• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

To Band or Bypass?

Not all providers will charge that much for a bypass, a lot charge around £10k with a sleeve being cheaper still.

If hospital location for the op is not so much of an issue it might be worth shopping around?!

Daisy, I've been in much the same situations as you! For the last while I've been scouring the internet looking for stories to help me try to come to a clear decision. I'm fairly certain I don't want the band, but the clinic I'm dealing with does mostly band and bypass. They do sleeve as well but not as often, so I think if I want it I may have to make a case for myself with the surgeon. Bypass seems scary, the band seems like it's just not enough and is too much faffing around... I feel the sleeve is very much a 'happy medium'.

Still not 100% sure what direction I will be going in though. I guess I will know after my intake on Nov 8th.

Hope it all works out for you!

Hi Daisyhappy, I couldnt agree more with everything that Josiegirl has said. I went along to an open event. Thinking about going for the cheaper option the band. After speaking to the consultant where we discussed my eating habits and the fact that I am a Type 2 diabetic the only 2 options available to me where the Sleeve and the Gastric Bypass. I was self-funding and there was £1,000 difference between the 2 ops.

I went away and researched and researched somemore before going back to my consultant again armed with even more questions where together we decided that the bypass would be the best option for me. Im now 4 weeks post op and I have not suffered any side effects whatsoever. I have always had zero will power and started every diet on this planet and then some but failed miserably. I find that now I dont have any hunger pangs at all and my life is not ruled by food. I admit this is not any easy option to take and you do still have to work at it every day but I am so positive it has really helped me. My only regret is that I didnt get it done years ago. Good luck in whatever you decide I wish you well. xx

Staffiemum you've read my mind, I've been thinking all evening about the bypass. It just seems so much more successful and because I'm private, if there's any issues with the band I'll have to pay more to fix any problems so it could work out as expensive. Also I'm worried about having another baby with the bypass, having enough nutrients etc. I really wish there was somewhere here-Dublin- that I.could go to discuss all this but there only seems to be band surgeons and bypass surgeons seperatly and it costs 150 just to speak to them :(
Really considering going to Belgium!

Just to insert my two cents worth, I was wanting the band for a while because I liked the idea that it was removable and not permanent. What I didn't think about until a friend pointed it out it to me is that the band has to be adjusted each month, requiring an office visit, and that the maintenance on it is much higher than the bypass. I was all set to have bypass and then I met with my surgeon. I have 80-90# to lose, and he suggested doing the sleeve instead. That's how I ended up with the sleeve. Good luck in your choice. I second what others have said, trust your surgeon.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks purpletar :)
I'm having real trouble finding a surgeon who does all ops. Over here its a case where you decide which one you want and some Inbetween clinic charge you a fortune to meet with the surgeon of your choice ie. Bypass, band or sleeve.
Grrr damn Ireland!

What I didn't think about until a friend pointed it out it to me is that the band has to be adjusted each month,

Sorry Purpletmar - thats not the case at all! I'm 2 1/2 years post op and have had 5 adjustments (I think). They have all been done at clinic appointments where any patient can attend for a weigh in, get some dietry advice etc, etc. I have met many bypassers at the clinics.

@ Daisy - In my humble opinion aftercare wether thats at a clinic or by phone is vital. Its certainly something you would need to check out if you were to go to Belguim.

What would happen (god forbid) if something went wrong with your bypass or sleeve, are you sure you wouldnt have to pay more?!

You are doing the right thing researching and ultimatley the choice is yours but you need to take into account your eating habbits, how much you want to lose and the aftercare element too!

Good luck x

Staffiemum you've read my mind, I've been thinking all evening about the bypass. It just seems so much more successful and because I'm private, if there's any issues with the band I'll have to pay more to fix any problems so it could work out as expensive. Also I'm worried about having another baby with the bypass, having enough nutrients etc. I really wish there was somewhere here-Dublin- that I.could go to discuss all this but there only seems to be band surgeons and bypass surgeons seperatly and it costs 150 just to speak to them :(
Really considering going to Belgium!

The clinic I am dealing with has most of their surgeries done in Belgium (I am in the Netherlands), maybe we'll end up in the same place! :p

I wasn't sure what surgery I wanted (other than knowing it would be necessary for me) when I applied for funding 2 years ago.

When I saw the surgeon last year he said band wasn't really an option as some of my meds aren't suitable except while and would get stuck! He was also concerned about a bypass and absorption of my meds so suggested a sleeve with the option to convert later if he's not happy with my level of weight loss at 12-18 months post op.

Another year down the line and lots of reading later, I'm glad I'm having a sleeve as there are so many success stories out there.

I just wish they would get on and give me a darned date and get it over and done with!

Tatiana

Last edited:
Back