• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food question..having operation monday

emma-louise

my new life!!
hi all..

well Im nearly there! Ive almostr lost a stone now on pre op diet,so Im very happy(diet for 4 weeks though)
my questions are;

does anyone know when looking on food labels,to avoid dumping is there an amount of sugars/carbs to avoid per grams so you dont dump!
If that makes any sense..
and how much water do you need to drink throughout the day..

thanks all xxxx

My dietician said 5g per 100g of fat, and 8g per 100g of sugar.

However, there are 13g per 100g sugar in Skinny Cow ice cream and she said that would be fine as I wouldn't be having 100g of ice cream.

Water, don't know sorry but I'm getting through about 1.5 litres.

hi all..

well Im nearly there! Ive almostr lost a stone now on pre op diet,so Im very happy(diet for 4 weeks though)
my questions are;

does anyone know when looking on food labels,to avoid dumping is there an amount of sugars/carbs to avoid per grams so you dont dump!
If that makes any sense..
and how much water do you need to drink throughout the day..

thanks all xxxx

As regards sugar: look at the carbs box and then under that it shows a breakdown of how much of that is sugar. My dietician also told me 8g of sugar (per100g) or below would be fine, but actually I'm very sensitive and anything above 5g per 100g causes me bother. I also find that for me it is the percentage as well as the volume (if you get me: ie, I couldn't risk a skinny cow ice cream like Karen's dietician says because I KNOW I would dump!) but every one is different of course.

Aim for 2-3 litres, but you won't hit anything like that at first! Include tea, coffee etc but don't drink too much of these as they are diuretic (ie make you wee!) so they cause you to lose fluids.

Get some No Sugar ice pops, they're fluid in frozen form (you don't buy them frozen) and very refreshing and easy to get down.

It's all getting very exciting now eh?

As regards sugar: look at the carbs box and then under that it shows a breakdown of how much of that is sugar. My dietician also told me 8g of sugar (per100g) or below would be fine, but actually I'm very sensitive and anything above 5g per 100g causes me bother. I also find that for me it is the percentage as well as the volume (if you get me: ie, I couldn't risk a skinny cow ice cream like Karen's dietician says because I KNOW I would dump!) but every one is different of course.

Aim for 2-3 litres, but you won't hit anything like that at first! Include tea, coffee etc but don't drink too much of these as they are diuretic (ie make you wee!) so they cause you to lose fluids.

Get some No Sugar ice pops, they're fluid in frozen form (you don't buy them frozen) and very refreshing and easy to get down.

It's all getting very exciting now eh?

HI CHARIS,

yes very nervous,Im worried about these food labels,it seems too confusing,hope it comes with time!
I reckon Im going to be sensitive to dumping,my vitamins the doc gives me makes me feel sick,and throughout my second pregancy I lost two stones throwing up all the time..I thinks Im a sickly person..fingers crossed I wont be though.
When u have dumped what do you do to ease it?

HI CHARIS,

yes very nervous,Im worried about these food labels,it seems too confusing,hope it comes with time!
I reckon Im going to be sensitive to dumping,my vitamins the doc gives me makes me feel sick,and throughout my second pregancy I lost two stones throwing up all the time..I thinks Im a sickly person..fingers crossed I wont be though.
When u have dumped what do you do to ease it?

Emma-Louise it does sound like you might be sensitive; as I was like you in pregnancy and I also puke very easily too. There isn't much you can do about about dumping when it's happened, apart from sit quiet, rest, get to a loo if you need one, and wait for it to pass.
If you are a dumper, you do get expert at reading labels pretty quickly! Try not to worry, it's a learning curve and you will be fine.
Just focus on getting through the op for now, and you know we'll all be here for you on the other side when you need us. xxxx

Emma-Louise, i feel the same, i'm more worried about things when i get home, than i am going through the actual surgery! At least we shall be on the same page so to speak!!!!

Aim for at least 2 - 3 litres of fluids a day! It doesn't all have to be plain water, you can count your tea/coffee/soups/shakes... As Charis said get the no sugar tip tops and suck on them, you get fed up of sip sip sip at some point its nice to have something to crunch on xxx

Back