• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tobi's post-op soup recipes

Tobi

Hi guys

I've been talking about my soups in my diary and I thought I'll post the recipes here if anyone wants to try.

Ok here we go:

Stock Base

Start by making a simple stock, this is the base for all soup I consume post op because it's the protein from the meat/bones and the vitamins from the veg we need...

Let's say chicken, it's milder than lamb or beef to begin with. If you use a boned piece of meat, you'll get more goodness out of it. I use whole 2-4 legs or 6-8 drumsticks. Remove the skin and all visible fat before you cook anything, it's very important. I found chicken drumsticks without skin at Tesco's a couple of weeks ago and used those, it was from the halal range, not sure if it's a seasonal thing or if it's available at all times but it was the first time I've seen it.

I use a pressure cooker but any big saucepan with a lid would do. Put the chicken, a couple of sticks of celery and a carrot in the pan, salt and 2 litres of water. Boil until the meat falls of the bone. Sieve and remove all bits, cool the stock down to room temperature and then put in the fridge for at least 4-5 hours (I leave overnight). You already removed the skin and fat but any remaining fat will solidify on the top. Remove this and your base stock is ready to make other more interesting soups with :) It freezes well too...

This bit is where we can get creative! Here's a couple of ideas:

Yogurt Soup

This is a Turkish recipe. I love yogurt, it's my favorite food in the world so it's only natural I love the yogurt soup. Not the sweet fruit yogurt obviously, I'm talking about Yeo Valley 0% fat natural yogurt or Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt.

First, you need a measure. A small mug would do, a small regular size glass would do, maybe a ramekin or one of those American cup measures. I'll call our measuring device a 'cup'.

Put 4 cups of stock/water mixture in a saucepan. It could be all stock, it could be half/half, could be more stock less water, whatever you like. Because my stocks are quite concentrated I use half/half. Right, 4 cups of water/stock mixture and a handful of rice. Any rice would do, I use Thai Jasmine rice. A handful of rice is about 35g. Also add half a cube of Knorr chicken stock. On high heat, let it boil away...

While the rice is cooking, prepare the yogurt mixture. 1 cup of yogurt, 2 heaped teaspoons of dried skimmed milk powder, 2 heaped teaspoons of plain flour, 1 egg... Whisk these ingredients together until there are no lumps.

When the rice is soft (doesn't take long at all) put your stick blender in the pan and blend it really well until no rice bits are left. This is obviously for post-op liquid stage but also banders aren't recommended rice as it might get stuck. Blend it for a good couple of minutes. Then, get a ladle full of this rice/water mixture and add to the yogurt mixture and whisk well. Then another ladle and then another. Basically this way the egg won't cook by adding hot water/rice mixture slowly to the yogurt mixture. Once the yogurt mixture is warmed up and the egg doesn't curdle, add the whole lot into the rice water and mix well. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes but keep stirring otherwise it'll stick to the bottom of the pan. It's quite a thick mixture.

Now the actual soup melts some butter with dried mint and chili flakes but we won't do what... Our sore tummy can't tolerate the chili flakes just yet and why did we use non-fat yogurt in the first place if we would add butter in it :p But fear not, there is the Fry-Light butter flavour spray for the lovely buttery flavour, only 1 calories per spray. I do 10 sprays for the whole lot and mix some dried mint in, like 1/2 teaspoons or so.

You might have noticed we haven't added any salt so far. There's a reason for that. If you add the salt too soon, the yogurt might curdle. So while the mixture is bubbling away with the butter sprayed and mint mixed in, add some salt (not too much, remember we have a bit of salt in the stock already!) and shove the hand blender in the pan one more time and give it a good whizz.

Divide this in 6 equal parts and each serving is 140kcal according to Myfitnesspal recipe calculator with 10 protein.

First week post op, I could manage half of this in one go. In my second week I can have the whole 1 serving. Feel free to thin it down with hot water if you like but it's yummy and very filling.

Carrot Soup

Boil 250g chopped carrots, tiny bit of salt, 1 clove of garlic and 1/2 Knorr chicken cube in 1 litre stock. When the carrots are really soft, add 1/4 teaspoon of cumin and 5 sprays of Fry-light butter flavour. Shove the hand blender in, whizz until the mixture is smooth.

This makes 4 servings, 70kcal and 3 protein each.

Vegetable Soup

In 1litre of the stock, boil 1 potato, 1 carrot, 2-3 green beans, 1 courgette, 1 celery stick, 1/2 parsnip and 1/2 leek or 1 baby leek. Once the veg are really soft, depending on what stage post-op you are we'll keep or chuck the veg. If you're in the first week of post-op, take everything out, only leave the courgette in. Blend really well and it's ready. If you're in the second week post-op, keep all the veg in and blend all really well for a more filling soup.

Not sure how many servings or calories for this one as I tend to just chuck everything else without measuring. The calories really can't be more than the yogurt soup though...

Enjoy :) xxx