• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass - more questions

indianlight

Hi, It's me again.

I've been reading more of peoples blogs, and have got more questions, I know that my surgeon will answer them but wanted to hear your experiences.

1) Heparin injections - have you all had to inject yourself?

2) Post op diet - What do I need to buy to eat after op?

3) I've been told you have to avoid sugars post op, is that all sugars or just certain kinds?

4) exercise - how long after op do you have to wait?

5) Sex ;) - how long do you have to wait

6) anything else I should know??

Thanks

Hi, It's me again.

I've been reading more of peoples blogs, and have got more questions, I know that my surgeon will answer them but wanted to hear your experiences.

3) I've been told you have to avoid sugars post op, is that all sugars or just certain kinds?

Thanks
Hiya Indianlight, firstly yeap I had to inject claxane injections for 4 wks post op, its not too bad chucks. Post op diet whilst your on fluids, thin soups, milk, protein drinks, sugerfree squash. Puree stage its all about trial and error. I ate a lot of mash, but you need to consentrate on your protein intake really. Eggs, meat and cheese etc.
Too much sugar post Bypass will make you dump. Which means you wil feel nauseous and weak. Something to do with your insulin. Excercise I would say at least 6 wks, the same with sex, however its how you feel, you will know. I'm sure other people will fill you in some more chucks.

Indianlight asked:

Hi, It's me again.

I was bypassed at Walsall Manor on Weds 1st April so am very new to the 'losing' side!

As Allie said, at WM we were injected nightly with Clexane. Then we had a month's supply to take home to self-inject.

Post-op diets vary from surgeon to surgeon, but at WM we were told:

Free fluids for the first 28 days which includes water, tea, coffee, Oxo/Bovril, clear soups (no bits), fruit juices (Made half & half with water), squashed diluted or made into ice cubes to suck.

No fizzy drinks at all.

As Allie says, beware of sugar!

You healthcare provider should issue you dietary advice for pre and post-op.

See previous. Some people don't find sugar a problem, but to be honest, this is the best time you'll ever have to re-educate your taste buds and eating style, so why bother unless you really have to? :D Opt for sugar-free or sugar substitute.

I am waiting until after I have had my first post-op consultation with my surgical team. I remember from my C-section days that it was 6 weeks. I'm happy with that as the body is healing inside as well as out.

I would say that it's down to the individual, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your healthcare provider. It also depends on what procedure you are having. I felt quite comfortable with a horizontal C-section scar to resume intimacies fairly soon, but this time round, with a long vertical scar, I am very nervous and will just take it day by day until I feel ready.

You will probably have doubts and certainly post-op a major (or a few major) 'WTF have I done to myself?!' moments.

Listen to your body and listen to and take your surgeon's advice.

Thanks

You're welcome. Keep talking.;)

Hi, It's me again.

Thanks

1) Don't know what that is? (Was never given any heh)

2) I pre bought a load of stuff, but still haven't had any of it lol.

3) Sugars are bad for me deffo. Once it hits my insides It's lie down (or fall) shaking and hyperventilating heh.

4) You're supposed to walk for 30 mins each day post op (or so I was told) after my 6 weeks check-up, was told I can do whatever I liked as I had asked about going to the gym. Not been yet still a bit worried I'll do myself a mischief heh.

5) What's sex? ;)

6) Probably, but everyone will be different and have different things happen. One thing I have noticed and has really pi$$ed me off is that things DO taste different :(

I got the nurse at my GPs to do mine. Am needle phobic and couldn't let hubby do it. I had them for 5 days after discharge

Mostly soup and yoghurt, your provider should give you full diet sheets and access to a dietician.

Avoid any sugar content that shows more than 5g per 100g. Natural sugars are more easily tolerated, so you should be ok with fresh fruit juice etc. Be aware that refined carbs are broken down into sugars and so can contribute to dumping and should be avoided.

I tried at 4 weeks post op and it was too soon. I waited till I had the all clear at my 6 week check.

4 days :)

everything! research is the key to successful surgery.

Yes, I had to give them to myself for 5 days after discharge (I was only in hospital overnight)

During the liquid stage (my first 2 weeks post-op) I used oxo cubes, plain yogurt, sugar-free jellies, protein drinks (low carb kind), strained soups & ice lollies. You should be given instructions by your surgical team as to what to eat & and for how long.

Table sugar should be avoided completely. Natural sugars found in fruit & dairy should be okay but start slowly. Always read labels and shy away more from things that list sugar as one of the first 3-5 ingredients as well as the 5g/100g rule.

I was given the all clear by my surgeon at 6 weeks. It will also depend on if you have open or keyhole surgery.

Really until you feel comfortable. I waited 1 week but was very careful and made sure it wasn't too vigorous:).

Read, read, read is all I can say. Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies is a good start.

Best of luck!

Nic:D

Back