• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass & ttc

fatnomoreclo

Ok let me say this first, although I'd love to I know it's not wise to try for a baby now as I'm 4 months post op.

Just wondered how long other people waited before trying to conceive, did you conceive quite quick, need fertility help etc

I have quite severe pcos & had the bypass to improve my health & chances of trying to concieve, ttc for 2 years before op I've lost over 7 stone & I my periods had returned (hadn't had any for 3.5 years) am worried that I'll lose all the weight but still won't be able to conceive. I did have metformin which made me really sick so docs stopped it. I know I'm rushing a head of myself & consultant has said wait 12-18 months. It's just everyone around me have either had babies or pregnant. Even though I'm happy for them I can't help feeling a little jealous :( x x

I also have PCOS but im still waiting for my bypass. My consultant couldn't re iterate enough the importance of birth control for two years post op.

All NHS consultants should recommend that you do not become pregnant for two years post bypass. I think it has something to do with the malabsorption, as the baby would not get enough nutrients. Hope this helps a little :)

Hi,

I fell pregnant 8 months post bypass, 2 months before reaching my goal weight. My bariatric team were not impressed! We had tried for over a year a while before my op and got nowhere, so when hubby started pushing for a baby I agreed thinking it would take ages. I caught on my second cycle after we stopped using protection! I don't have pcos though.

The pregnancy from a bypass perspective was fine, there were problems but that was due to my other health problems. I continued to lose weight during the pregnancy but have stabilised since.

There are a few others who have conceived post bypass on here, Salski had pcos and now has a baby girl. There was a lady who conceived less than a month post op too!

Some doctors say just 12 months, some say 24. One important factor is that you have reached a maintenance stage with your weight rather than being in the losing stage still. Although my son and I were ok, I should have waited longer.

One thing to bear in mind is the need to change some of your meds when you start ttc. Multi-vitamin needs to be swapped for a brand designed for pregnancy due to the vitamin A in general ones. If you take lansoprazole you'll need to change to omeprazole, and you'll need a higher dose of folic acid than normal.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I don't know if this helps at all, but I have severe pcos and was able to concieve when lighter pre bypass. but I don't know if I have fertility problems now.

Sweetheart enjoy the practice for now.
Is it really worth putting your's and the baby's health at risk for the sake of a few more months.
I know you want things NOW but get healthy and fit in the next few months so you can enjoy that precious bundle :D

shelbell said:
Hi,

I fell pregnant 8 months post bypass, 2 months before reaching my goal weight. My bariatric team were not impressed! We had tried for over a year a while before my op and got nowhere, so when hubby started pushing for a baby I agreed thinking it would take ages. I caught on my second cycle after we stopped using protection! I don't have pcos though.

The pregnancy from a bypass perspective was fine, there were problems but that was due to my other health problems. I continued to lose weight during the pregnancy but have stabilised since.

There are a few others who have conceived post bypass on here, Salski had pcos and now has a baby girl. There was a lady who conceived less than a month post op too!

Some doctors say just 12 months, some say 24. One important factor is that you have reached a maintenance stage with your weight rather than being in the losing stage still. Although my son and I were ok, I should have waited longer.

One thing to bear in mind is the need to change some of your meds when you start ttc. Multi-vitamin needs to be swapped for a brand designed for pregnancy due to the vitamin A in general ones. If you take lansoprazole you'll need to change to omeprazole, and you'll need a higher dose of folic acid than normal.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Aww thank you so much this has really cheered me up & given me some confidence. Yea my team said 12-18 months would be fine, thank you so much xxx

Paula Lewis said:
I also have PCOS but im still waiting for my bypass. My consultant couldn't re iterate enough the importance of birth control for two years post op.

All NHS consultants should recommend that you do not become pregnant for two years post bypass. I think it has something to do with the malabsorption, as the baby would not get enough nutrients. Hope this helps a little :)

Yea I've had this convo with my consultant & she said a year/year & a half will be fine! But thank you very much for replying & lots of luck when you get your bypass xx

Yvessa said:
I don't know if this helps at all, but I have severe pcos and was able to concieve when lighter pre bypass. but I don't know if I have fertility problems now.

Ahhh that could explain why periods have returned as now 7 stone lighter thank you for replying every comment helps xx

lamornamiss said:
Sweetheart enjoy the practice for now.
Is it really worth putting your's and the baby's health at risk for the sake of a few more months.
I know you want things NOW but get healthy and fit in the next few months so you can enjoy that precious bundle :D

I would never start trying now as I know it's important not to. But your very right I should be as healthy as I can thank you Hun xxx

I had my op a week before you and also had the op to make me healthy so I could have a baby. My team said wait a year. My goal was to get lose 12 stone and I have 4stone 7lbs so hope to do that by December.
Good luck hun when you do try x

witchingmoon said:
I had my op a week before you and also had the op to make me healthy so I could have a baby. My team said wait a year. My goal was to get lose 12 stone and I have 4stone 7lbs so hope to do that by December.

Well done you. I'd like to lose about 5 more stone so hopefully I will before I can try. Sending you lots of luck too xxx

Well done you. I'd like to lose about 5 more stone so hopefully I will before I can try. Sending you lots of luck too xxx

Lots and lots of practice will help move the weight ;) :D

Back