• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

RNY Gastric Bypass Bulgur wheat

Maphillips

Hi just looking in my wls cook book and they replace rice with bulgar wheat as less calories and slightly more protein
Never tried it looks like cous cous
I won't be able to eat it for a few months yet tho
Just wondered if any one had eaten it
Mark

I have Mark. I've made tabbouleh with it. Quinoa is another good replacement for rice. It has 14g of protein per 100g. I just looked on Wikipedia lol :)

Sounds good because my book says rice has problems going down and bulgur wheat is a good replacement for chilli bolanaise or curry
Mark

Yep as Paula said they are both really nice and you don't need very much of it either.

I use mostly a quinoa and bulgar wheat mix. I make up the whole packet and it lasts me and the OH (he hasn't had surgery) all week for the salads we take to work.

Another good alternative to rice with hot food is 'riced' cauliflower - sounds odd but is really nice!

Yep as Paula said they are both really nice and you don't need very much of it either.

I use mostly a quinoa and bulgar wheat mix. I make up the whole packet and it lasts me and the OH (he hasn't had surgery) all week for the salads we take to work.

Another good alternative to rice with hot food is 'riced' cauliflower - sounds odd but is really nice!
Did you buy a ricer to do this or do use a potato masher?

Ooh I bought some of this today after seeing a Jamie Oliver recipe use it. Thanks for the other tips - rice no longer agrees with me so lets see how I get on with this! x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Did you buy a ricer to do this or do use a potato masher?

You could use a ricer, I don't have one though. I blitz mine in a food processor (uncooked) then microwave with no water for a couple of minutes :D

Also saw Nigella use Orso pasta this week as a risotto type dish made with this tiny rice like pasta. I can mange a tiny bit of well cooked pasta so gonna try this recipe out tis week. Will let you know how I get on

I use bulgar wheat / Ebly wheat / barley cous cous for making lovely fresh salads with lots of chopped up raw or roasted veggies and fresh herbs. More veggies than carbs obviously :rolleyes:

I make a Bulgar wheat salad with ham or lean bacon, sundried toms,garlic or black garlic, soya beans, mint/basil lemon, olives, fennel - whatever I have in really and I love it :)

I cook mine in chicken stock as my couscous as it just gives it a little bit of a lift

Thanks will give it a try next week as on mushy stage and is on my diet sheet with quorn chilli so looking forward to it

My daughter has just ordered some noodles on the net I noticed the low carb and high protein wondered if any one had tried these

Low Carb Protein Noodles 250g, Carbohydrates:9g, Protein: 63 gs per 100gs

Look forward to your answers

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any probs with rice or pasta just don't have them too often,maybe once every month summat like that. xx

Made a curried vegetable stew yesterday and added some bulgar wheat as an experiment - yummy if I do say so myself, and received lots of compliments from my friends who came round for supper. The recipe was an adapted Weight Watchers veg curry so a good low fat option - onion, chilli, garlic and grated ginger fried in a few sprays of oil and then added a level tablespoon of balti paste (didn't have any curry powder but use this and maybe some cumin seeds for lower fat and less calories) and cooked for a couple of minutes before adding 1/2 small cauli, 1 x courgette, 1 x sweet potato, 1/4 x butternut squash, 1 x red pepper, about 20 green beans chopped in half and then added a tin of chopped tomatoes and 500ml of veg stock. When veg was nearly cooked through I divided it and added some bulgar wheat (was about 5 tablespoons) to one half until it had absorbed most of the juice and was fully cooked (served 2 good sized portions plus me!). The other half I have blitzed some into a soup so would be great for those on the liquid or mushy stage post-op for something with a bit of spice, and the rest I have left as a stew and frozen. If you try it let me know what you think x

Back