• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

byepass or band which is best

SOON SLIM SUE

types with one finger
hi, i'm new to this site. i'v been offered either a byepass or the band and i cannot decide which one is best for me. my problem is i am 54 so there is no way i would ever want surgery to remove exess skin, i am doing this purly for medical resons.
i know you don't lose as much weight with the band as you do with a byepass thats why i think the band would be better for me, then i see that some of you have had to have the band done twice.
any advice would be welcome.

Hi and welcome to minis. Everyone here is really friendly and will be along to chat soon I am sure. I haven't had surgery yet am waiting for funding. I was adviced to go for a bypass by the dr at the obesity clinic because the band wouldn't work for me. I am sure the dr will advice you which would suit you. It all depends what sort of eater you are.

Hello soon slim sue! Welcome honey! Fab site with loadsa peeps all in same boat!

I went down your route but PCT wouldn't fund at last hurdle - at that point of time I was sooooo desp I would have my throat slit if could get funding - at that time I wanted bypass; I have since read Sharon Osbourne's autobiography (a bander) and had some helpful posts from some lovely members on here and ditched the band idea completely - alos I researched the op if youget funding from NHS - GREAT- if it's gonna be private DO your research some posts I've read on aftercare are quite frankly shocking... I am now on Cambridge Diet.

Sweetie pie excess skin is inevitable if you lose loads b4 body can catch up (toning wise). It's a tricky one - and all I would suggest is that you try so v hard to look past the point in time to how you will maybe feel a few months down the line (as in if have permanent procedure) can you use surgery as last resort?

Not putting a downer on you honey - and send you bags of support and love - good luck with which ever route you take; as long as you have enough willpower & support you CAN do anything x GOOD LUCK x

Hi Sue and:welcome2: to mini's. Do you have diebetes? The surgeons usually recommend bypass for this. I had the band on 18th may (7 weeks monday) and I have diebetes but did'nt want the bypass as I thought it too invasive for whimpy old me lol. With the pre op diet which I had to do twice through op getting cancelled and the band I've lost just under 3 stone. I don't have any excess skin yet but I'm expecting it. Be honest with your surgeon when you see him and talk to him about your eating habits. The band is a great tool for volume eaters as the band gives you portion control. If you're a grazer and have a sweet tooth then the bypass is good for you. Your surgeon can help you decide if like I say you're honest with him. Good luck in making the right decision. xxGaynorxx

i was banded partly for this reason but i did know it was the right op for me in many ways, you loose weight slower with the band and i think it gives your skin more chance to shrink with you to a degree but and it a big but depending on how much you have to loose you are going to get the skin problem

hi, i don't have diebetes that i am awear of. i have my second apointment on 14 aug and i can talk to the surgeon then, but till then thats a long time for me to keep changing my mind, but i can't help it, it's always on my mind.
i have the funding in place already so thats not the problem.

hi again, the problem is the elastisity in my skin is practicly none existant now, i am 19.5st at the moment, so at the end if i weighed 11,12 or 13st i would be happy.

I was'nt far off your weight when I started this journey and I too would love to get to 11stone. Even at 15 stone I'll be happier than I am now. A steady weight loss of 1 to 2lbs per week is good enough for me so my body can catch up with the weight loss and leave me with only a little excess skin.

Gaynor thats exactly my way of thinking!!!
But why do some people have to have the band done twice???

hello bands and bypasses are great but it depends on your eating habbits if your a volume eater a band works great but bands do not stop you eating sweet things as chocolate icecream crisps high cal drinks ect will go through a band,bypasses work brill for people like me that ate and picked at food all day and ate and drank a lot off sweet things fizzy pop chocolate ect if your a comfort/stress eater a bypass maybe the way to go, be honest about your eating habbits and you and your sergeon will pick the right op for you good luck i hope this helps (sorry about the spelling) x x x sarah
my aunty liz (2 bandsliz) had 2 bands as her first one broke down it does not happen very offten but proplems do happen rarely she would explain better than me.

hi sue and welcome im 60 and having bypass very soon. i wanted bypass as once its done thats it i didnt like thoughts of having a pot s inserted and to keep having fills also ive not been able to lose weight on diets and i thought it would be to easy to cheat on band

Back