• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass to Sleeve?

Phojay

middle name OPTIMISTIC!!!
Hi

Well, have my op booked for sat and getting more nervous by the day!

Am seriously worried about the recovery time with 3 children at home and partner working but mostly about the malabsorption and long term affects.

I was offered the sleeve as an 'in between' option between the band and bypass and now think maybe this is the better option.

Of course, my brain is still mulling over all the positives and negatives for each procedure and the fast weight loss that comes with the bypass is stopping making me change to the sleeve. I know this is just my impatience, and shouldn't be top of the list when there's saftey etc to consider.

This is doing my nut in now! I never was very good at decisions but never had to make such a life changing one before!

Any advice from bypassers re my worries of recovery and malabsorption or sleevers with positive stories to help me make a decision?

Many thanks for reading my gabble.....

hi like you i have 3 children 7,4&3 and hubby worked at the time off my bypass,i took me 2 weeks to recover and ive never had any proplems with malabsorption as ive all ways took multi vits.my bypass is the very best thing i've ever done ,im the best i've ever been.i got told about sleeves but also got told more goes wrong with them as the staples can come away x x x x x x x i think you made a great decision honey your just nervous x there is not much diffrence between ops so risks are about the same as far as i know x x

I haven't had my surgery yet but if you are thinking you could have a bypass at a later stage, then I would say surely it is better to just have the one op and recovery time than 2. Good luck with your decision I am sure it is probably just last minute nerves. Hope all goes well with your op whatever you decide. When it gets to my turn you can calm my last minute worries because you will know what I am going on about. All the best ((hugs)).

Hi Phojay

I am a 6 wks post op sleever,firstly can i say the decision isnt something that anyone but yourself can decide,anyone can be influenced by what someone tells you.
Everyone has their own views and reasons for whatever wls we decided to have.
I had a failed bypass in Oct last year due to a fatty liver,i had a gastric balloon to help me achieve a reasonable weight loss for another bypass but then i changed my mind to a sleeve as i didnt think it would be as intrusive also i dont need to take vitamins and minerals for the rest of my life,no hair loss and also there is no dumping.
But like i say bypassers have their own reasons for their choice of wls and i am sure they will tell you their reasons.

I am really happy with the sleeve and i feel it was the right proceedure for me.

Whatever you decide i wish you luck,keep us updated .

Where are you having your op and who is your surgeon ?

I've a friend that had a sleeve 8 weeks ago done by the same surgeon as mine, so far she's very happy with hers and happy with the lose, i had a bypass 9 months ago and have absolutely no complications and lost heaps of weight

Guess its horses for courses really.

If it helps any - currently there are no longer term stats for the sleeve to prove that you will maintain the weight lose longer term, many sleeve paitents go on to have a full DS at a later date to lose the weight !

Thats ok SS, haven't come across anybody yet who's had Mr Wong or been to Cardiff! Weight loss surgery in Wales doesn't seem to be that common, they all go across the bridge!

I can understand that - always thought it was strange that you have to pay to get in but they let you out for free !

Anybody willing to be a text buddy???

Would anyone be willing to be my text buddy?

Had a meeting with someone that had had the surgery with my consultant last year and we swapped numbers but I don't really get any response from her!

Have family and friends around (not all know of op tho!) but would really appreciate contact with someone going/gone through same thing.

Many thanks in advance....

Sleeves are getting more and more popular. They have only really been about for a few years, bypasses almost 40 years - so there is a lot more research and info about bypasses. That said, although the sleeve was originally intended to be the first step in a two part process (RNY or DS) - it seems that for some people the sleeve alone is enough.

The op for a sleeve is shorter (about half the time of a bypass). I was told that due to the long staple line with a sleeve, problems can occur, but in balance with the problems that can occur with a bypass - not much difference. Also, long term keeping weight off is also an unknown with a sleeve. But no malabsorption or dumping with a sleeve, which is a plus!

Also, with a sleeve, if the stomach stretches too much only a DS is possible not an RNY - and this has a lot more malabsorption...

In theory the RNY bypass is reversible (although not an easy op). The sleeve is permanent.

If you like sugary foods, then a bypass would be better as you can still eat anything with a sleeve.

If you think you would need a bypass further down the line, then why not just go for it now? saves a second op, op risks and recovery time. Big decision to make...

Pro's and con's both ways (maybe you can tell I have been doing a LOT of thinking about this choice myself!).

Good luck with your op.

At my weight loss meeting last week the surgeon said the bypass was the better option, because u have the restriction plus the malabsorption, which u dont have with the sleeve.

They can change a sleeve into a bypass, but not the other way around.

At my weight loss meeting last week the surgeon said the bypass was the better option, because u have the restriction plus the malabsorption, which u dont have with the sleeve.

They can change a sleeve into a bypass, but not the other way around.

That's true - although the malabsorption with the bypass (RNY) is minimal. I think that may be dumping - i.e. the need to avoid sugary foods may be key in making the decision?

thanx babyflower, you sound like you've been researching hard like me!

I have - but maybe a bit too hard!

I even watched all 3 surgeries (band, bypass and sleeve) in full colour from start to finish on the internet the other week...

Even now, I still don't know which option to go for - I have 3 months before I need to decide when I go and see my surgeon again...

Hi Phojay, I live in Neath in Souith Wales and have just returned from Cz republic on Friday after having the sleeve on Tuesday 30th June.I made the decision to have the sleev as I know 3 people who have had it done from around me who are friends. It cost me £5,000 but I know it is a lot more expensive at The Spire as I looked into it as my family were not keen on me going abroad. I cant say enough about Dr Cierny in Brno who did my op, and the dedicated team they have. I had booked with Cosmetic Bliss, the same as my friends previously. They have lost a stone a month since returning. You will be up and about much quicker after the sleeve, remeber I was well enough to fly home on the Friday 3rd July. I am feeling great, no-body can believe how well i am. I have lost 11 pounds since op 6 days ago so i am well pleased. I will be your text buddy if you like. love Jacqui (Neath) age 53

Back