• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass and Kidney Stones

Ok, so a few of you might be aware I have been in hospital since Mon AM with kidney stones (luckily am being dicharged today on high dose pain killers) but was anyone else aware that your chances of getting kidney stones after bypass surgery was almost doubled???

I knew about the gallstone situation but was not ever told, let alone mentioned to, about kidney stones.

Needless to say I will be drinking gallons of water from now on as I have never felt pain like I did on monday...even after the morphine! On top of the fact that I apparently have a 'horseshoe kidney' (my kidneys are fused together so I have one 'big' kidney rather than 2 small ones) my chances of recurrent kidney stones are ridiculously high :-(

The point of this thread was just to warn you to make sure you drink as much as you can to try to prevent this happening to you!!!

Last edited:
Thanks this is really good to know. Sorry you have had such a rough time hope you are feeling better soon x

Glad your coming home hun xx

Gald your on the mend and on the way home, no one told me about stones, il b drinking more now xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

you poor thing , hope your feeling better , to they dissolve them or you gotta get them removed? ,like you,i only know about gall stones , and people think this is the easy route? x chin up x

you poor thing , hope your feeling better , to they dissolve them or you gotta get them removed? ,like you,i only know about gall stones , and people think this is the easy route? x chin up x

No it passed naturally which is why i was in so much agony. Doesn't dissolve unfortunately. It started off on mon AM when I woke up for work and I desperately needed to pee but couldn't...that lasted for 3hrs (horrible) then started feeling a bit of pain and within half an hr I was on my knees in agony. I couldn't pee for over 7hrs but felt like my bladder was about to burst, sooo much pain.

Thanks all, I'm home now and shattered. Still a bit morphed up so don't actually know how bad the pain in, I guess we'll see when it wears off!

AngelEyezHoney said:
No it passed naturally which is why i was in so much agony. Doesn't dissolve unfortunately. It started off on mon AM when I woke up for work and I desperately needed to pee but couldn't...that lasted for 3hrs (horrible) then started feeling a bit of pain and within half an hr I was on my knees in agony. I couldn't pee for over 7hrs but felt like my bladder was about to burst, sooo much pain.

Thanks all, I'm home now and shattered. Still a bit morphed up so don't actually know how bad the pain in, I guess we'll see when it wears off!

That sounds horrible, get yaself off to bed n try and have a good nights sleep and hopefully ull be 100% asap, sending my love xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

you poor thing xhope your feeling better,after looking at loads of post ,post surgery,water is the key to most problems ,or lack of it,, thanks to all of you , us pre oppers have to heed ya warnings ,that seems to be that sip sip sip,is the way to go,thanks xx,

After reading about Joans dehydration revisit to hospital I started myself on a new regime of more fluids, your post has just reinforced my resolve to keep on sipping!!

Thanks for the heads up and best wishes, hope you feel much better soon :)

Get well soon. Sorry you have been so poorly. My op date is 24th august so I'm going to take your advice and get drinking lots of water now and after the op. I wish you a speedy recovery take care luv kaz x

SARAH S said:
After reading about Joans dehydration revisit to hospital I started myself on a new regime of more fluids, your post has just reinforced my resolve to keep on sipping!!

Thanks for the heads up and best wishes, hope you feel much better soon :)

Me too!! In literally forcing fluid down! To be fair I feel better for it a.d I think it sorted my weightloss out too!

I didn't know about wls and kidney stones either! Sounds horrid! Hope you have a speedy recovery and this is the last time you have to experience it! X

I think I must be one of the worst for getting my fluids in! I think I'll take heed of this and up my intake as much as I can (I didn't know kidney stones were a problem either!).

Glad you're on the mend hun, but sorry you had to go through that agony!

Back