• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass or band? Which clinic to choose? Head spinning!

simplylucy

Well I thought I had decided on my choice of surgery, gastric band, but after reading more and more information I'm now unsure. I think I'd be more suited to the bypass.

I am booked in for an appointment with a clinic on 5th June but having read a lot of threads on here I'm a bit scared to use them. I know I've probably just been unfortunate and read the horror stories but it's been enough to put me off. I'll loose £50 if I cancel the appointment but that really isn't the end of the world is it!

I've just made an appointment with SW Bariatric in Taunton and I'm going next Tuesday to chat with a nurse about my options. I'm really keen on the Bypass surgery. I feel I'd slip to easily with a band, and need a full on life changing option.

It's going to cost me a lot more than I bugeted, time to get more stuff on Ebay I think! Wonder if I could sell the other half and the children! :8855:

good luck Lucy x

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Stick around & let us know which you choose

xxx

Hi,
I was in a similar situation to you. I actually went for a band 4 years ago but due to complications in theatre I didnt have one fitted! However I plucked yup enough courage and saw gp and surgeon. My surgeon is pro band however as I had type 2 diabetes I was more keen for bypass. I read everything I could get my hands on and finally opted for bypass. Surgery was on 2nd March , all medication stopped for diabetes within 10 days and now 6 stone lighter.
I did speak to SW bariatric team, as well as where I went, and the nurse there was lovely. Sorry cant remember her name. She was the one who actually advised me which research to read.
Anyway for me it boiled down to 2 reasons to opt for bypass. 1. Due to complications my surgery had to be open not laparoscopic. 2. The remission rate for diabetes was significantly improved following bypass.
Good luck with your decision. It is tough.

I would think you'll be seeing Nicky? She's great as are the rest of the team. Just be honest about your eating habits and they will be able to then advise you on the absolute best choice. I have had my share of battles with my band but I think I am going to just keep working with it. It's just as much of a committment if not more so with a bypass from what I read here. Making a BIG change in our eating and exercise is paramount no matter what you go for because you can gain weight again with any option. We have to grab the help the op gives us and then do a lot of work to make sure it is successful and stays successful.
Good luck lovey x

Good luck with your choice. A few years ago when i was first contemplating wls i wanted a band but was pointed towards a bypass by the surgeon. From what i have since learned i realise i would never have been able to stick with the rules with the band as i have no willpower....

Wishing you all the best in whichever path you take to a new you xxx

Hi Lucy

As Neen said be honest with what your eating habbits are as this can really help you decide the best option for you.

I was a volume eater and the band has stopped that for me. Whichever op you go for WLS is a tool to help you achieve your goal, willpower and a commitment to healthy eating is required for each option - all the best on your journey x

Honesty is definatly the key Lucy, i too went to see my surgeon saying "i want a band please" but once i told him about my eating habits he told me the bypass would be better as i snacked continually on sweets and chocolate! I was terrified but 8 months on i so love my bypass and what its done for me. I went privately so understand the head spin as i didn't know where to start, but i researched, talked to people who had the surgery and looked up various surgeons and their qualifications/results.Good luck with your decision Lucy xx

Thanks for the replys.

I think I can answer my own debate between band and bypass. As I dip my hand into the bag of sweets beside me again :rolleyes:, I realise my sweet tooth will always win over a band. After reading about dumping I know I need the threat of something so horrid to keep me on track. I realise my eating habits will need to change dramatically no matter what option I choose. I'm prepared for that, and actually very excited about it.

I'm not really a volume eater, I snack, mainly on sweet things. I skip meals then grab a bar of chocolate instead because I think I'm hungry or feeling woozey. :eek:

I will only ever be able to afford to have surgery once, they'll be no going back to change a band for a bypass. Therefore I feel I'm best going for the bypass, the better option in my eyes, and personally for me.

For me it was easy - I eat lots and snack in between. basically I am a human hoover:8855:
So - bypass :)

About the clinic... As I am going privately I chose Dr. Bruno Dillemans in Brudges.
I sort of went not with what clinic to choose but which surgeon would suit me more.
After lots of research (taking into consideration money issue as well) I chose him.

Good luck with whatever you choose :)

Hi Lucy, I am having a bypass at Taunton hopefully in July. I hope you can decide which is best for you, the band or bypass, but like you, tend to go without meals and have a bar of chocolate instead, so think the bypass is my best option.
It will be good to follow your journey, take care xxxx

My appointment is with Nicky, the letter arrived this morning!

I've definatly decided on the Bypass, even with the extra cost.

My sister came over yesterday and I plucked up the courage to explain to her what I was doing. She is over the moon for me and possibly more excited about it than me. She is a little worried I'm going to be slimmer than her (she has always been the slim one), so says she's going to try extra hard to loose her excess 2 stone!

The best news is, she has just offered me the extra money I need on an interest free loan. Oh I love my big sister so much. She only just phoned me to make the offer, we've both been on the phone in tears! :wave_cry:

I'm so happy.

Plan of action -

* GP appointment on Monday 24th to explain my plans to him (don't just want a letter informing him).

* First appointment with Nicky on Tuesday 25th.

Think I'll have to start one of those diarys and keep track from day 1.

Oh bit more good news.....I've lost 2lb this week!

Yes definately and awesome sister you have there! It's going to help so much having a supportive family around you and a great "get slim and fit buddy" in your sis as well.
Nicky is really lovely and will look after you , make sure you explain your reasons for wanting the bypass over the band and understand and accept the long term committments you have to make for it.
There's a lot more bypassers on here so you will have a mind boggling amount of info and opportunities to swap ideas etc.
Just really be receptive to what they advise at hospital as well as they can be objective.
Good luck hunny x

What a kind and thoughtful sister you have got! I think many of us bypassers originally went with the idea of having a band fitted. Many of us were steered towards a bypass by the surgeon and I'm pleased he changed my mind for me. I definitely would not be 6.5 stone lighter if I'd had the band, I would just be addicted to melted chocolate. :17729:

It still takes ages to get used to though, after 7 months I am, at this very moment, having a mild dumping episode because I had a biscuit, silly me, feeling rubbish, serves me right!:slap:

Back