• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BYETTA (Exenatide) injections

farzu

Hello ladies,
I had an appointment with Dr coppack yesterday. He prescribed me Byetta injections. Any of you taking it? have you lost any weight with this? he said i might or might not lose weight with this but didn't say anything about taking it with metformin. He also said he will refer me to Homerton for surgery but he things i will lose weight with the injection and i won't be needing any surgery :D which i am very positive about this coz if i can get my weight down with the injection, then i don't want to go through the hassel of surgery :D
over all i am feeling very very positive now.

Thats good news hun and i hope works for you, it wud be better if you didnt have to have the surgery but got the desired results.
your doctors name is unusal, its my mothers family name lol.
looking forward to hearing how the injections work.

jayne x

Well done Farzu,

I was offered Byetta, but told it was not licensed... maybe it is now? It must be then?

It's a great alternative since my insulin has made me gain such a lot of weight...

Please let me know how you get on... looks like you are not having any surgery and trying the Byetta then?

Good luck and keep in touch xxx

Thanks for the replies ladies. i hope that i lose with with the injection. Dr said he will refer me now but i have to wait for few months for the appointment and in the mean time if i lose weight then Mr mannur might not agree to do the surgery as i won't be eligible for surgery then. He also said if this injection doesn't work he will refer me again for surgery later. to be honest, i was looking to go for private and now will wait to see if the injection works. if it doesn't i won't waste my time in NHS any more and go private instead.

I was on byetta I didnt lose weight but it did bring my levels down. Stopped it on the day of my milk only to lose the 5% and havent had it since, and i was on metformin and actos as well

Hi Sue,

What other insulin did you have with the Byetta?
Were you on it for long?
Plus what quantity?

I know it's being used more now for diabetics... but I don't know if the weight loss issue with it is effective for everyone...

Much love xxx

hi Bev, the Dr i spoke to said it depends on patient to patient. some don't lose weight at all but he saw some people lose upto 25kg in 3/4 months. though the research only says that people lost about 7lbs in 2/3 months. don'y know what to believe. hoping for the best.

Hi Farzu,

Hoping for the best for you too...

It's certainly worth a try and I've asked for this injection, but been told by my Consultant to wait for the operation....

If for any reason my operation does not go ahead... I will take it in my stride and revert back to asking for the Byetta...

Good luck and take special care xxx

Good luck Farzu, i hope this does the job for you xxx

i am prescribed 5mg twice a day for a month and 10mg there after. I am waiting for the call from the nurse who is very hard to get to as the dr prescribed this injection in June but still not sign of the nurse. I just hate it how they waste time.

I know love... it will all come together eventually... I'm so glad you are giving this a try and hope it really does help you... you are doing well with your weightloss.... keep going... very best of luck to you xxx

Bev I was on it for just over a year, I didnt have insulin they normally use Byettea instead of insulin. I was on 10mg it used to bruise my belly quite a lot one time ended up with a big black bruise over 6in wide and very sore.
My consultant wasn't using it for weightloss but for diabetics the weight loss can be a side affect I may have lost the odd couple of pound but not really enough to show.
Hope this helps

It does help Sue, thank you so much...

Any information is interesting and thanks for sharing... I always say I learn more from on here than in any book!

Thank you and take good care xxx

I was on Metformin and my body decided that it suddenly didnt want to tolerate it and so they put me on Byetta. For around three months it did work to stabilise my blood sugars but then suddenly stopped and no weight came off so they took me back off of it. One strange side effect for me was inappropriate laughter!!! I even asked at the clinic was it a known thing as I literally could not control the laughter but it was at the most inappropriate times, if someone told me something serious I would cry with laughter and I couldnt stop...sounds fun but it wasnt, I hated it, I love to laugh but not like that...the clinic said that they have never heard of that before. Once off of Byetta they tried Metformin again but my body just didnt like it any more so I was moved onto Insulatard, I was on it for a while before surgery, dont need anything now.
But seriously dont get your hopes pinned on Byetta for weight loss, it COULD cause you to lose weight but it may well not, fingers crossed for you.
Steph xx

Thanks Steph... that is interesting... good to hear your experience... it's good to hear others views...
hope you are ok... sending you loads of love xxx

Hi
I started the Byetta 2 days ago and so far I have felt really sick and not been abe to keep things down, They do say that a side affect is the sickness until your body gets used to it. I will stick with it and hopefully the sickness will stop. I also take slow release metformin.
Ps so nice to meet all the people in Salford on Wednesday so nice to know that there are so many people willing to offer support and guidance.

Hi
I started the Byetta 2 days ago and so far I have felt really sick and not been abe to keep things down, They do say that a side affect is the sickness until your body gets used to it. I will stick with it and hopefully the sickness will stop. I also take slow release metformin.
Ps so nice to meet all the people in Salford on Wednesday so nice to know that there are so many people willing to offer support and guidance.

Hi Margaret,
i think i will be starting in a week but i am really scared about the injection. does it hurt a lot? i have seen some you tube videos about how to take the injection but i really felt scared. what dose r u taking? how r u feeling now?

Good luck Farzu... thinking of you.

Mags... please keep in touch, will meet up with you sometime soon at the Salford meeting.

Much love, Bev xxx

i wanted to try byetta, as I had heard the same..
I believe insulin has made me gain weight(as well as over carbing!) the endocrinologist thought byetta was a better choice for me....for some reason I couldn't have it as I was already in a full insulin regime and they(diabetic nurses) didn't have a clue how to go backwards to byetta without any major problems.
Then I was told because I am not on any form of permanent contraception eg pill or coil, they wouldn't give it because of risks in a possible pregnancy...as it has not been tested during pregnancy yet.
As for the needle thing...I was scared too..but to be honest it is easy and doesn't hurt...the thought of it was worse than the injection...once your over that psychological block it gets easy...testing my blood sugars with the finger pricker hurts me more!!!!
I hope this works out for you....
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Lisa,

I agree with you entirely... the needle issue is something I dreaded just the same as you...

If I am feeling tender, I usually inject my tum since there is a lot of padding there!

Insulin resistance can also be an issue...

Lisa, you are doing so well, so glad about your excellent news and you can march forward now knowing your direction!

Honestly everyone... if I am able to do the injections, any one can do it... since I am hopeless.

I also have my family trained with the kit for hypo's that I keep in the 'fridge and due to the cancer meds often making my blood drop... I find myself falling into the low blood sugar zone and have gone out cold.. but thanks to keeping the kit in the 'fridge, I can get through without a paramedic if someone is around to give me the 'big shot' in the top of my arm.

I believe I gained an enormous amount of weight and ate a lot more on insulin, being told to eat with insulin has not helped me since I am so prone to weight gain and medication certainly affects me...

But let's not be disappointed in any way... where there is a will there way and we will try and find it!

Love to all and wishing you a very peaceful weekend...

xxx

Back