• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass or lap band ?

bobo

Hi everyone , i just wanted some advice , i am quite far down the line waiting for surgery and initially wanted a lap band but after going to a meeting decided that a bypass would be more suitable . I have never had sugery before so im really nervous and after a while decided a lap band was less risky , but after coming on here im thinking a bypass again ha , i have about ten stone to loose and im a snacker at home but when im working i eat three big meals , i kind of do both really, anyone been in the same situation ? any horror stories with the bypass ? thanks guys x:confused:

gaelic girl

Loving Being a Loser
Hi Bobo
I was in the sme position went to my consultation saying i want a band please and two months later was recovering from a bypass!! I was a snacker and loved anything and everything sweet especially chocolate so i quickly realised i could/possibly would cheat with a band, i don't have a fantastic willpower. I have abot 9 to ten stone to lose too so far its just over 6 and a half since August so well on the way. There are risks with any surgery an yes i was frightened at the extent of a bypass but i knew i was at more risk if i stayed the way i was continuing to put on more what my life was rapidly being cut short. I was so lucky i have never had a bit of pain or any side effects ( i had keyhole bypass done privately)and 6 months on still get so excited as i watch my confidence grow and my life change so much for the better. Good luck with your decision in the end you have to do what feels right for you xx

Mandie

Hi bobo
i was like you when choosing which wls , but i stuck to the band , as i didn't like the idea of being cut and calved, but saying that i am dissapointed that the weight isn't falling off, once the fills start i hope to see a better loss.
There are some banders on here that have done really well so there is good and bad points with both i supose . Good luck whatever you decide.x

bobo

wow , well done on your loss thats brilliant , you sound just like me , i am a chocoholic and have no will power , thats whats got me into this situation , thats why i have this nagging feeling to go for the bypass. Thanks for your advice, i dont see the consultant till may so hopefully it will be fine to change my mind x

bobo

Thanks mandie , i think the hospital i go to do it by kehole but im not 100% , you have done really well , keep up the good work xx

SOON SLIM SUE

types with one finger
hi bobo, have you ever thought of having the sleeve? it comes in the middle of band and bypass.
sue.

jaynefrances

I knew that because my weakness was food choices rather than portion size and particularly for slider foods and sweet stuff that the bypass would be my best option.
I felt that you need some willpower to work with a band (and i greatly admire those who have succeeded with a band) but i knew that i had none and would cheat with it. I'm four weeks post op and the only pangs i get are when i think of my favourite desserts that i may never experience again (i know how irrational that sounds but the thoughts still pop up occasionally) These are far surpassed though by the fantastic weight loss though and i wouldn't change a thing x x

bobo

thanks jane , how long did you wait from your appointment with Mr Small to your surgery day ? i thought it would be a few months but i got told it would be quick ? x

jaynefrances

Group seminar Jan 28th 09, clinic appointment May 09, 2nd Clinic appointment Oct 5th 09. I was told at the Oct appointment that it would be approximately 18 weeks till surgery but i got offered a vacant slot at short notice so it was just under 18 weeks for me. They phoned me and said do you want your op in 10 days time and that i had to start the liver diet immediately ! It was a shock but i guess it gave me less time to panic !
Have you been to any of the Sunderland support meetings yet ?

bobo

Thanks for that , iv not been yet but hopefully will get to the next one , maybe see you there xx

BIG KIM

I am a *NEW* Man!
I wasn't offered a choice, my surgeon told me that the Bypass was the only option for me, and that was that. :)

phatmomma

From my understanding it is easier to cheat with the band. You can still make the bad food choices (chocolate etc) and you have to have tremendous willpower.

Well if i had tremendous willpower i wouldn't be fat now would i?

samsmum

The risks with the bypass are usually round the time of the surgery but with the band risks (slippage, erosion) can happen years out with the band.

Read up on all types of surgery before your appointment but ask for their advice. My surgeon asked me about what type of eater I was and said a band would be good but I said I did not like the idea of a foreign body being left inside me so he gave me a bypass.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Katie_25

Hiya, I am a bander and I'm really pleased with the option I went for. I did go private with a band in mind, the surgeon told me that due to my BMI and amount to lose (around 8 stone) I would suit either procedure and was in the middle ground. I went for the band as the thought of the bypass scared me, I didn't like the idea of being moved around inside, wheras if there are any problems with the band it can be removed and everything should be as it were... not so easy if there are any problems with the bypass. I'm 3 and a half months in now and i've lost 3 stone, so i'm really pleased with my progress.
My main issue was portion sizes and therefore the band supports with this, I do also like the odd sweet treat and snack and I did worry that I would be tempted to 'cheat' with these, however I must say that I do not feel hunger or have cravings as I used to, since having the band, therefore I don't feel the desire for these foods as often as I thought I would.
So it's down to personal preference really, speak to your consultant further and do plenty of research before you make your decision, there's lots of support and advice out there... I wish you well with whichever procedure you decide to go for.

x