• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Burnt out 5 weeks post op....

tpt

Uber geek
Now then.. I am fooked. My arms and legs feel like they weigh a tonne each, I have zilch energy and still have spangly things in front of my eyes. I am still fainting occasionally too. As I have said, I moved last Friday, I moved us with my mates help (OH is disabled so couldn't help). Also went back to work 2 weeks post op - and while I thought I had been taking it relatively easy, only lifting lighter stuff yardy-yah yardy-yah, my body has finally packed up and given in. Had I weighed myself weekly like a good girl, I would have said that my weight has stayed the same for 2 weeks, but as I have been jumping on the scales as often as poss, I tend to lose & gain 3lb often. TBH - I couldn't care about the damn weight - I care about not having enough energy to drag my sorry arse up stairs to bed. I have huge dogs, disabled hubby and full on term-time starts Monday. I have taken this week off sick to try and muster some energy. I am phoning the hospital in the morning. Us x-nurses are the worst ya know? Think we can fix ourselves.

So - this isn't a pity thread - it's all my own doing, this is a BE CAREFULL thread to all new post-oppers and how long can I expect it to last thread? Oh and no - I do not count my grams of energy, protein etc. When and if I feel empty, I fuel up, and if it doesn't hurt, I eat till I feel full and try to make it nutritious.

Yeah - Forceval & fast-tab and I eat eggs / cheese or fish daily - dietitian said there is no need for me to consume any type of protein supplement. As we are still in boxes, I can't find my BP machine grrrrr...

I just had 3 posh fish fingers and 75g of fresh steamed veg! Bit of Tom-K for the energy.

Thank you for using your experience to educate those of us waiting and hoping...

Hope you get your 'get up and go' back really soon! And yes x nurses are the worst patients...

Health n happiness to you xxxx

HI TPT
i'm really sorry you are not feeling well just now but it is good of you to post this warning, It's easy to forget we have had major sugery when we feel good i walked my dogs too much today and am feeling it now. I know you have a lot of caring to do but please take it easy this week and if in any doubt go and see your gp take care x

Hi TPT, you sound completely burnt out and in need of some time of your own, time to yourself to properly recuperate. If you are feeling this bad now then it really does sound like you need to have some time off sick, otherwise you will be harming yourself more.

Hope you manage to get some you time. Have you got a neighbour who can take the dog out? Maybe someone who can be available to your OH if help is required so you can do something for yourself?

I really feel for you and hope you can start to feel less low and exhausted and overwhelmed with life.

Warm wishes to you. x

Hi I am sorry you are feeling so tired. I would normally ask are you eating enough, are you drinking enough, are you getting enough protein. You were very clear that you do not want to count calories or protein which for me is the only way to evaluate your nutrition. You stated that you eat 'when and if' you feel empty. While that is a reasonable way to eat for someone like me many months down the line, it can be dangerous for a new post-op. You have to remember that your body signals for fullness and hunger are confused and you can't rely on them to provide you with signals that equal good nutrition. It is rare but not impossible for someone at 5 weeks post-op to get all the protein needed (80g/day) through foods, however it does take planning, eating every 3-4 hours and a high concentration of protein per meal. I would say speaking for those of us who focused on protein early post-op that energy and stamina returned between 4-6 weeks. I haven't heard of people passing out from exertion in early days so I would stronly suggest you see a doctor just to check if everything is okay. Only one person that I know of has felt like you described for any amount of time and it turned out that she became malnutritioned, lost lean muscle mass which she was eventually hospitalized for where she was told to consume 90-100g of protein per day.

As you have stated you are an x-nurse so you know that when the body shuts down and you pass out that something is not right. Please seek some help sorting out the fainting, perhaps some blood work is in order and definately a blood pressure check (remember to have them check both standing and sitting, postural hypotension is a side effect of rapid weight loss).

Nic;)

Hi TPT

As I am not a post op person I can't really say what you are doing right or wrong with regards to your diet...But I must say I have been absolutely amazed at what you have been doing post op...I have been worn out just reading what you have been up to...I did think to myself sometimes that you will collapse if your'e not careful.

It does sound like a burn out...and I think you should get a little check up.

You have had some fantastic advice...But whatever you do...please slow down! (Or we'll find a way to have someone pull your battery pack).

(((hugs)))

Please look after yourself hun, sounds like you've been doing too much too soon. Remember, slow and steady wins the race !!! take care of yourself x

Sending you lots of best wishes & hoping your soon be feeling on top of the world until then slow down & try to relax more

Thanks everyone for your kind words - I am going to call the hospital today. Nick - I will again talk to the dietitian about the protein - I did buy a huge tin of protein milk shake stuff (used by body builders) so I could always chuck a glass fo that down my throat if needed. The dietitian insisted I don't need so it looks like another conversation is needed. I tried eating as much as poss yesterday (I can barely manage anything till tea time) and got loads of sleep, but this morning my limbs feel like they are made of lead again.

I will let you know how I get on talking to the hospital.

My mantra for today:

I am not invincible. I am not in my 20's. I need to respect my body and love it and give it time to heal.

Hi hun soz ur having a hard time, but do u think that poss u did not give urself enough time to recuperate afters surgery and now ur body is protesting as it needs some more time and rest to replenish.
2 weeks after major surgery is very quick to return to work maybe u need some more R&R as its till just been 4 weeks ago u had surgery and u need to take it easy and recover properly.
Hope u feel better soon xxxx

sorry to hear you are feeling poop, but :copon: slow down ! Moving house is knackering enough when you are fit and well...
Hope the hospital can get to the bottom of it, I had a bp drop in hospital, thought i was a gonner lol, I saw sparkly white flecks in front of me so that might be one part of your answer.

Take care of yourself hun:D

Hi tpt,

hope you are feeling better - keep smiling and stay positive. Remember what you are doing this for and things will get better.

Just spoke to nurse & dietitian - my diet is fine - loads & loads of fluid intake, protein at every meal but I have to try to eat more in the day. They have concluded I have done too much too soon (no sh*t sherlock :rolleyes::rolleyes:) and also don't have any carbs in my diet so I have to start mashed potato's etc (what I actually asked for was peanut butter on toast but that was a no no! :p ). Have sent OH down to the old house to dig out my BP machine and will wander down to local docs later to have some bloods done, am sure I am not anaemic etc but think my BP may be low. Have been banned from using y X-trainer till I have more energy and told to rest up.

While I have lost nothing for 2 weeks, they said my weight loss was very good, and that my body is not healed yet, is burning up more than is taking in (which in my head equates to weight loss but hey ho).

I have also had my HOD on the phone 3 times this morning generally letting me know she is unhappy that I am not in. I will deal with that little chestnut when I go back on onday :character00115::whoopass::whoopass:

So - lesson is - it doesn't matter how fit or well you think you are immediately post-op, you're not. Kick back, take it easy and let yourself heal - non TPT styleeee :D

HI TPT
Couldn't agree more we need to learn to sit back a bit even if we do feel well its about our insides as opposed to how we feel on the outside. You have done a lot and i hope speaking to your team has reassured you. As for your HOD they are not allowed to hassle you when you are off sick so make sure he/she doesnt and you rest well this week xx

Back