• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass & Sugar..Help PLease!!

indianlight

I've just been on my first trip to asda since my bypass! Hurray a day out!!!

anyway, I'm still on puree but was looking at potential food to puree and I got myself confused over the sugar issue. I know its early days, and someone said I dont need to worry yet but i'd rather get into good habits now and not suddenly find a food ive been eating is now making me dump.

Can someone please clarify what i should be looking out for in food please.

Debra
xx

My guidelines were to aim below 5g per 100g in any food. But then natural sugars from fruit are different.

You're best looking at the information you should have got as different areas offer different advice!

Thanks Mixman, the problem i've got is that my info doesn't give an amount to look out for, it just says 'low sugar' or avoid foods with added sugar. Thats all very well but its better if you have number as a guideline...think i'l use yours, but will double check when i next speak to my dietician.

Soz cant help you with the amounts of sugars but how bout maybe making your own puree stuff that way you are 100% for sure what is inside and hopefully that will prevent you from dumping.
Take care xx

Own puree is best to begin with. Everyone's tolerance is different. Natural sugars seem ok for me but I've been warned against trying honey. I look for 'no added sugar' or sugar free now. I had a dumping experience with some supposedly freshly squeezed orange at a restaurant - it must have had added sugar because I dumped immediately.
For now just concentrate on puree eating 'normally' will come soon enough. I know it seems like purgatory at the moment, but the time will pass quickly and the weight loss will make you feel that it's all been worthwhile. x x

I was told to look for things with 5-6g of sugar or less initially, then later on you can sort of 'test' and find out your tollerance level. Everybody is different, which is sort of annoying!

I am still on purees too, and I was really looking forward to smoothies but I am scared of dumping now.

It really is a mine field isn't it?

Rx

I love your description Mixman!!!
It can also give you the runs and make you very drowsy. Some people have to go and lie down and sleep for a few hours before they feel any better.

Rebirth

thanks all...Gaynor I don't mind listening to you band or bypass lol x

Things you could tolerate would be any juices that dont have sugar in them - there are some out there - I would stay away from orange as I found it quite hard going at the beginning. Innocent do a kids range of smoothies which are sugar free - five in a box. I made milkshakes with fresh strawberries and bananas and skimmed milk all blended together and they went down very well. Muller Light yogurt is also ok. Most things have some form of sugar in them but if you stay away from the obvious - sweets, biscuits, cakes, chocolate, honey etc and use artifical sweetner in your beverages or with your cereals, you will be fine. Its a bit of a shopping minefield at first but you soon get used to it! Good luck.

Josie, I think it is a bit like hypo. I was borderline diabetic before any wls and I used to get that sort of feeling and since my bypass i've had a couple of similar feelings (not as strong) but think it was a warning...

Things you could tolerate would be any juices that dont have sugar in them - there are some out there - I would stay away from orange as I found it quite hard going at the beginning. Innocent do a kids range of smoothies which are sugar free - five in a box. I made milkshakes with fresh strawberries and bananas and skimmed milk all blended together and they went down very well. Muller Light yogurt is also ok. Most things have some form of sugar in them but if you stay away from the obvious - sweets, biscuits, cakes, chocolate, honey etc and use artifical sweetner in your beverages or with your cereals, you will be fine. Its a bit of a shopping minefield at first but you soon get used to it! Good luck.

Hiya
Are you sure these innocent kids smoothies are ok? I sent hubby to the shop for them after reading this and each carton seems to have at least 20g of sugar in, is this really ok to drink cos I am scared now!!
Rx

I wouldn't drink them, I know everyones different but when I looked at them I thought they were too high, but then again when I looked at slimfast they were massively high!! I suppose you could try a little and see how you are with it? x

I've dumped on half a banana before now so be careful with these smoothie drinks. You wait till your reading all the labels, you'll be amazed at just how much sugar there is in most food and drink especially some of the so called diet stuff and weight watchers.

We were told no more than 5g of sugar in every 100g building it up to no more than 10g in every 100g by about three months post op.

as long as sugar isnt in the ingreidiants list you should be ok with the innocent for kids smoothies but only the ones for kids. all sugar in them is natural sugar from the fruit but like bonita says what one person can eat another may be sensitive to.

Well I drank one last night and was absolutely fine. A bit of gurgling in my tummy but that was all, didn't feel unwell and no diarrhoea so I am happy.

I am going to aim to drink one every evening (hoping they'll help get my bowels moving!)

Rx

Back