• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

To Band or Bypass?

Daisyhappy!

I thought I was 100% about the band but the more research I do the more the bypass is looking like the most successful option. So I'm back to square one really.
Can you lovely losers tell me what you personally consider the pros and cons of each?
I feel the articles I'm finding are all quite biased!
Thanks in advance x

I was the same, i wanted the band, then did loads of research and asked questions and decided the bypass was going to be the best way for me, can you get to any support meetings ???

People are quite invested in the surgery they have had and it's hard to get away from their emotional attachment.

I had the band - despite the surgeon's recommendation that I had a bypass. Sadly, it hasn't worked for me and I have had to have it completely emptied. I have funding in place for a revision to a bypass and trying to decide whether to go ahead with it.

I would say - listen to what your surgeon says.

Have you considered the Sleeve? :D x x

Thanks for confusing me further pigsgalore :) only joking I just know nothing about the sleeve?
This is very hard work :(
Flowersofshona- How did you find the bypass and recovery period etc?
Weeble- really sorry to hear the band didn't work out for you, what went wrong? How do you feel about the bypass yourself?

I'm with you, i have wanted a band, then a sleeve, now i'm firmly set on bypass. Good luck x

I had some terrible side effects from the band

1. Uncontrollable wind. I have constant gurgling of wind through my stomach and bowels.
2. Reflux – before I had the band I suffered from reflux and took Omeprozole to control this. After the operation I tried Lansoprazole. Neither of these stopped the reflux and my asthma got to the point where I found it difficult to breathe.
3. Vomiting or productive burping. The tightness of the band seemed to vary and sometimes, even when eating small amounts very slowly and without drinking, I spent the hour after eating vomiting up food that is stuck in my throat.

The reflux was the worst thing though and when I saw Mr Ammori he told me that I shouldn't have had the band because he knows it can cause or exacerbate reflux. I asked about the sleeve and he said that does the same and the only option for me is the bypass.

I don't really know how I feel - I'm just gutted that I have to take this sort of drastic step to be able to lose weight.

I looked at the band but was put off by the fill idea myself as I don't like needles. I felt the bypass was better for me and its what the hospital team felt I would do best with.
Talk it over with your team hun see what they feel is best for you and why? Look at your eating habits and as I was told don't just look at the next 12-24 months look at the rest of your life which do you feel you could live and work with?
Good luck in what ever op you go for xx

It's so hard when choosing I wanted the band originally. But after a lot of research chose the sleeve as I would probably cheat the band and it takes a long time to find the sweet spot also look at post op complications which are higher with the band. The bypass was never really a option for me as I'm a single parent and didn't like the thought if I dumped badly on something that I might not be able to look after her and a riskier op, the sleeve was a good middle ground with very good results. It still comes with risks but just seemed like a good option for me. Everyone has reasons they choose there ops like diabetes which bypass would be best option and what kind of eater you are. There have been success stories with every op, it comes down to which op suites you. As long as you do your research of which op you could see yourself living with and succeeding with. x x x

I had my heart set on a band, I went for assessment at the L&D but feel at the psych assessment, it was hard to deal with having secured funding. I went away got a letter to say that the "issues" were dealt with and have recently secured funding again, I have read up on the sleeve and I love the idea of it, so I will be attending my appointment with a more open mind. Very excited at having it done. The sleeve appears to have the best of both worlds, my BMI is 50.8 so I am hoping the surgeon allows me to have it done and doesn't insist on a bypass. Good Luck in whichever you decide.

When I had surgery the sleeve wasn't an option, and my surgeon recommended the bypass. It has worked really well for me, and I would have it done again tomorrow. I've had post op complications, I have chronic malabsorption so my absorption rate is much lower than average (hence I have to eat lots more), and I developed reactive hypoglycaemia (random blood sugar drops) when I was pregnant post op. But these are both manageable and part of my life now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

It seems that everyone is very in favour of the type of surgery that they choose- which is natural because they chose it! My surgeon was very pro-sleeve as this seems to be the best of both worlds in their eyes, but for me the idea of removing or altering a perfectly healthy organ was barbaric. Its a very personal choice and whatever you choose is right ...for you. My band operation was simple and quick- no complications.....recovery was around a week and I'll never be deficient in nutrition. Weightloss is a lot slower than with a bypass/sleeve but I have a sort of satisfaction of knowing that I'm just getting help to control my eating myself so long term I'm going to conquer my food demons and control it. BUT, I didn't have any medical conditions pre-op and if I'd had diabetes or other stuff going on I might well have chosen differently because no doubt a bypass/sleeve helps tremendously with these conditions.
Be guided by your bariatric team- they will help you decide best but I can only say that I love my band :) xx

Well put mrspill!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Perhaps my situation my be of help as I have had both band and bypass.

Due to financial constraints I decided to have a band despite the surgeon telling me that due to my eating habits the bypass would be better for me. So I went ahead and had the operation in November 2009.

It didn't take me long to discover that slider foods were far more comfortable to get down and keep down than solid foods. I spent so much time hanging over the toilet sliming and gagging food back up to relieve the pain of stuck food that I tended to graduate to soft foods that went down more easily. I also found that I wasn't satisfied with slider foods and began to eat more. I also couldn't get rid of my grazer habits and ate many more times than I should. Also found that chocolate and ice cream slipped down a treat.

The band is suitable for someone who doesn't graze or pick but who just eats too much at one meal. If someone has little self control when it comes to cakes, ice cream, chocolate and crisps then the band is too easily cheated. For someone with discipline and more self control the band is perfect.

It didn't take long for my initial weight loss to grind to a halt and so in September I had the band removed and had a bypass instead. I haven't looked back. So scared to touch anything sweet or fatty now in case I dump and having no appetite and feeling satisfied with tiny portions is fantastic.

Don't get me wrong. I am finding it extremely embarrassing relating my failure with the band and I will always feel a failure because of it. I just want to prevent someone making the same "costly" mistake as I did. If it were not for a legacy left to me I would not have been able to have the revision but I still feel guilty for spending so much money on myself.

If someone is getting funding it is even more imperative that they make the correct decision prior to surgery.

If you don't eat a lot between meals and can resist snacking. If you don't have a particularly sweet tooth and have a more healthy relationship with food then the band will probably be perfect for you.

If you are a grazer, have a sweet tooth, not so much self control around food or after years od failed diets have a slow metabolism then I would go for the bypass.

This is just my personal view and nothing I suggest should undermine the advice of your surgeon. But please be completely honest with him and remember that their advice on which procedure to have is based on years of experience and they know what they are talking about.

Also remember that with a band there is is a certain amount of maintenance and with the bypass there is a lifelong regime of vitamin supplementation to follow due to only around 30% of calories and nutrients being absorbed.

Hope this might help

I was offered both ( band or bypass) and even though the surgeon wanted to give me bypass I opted for the band and I am jolly glad I did, I did have post op trouble ( my port over turned and had to have that corrected and once that was dealt with and I had my first big fill ( 3mil in a 7 mil band) things got moving ever since. From November 2010 to date I have gone from 17st 2 to now 9st 10lbs ( a loss of 106lbs altogether and went from a size 24/26 to now a size 10/12) I have been really lucky and not needed another fill since Feb this year ( as any bander knows this can change)and I reached my original goal (2 be 10st) in about ten months - I hope you reach a decision to what operation to have, at the end of the day personally for me it was about my eating habits/food choices and thats why I chose the band - All the best - MeJulie xx

Wow I really appreciate all the very informative replies! I've been reading them and researching all day and believe it or not I'm actually even more confused ha because now I'm also considering the sleeve :) AGH!! It kind of seems a nice Inbetween but also I love the idea of the band and really changing my ways but having a helping hand, yet I love the idea of the bypass because from all the forums etc I've looked on, the bypassers seem a lot happier with their results afterwards.
Basically I'm still right back at square one, I have my consultation on 30th and yes I know the surgeon will guide me, but I'm a bit dubious as I'm going private-the bypass costs a lot lot more so I hope he doesn't steer me in any direction because of price. Sigh!
What a hard decision!x

Thanks for confusing me further pigsgalore :) only joking I just know nothing about the sleeve?
This is very hard work :(
Flowersofshona- How did you find the bypass and recovery period etc?
Weeble- really sorry to hear the band didn't work out for you, what went wrong? How do you feel about the bypass yourself?

Sorry to confuse you :ashamed0005: lol, I knew nothing until my surgeon suggested it in May ha ha..... I was firmly fixed on having a band but the sleeve looks so much better for me.... I suppose you have to explore the options with your surgeon and team to ensure you have the right surgery for you :) x x

I originally went for a band but my surgeon said he wouldn't do the band due to my eating habits, well I am 6 days post op and I have to say I am extremely happy with how things are going, my recovery has been easier and quicker than I could ever have dreamed was possible, I was expecting so much more pain than I have, in fact a lot of the time I dont even feel like I have had anything done! :)

Well it seems my mind has been made up for me!
I rang the provider this morning and asked a few questions, it turns out that going private the bypass is 15k! I thought it was only a slight bit more expensive than the band!
I also feel a bit better knowing it has to be the band and I'll work my arse off to make it work for me. The bypass does sound amazing, as does the sleeve but I just have a "gut" feeling-geddit :) about the band.
Thanks so much for all the great advice!

Back