• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

bypass sweet tooth fear.

cherylxx

hi everyone,
i have lingered on this forum for some time now and actively read all posts and have posted a few of my own with regards to deciding on band or bypass and referral via weight loss management.
one thing has been playing on my mind considerably as i continue to question my choices.
i know with a bypass there is much more restriction in the food eaten and if im right that includes high fat and chocolate etc.
the thing im struggling with is: if i decided to go ahead with a bypass instead of a band does that mean i could never ever have a slice of chocolate gateau on christmas day, could never eat a slice of chocolate birthday cake, or a few chips or a slice of pie?
as much as i know these foods are bad in any diet and should only ever be an occasional treat in any lifestyle choice, i understand that but not sure i can face the finality of it being a no no for ever more.:sigh:
if that is the case then i totally admire all those of u that have managed to escape such demons from your lives forever, just not sure im strong enough to NEVER have a treat again.:(

Last edited:
hi everyone,
i have lingered on this forum for some time now and actively read all posts and have posted a few of my own with regards to deciding on band or bypass and referral via weight loss management.
one thing has been playing on my mind considerably as i continue to question my choices.
i know with a bypass there is much more restriction in the food eaten and if im right that includes high fat and chocolate etc.
the thing im struggling with is: if i decided to go ahead with a bypass instead of a band does that mean i could never ever have a slice of chocolate gateau on christmas day, could never eat a slice of chocolate birthday cake, or a few chips or a slice of pie?
as much as i know these foods are bad in any diet and should only ever be an occasional treat in any lifestyle choice, i understand that but not sure i can face the finality of it being a no no for ever more.:sigh:
if that is the case then i totally admire all those of u that have managed to escape such demons from your lifes forever, just not sure im strong enough to NEVER have a treat again.:(

Hi there having a bypass does restrict the high sugar foods you can have but it does not mean you will never have them again more like a taster than the huge slices we had before;)

i think everyone is difference with their tolerance but i was told these foods give you dumping syndrome which is meant to be very unpleasent, i couldnt face it either hence why i banded good luck with whichever you choose and im sure there will be lots of bypassers able to answer more fully

i agree thats why i also chose banding because you can have a little of what you fancy in moderation, if the band is abused though and the treats become to often the weight will return.
i to could not face the side effects of a bypass.

You can still eat chocolate and cakes, but in a smaller portion, I made my hubby a valentines cake and had a small slice, REmember, you wont be able to eat a large amount anyways, so a small slice is ok and goes down well, also chocolate is ok too, but only a few pieces and not a full bar, At the end of the day Bypassers can eat anything in moderation.

Yes I agree not everyone dumps...I have had chocolate granted it was only two small pieces but that was enough for me prior to surgery I could of eaten a large bar. So far there is nothing that I want that I cant have. After bypass you get satisfaction with a much smaller amount....to me there are absolutely no draw backs with the bypass whatsoever...I eat like I did before but a lot less...xx

Yes I agree not everyone dumps...I have had chocolate granted it was only two small pieces but that was enough for me prior to surgery I could of eaten a large bar. So far there is nothing that I want that I cant have. After bypass you get satisfaction with a much smaller amount....to me there are absolutely no draw backs with the bypass whatsoever...I eat like I did before but a lot less...xx

Hi charliegirl i have just read your post and thankyou for making me glad i have made the choice to have the bypass on sunday 8th march. :talk017:

ty all for the replies.
its a comfort to read that treats would not be out of the question.
ive never been in two minds so much in my life as i am with the bypass/band scenario.
such a big decision and definately last chance saloon for me.
i am in awe of everyone who is already on the losing side and although i know i probably have a long time to wait until i even see a consultant, i cant help but dream about what may be in the future.

Cheryl - Good luck with your journey, both procedures are a big comitment which ever way you go, my advice would be to read and do some research both on the internet and here about the pros and cons of each, and listen to the advice of your consultant with an open mind, i was dead set on a band, but having talked it all through with my consultant and listening to his advice i realised a bypass would work better for me based on my own unique set of circumstances and criteria !

But remember which ever procedure you choose in the end, be it the bypass or a band, they are both only tools that you have to work with, work against either and you will regain or fail to lose !

I have also had the odd chip and have had no probs but could only manage a couple. I was chocolate mad before my op easy eat 5 bars one after the other but since my op I aint even fancied any
Was at my aunts tonight and she put a small buffet one and everyone else had choc cake and ice cream and I wasnt interested. Its all trial and error what you will tolerate

Good luck with what ever you deside

Hiya

Im 11 months since my bypass and now i can eat nearly anything i want . but just in smaller amounts.

Sometimes i will dump if i eat too much choc but its not that bad .

I can easy go out to dinner now and take anything thats on the menu and not feel like i need to watch what i eat.

But you will find after the bypass your tastes change as mine did and for the better even though i have a chew bar infront of me calling out for me to eat it :D:D:D:D

I have had a bypass and I can eat anything (although I hate fatty foods,rice and pastry now) I found that my tastes changed hated fruit before bypass love it now, never fancy a chocolate biscuit but love a rich tea. I have one biscuit not a packet or a few squares of chocolate not a few bars. The bypass teaches you moderation. So it's not all doom and gloom I am not on a diet I eat normally.

Back