump.
I tend to have a fruit alot in the mornings now with yoghurt and a very small handful of granola....it seems the better option...good only know what i will eat post op..

Lisa I Love granola but I'm still on the mushy stage....they don't really 'mush' do they?!:D I suspect they would make me dump too. I think I might start having yoghurt and fruit for brekky!
I honestly seem to dump at the drop of a hat, so I have to be very careful. I haven't had a really terrible one yet (worst was with NAS Angel Delight :eek:) but they're bad enough to want to avoid at all costs!

oooh i like the sound of them, i might try them, thanks charis.

sometimes when we dump, specially on stuff you wouldnt expect, like the coffee, its almost as if its the shock of it hitting the bowel, cos when u think about it, normally by the time food gets to where ours gos straight to, its partially digested, we dont have that luxury do we. so your probably right, it was the speed you drank it that caused you to dump, if we eat anything with sugar in really slowly, i wonder if that would help, cos it wouldnt shock the system as much, just a thought, i might try it.
thanks for the tip for the grape nuts, i cant wait to try them, whats the sugar in them like? hugs x

oh charis, ive had them belvita biscuits the last couple of days, and ive been ok with them, i cant eat all 4 at once, i have either 1 or 2 then wait a while, then if i need more i have another one, theyre really nice, i got the fruit n fibre ones. hugs x

you can get plain puffed wheat (sugar pufs minus the sugar and anything added) i have these occasionally with a little sweetner on, think most supermarkets stock some brand of these.
I also have cornflakes...these are the lowest sugar containing cereal, think it is about 8g per 100g

I spent ages looking through the nutritional info for cereals on Asda's website shortly after my op lol

Back