• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diet

jellykelly

so I have been approved for surgery and waiting for my date, I haven't been given a weight loss target to reach have just been told to try and maintain.

However I will admit since knowing I will be having surgery sub conciously I've become less strict and has led to a weight gain :eek: and really have to nip this in the bud .
Ive had my last appointment with my dietician as she says i will be passed on to WLS dietician post op ..so from now until surgery I'm by myself and trying to loose to reduce risks and to help myself.

i cannot do a no carb diet as it is really hard for me as all the foods i eat as a vegetarian have carbs so i am doing a LOW carb diet in the hope that this is what will help me to loose weight as having small portions of whole grains , whole wheats etc... hasn't helped me so I'm trying to go cold turkey with them.
being a vegetarian all my life , i don't eat meat or fish and the only dairy product I eat is cheese so kind of vegan .

but now I'm making drastic changes and banning the cheese so I'm eating a complete vegan diet now with no dairy what so ever no potatoes , pasta , rice, bread, cous cous or etc... and focusing on only green vegetables and soya protein and small amounts of fruit.

its something I've tried to do a million times before but this time I'm going to try my absolute hardest especially as i know WLS is coming hopefully i can use that as the boost of reassurance that this time weightless is inevitable ...

turns out that for my hight 5ft 2 that a BMI of 10stone still puts me in the overweight catogory which for me is insane (10stone for me would be so so skinny)
a healthy BMI for a 5.2 is between 7 stone and 9 1/2 stone.

For me right now seems so unrealistic to get down to if its even possible ? for that sort of weight but if i don't aim high i will always stay the same thinking i am acceptable when clearly I'm completely off the scale.

i have brought scales and will weigh myself weekly please wish me luck would especially like to hear from any vegetarians if there are any on hear and how they got their protein in after surgery , obviously quorn and soya have been my best friends for life, but i need to say good by to lots of foods that my body craves and also alcohol :argh:

Crystalrainbow

Wow wow wow just wanted to wish you all the best sweetheart, your right at the start of the most amazing, emotional journey.... the new you awaits :) aim high sweetheart, its all very possible........ Cant help much on the vegetarian bit although I do steer clear of dairy and wheat mostly, and quite often do have soya meat products rather than red meat thru choice :) despite hubs hating it lol
This gain business is common ...I think its easy for our heads to go into eating mode.... just be sensible, take some steps to help yourself ie: look into the rules post op, they alone will help with portion control etc get on my fitness pal and make informed choices ...... good luck and congrats on starting already .... showing you can at least maintain all helps too, it shows commitment to your team which is what they are looking for x x x x x

jellykelly

thanks ! and yes i know i think somewhere in my head i thought I'm having surgery now i don't have to try as hard.... or i'm not going to be able to eat like i did before so make the most of it .. and I'm glad i recognised this early rather then gaining more . this is a diet because it does feel hard somedays its also a change as well rather then letting my self feel hungry then get fed up and can't keep up with it anymore.... no starchy carbs and i read that natural fats are ok and you need them to burn old fat so I'm adding foods that contain fat aswel , I'm hoping this time I've got the hang of it but only time will tell really hope i can keep it up .thanks for the support xxxx