• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass staples...

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
Can the staples that divide the stomach come lose or break open over time?

(all the mad questions that keep popping into my head!)

don't know about staples as Mr Khan the surgeon at Walsall hand sows the new pouch

no after 6 months your join is the same as if u have never had surgery

so it kinda heals over? even across the stomach where it staples off the pouch?

Mr Mannur uses staples and sutures he believes this way there is less chance of leaking. Double security is how he put it

no after 6 months your join is the same as if u have never had surgery

Sorry this is wrong, it is possible to break the staples apart, this is mainly by over eating and forcing the joins apart, rarely though does the staple line fail through manufacturing or application fault. bypass failure happens for many reasons normally though caused by the complacentcy of the paitent longer term !

Dont worry though, you'd have to be seriously abusing your pouch over a long period of time to stretch it enough to break the staple line between your own stomach and the new pouch !

Thanks silversurfer

lets just assume they could and did stretch or break, and food/liquid was able to get into the old larger part of the stomach, what would happen??

Is there still an outlet from the old part of the stomach into the lower part of the digestive system, or would anything that got in there just sit and rot??? :sigh::sigh::sigh:

no the old part of the stomach is still attached to the bowel, if you look at a pic you will see what i mean. x

Thats nearly right - the section of upper GI cut is joined back into the intestine just passed the bottom of the roux limb, this way gastric juices etc from the old stomach section can seep back into and through the intestine !

If you manage to pop open the staples (and it can happen) food or fluid would be allowed back into the main remaining stomach and you would find your able to consume more food in one sitting.

Any failure would require further corrective surgery.

Please dont be conserned though, i've read that its very rare for surgical revision to be needed, it can and does happen, but you'd need to really be abusing the bypass for this to happen, most people follow the rules and will never experience this, the studies i've read were about surgical failure in the US which was mainly due to the paitent continuing to heavily over eat post bypass.

Back