• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

IUS Mirena Coil & Time of Month

lauralee

Hi I have a few questions if any lovely ladies could answer for me. I've also asked these in my diary but not sure how many ppl will be able to answer.

Firstly has anyone had the mirena coil fitted, how did you find it? Did it change your moods? Did it alter your TOM and most importantly did it make you gain weight? I'm due to get one fitted tomorrow and these are my main fears. Not sure if in doing the right thing but really need something to control my period.

Secondly...the reason I am getting the coil fitted is irregular periods. I have now had my period for 7 WEEKS!! I am completely at my wits end. I had a gastric bypass on 12th feb and I'm now starting to feel dizzy and quite weak. I'm very bloated today and have gained 3lb over night, I'm lightheaded and every time I stand up I feel like I'm going to faint. I see stars, my eyes go fuzzy and black and I have to shut my eyes and stand still until it passes. Could this be down to blood loss over 7 weeks? I've tried to make docs appointments and always get told none left phone back tomorrow. I will keep trying until they can give me an appointment but wanted to see if anyone had any experiences or opinions on this. Today is my day for running (I run mon,wed & fri) but I just feel like today if I start running I will pass out :(

Xx

I had one hun it was fitted roughly 12-13 years ago lol only had it removed back last year because its only really licensed for 5 years, so it well over due lol Once fitted it completely stopped my period straight away, i only ever had the odd bit of spotting maybe once or twice a year. I wouldn't say u would gain weight with it, i always hope it would help with the weight to be honest............. with out the weeks upon of bleeding and feeling pretty crap, i thought my eating would be better lol
I cant fault mine, in fact when it came out last year there was the option of having a new one put straight back ..... which i would certainly do in a heartbeat to stop the constant heavy periods, but am kinda hoping my periods may start again and be regular (with the weight loss) this is my last ditch attempt for a baby :) gl with it hun U wont regret it x x x

I hated it!! had one in the 90s....never again!!!

I bled for 7 days heavy every month with it & the cramps were unbearable, took it out & went back to 1 day a month light bleed... opted for the implant a couple of years ago & havent had a period since :)

Good luck! & i know everyone is different but personally I wouldn't recommend

My periods are extremely heavy and lasting for months so if be happy of it reduced mine down to just 7 days. I had the implant for past 3 years and hated it. Only put up with it as I didn't want more kids but now needing something to control my TOM so family planning clinic had suggested this. I used to run 3 packs of the pil together so that I only ever had 4 periods a year but coz my bmi is high I don't think that's an option anymore. I suppose I'll just have to see how my body deals with it. Been told the hormones are much lower than the implant so hopefully won't turn me into a psycho lol x

not having this problem i cant comment from a personal view but my daughter has very heavy painful periods that last 3 or 4 weeks her gp has put her on a pill to stop them and unlike the normal pill she dont have to take a break not sure what it is called though but could ask her carers when i speak with them again

not having this problem i cant comment from a personal view but my daughter has very heavy painful periods that last 3 or 4 weeks her gp has put her on a pill to stop them and unlike the normal pill she dont have to take a break not sure what it is called though but could ask her carers when i speak with them again

It's possibly the combined pill princess, I used to take it years ago and run packets together so I wasn't having a break and that helped but as my bmi is high I can only take the mini pill now which doesn't work the same xx

Not sure but she would have high bmi aswell as shes 25 stone now they have to be wary what they give her as other meds make her gain weight vicious circle I will ask when I speak with them again

i love my mirena. Had my first one fitted 12 years ago, had it replaced at year 4, then year 10 so am on my third. I've never had a period while on it, I no longer have any PMS symptoms and it's been wonderful. If you are overweight while on it, it can lose it's effectiveness before the 5 year replacement time, that's why I had my first replaced in year 4. But for me it's been the best thing ever.

I'm limited on pills due to migraine plays they've failed me before, so it's been a great method for me :)

i love my mirena. Had my first one fitted 12 years ago, had it replaced at year 4, then year 10 so am on my third. I've never had a period while on it, I no longer have any PMS symptoms and it's been wonderful. If you are overweight while on it, it can lose it's effectiveness before the 5 year replacement time, that's why I had my first replaced in year 4. But for me it's been the best thing ever. I'm limited on pills due to migraine plays they've failed me before, so it's been a great method for me :)

That's great. Hopefully mines is as successful Bit nervous about the fitting of it too. I'm a wuss. Lol I've got 2 kids tho can't be as bad as child birth.....surely haha x

I had one for four years and it was fab after the couple of months it took to settle down. I had it to stop really heavy bleeding, and it did. I still got the hormonal feelings to an extent but it didn't affect me losing weight. Had it out late last year in the hope of trying one last chance of conceiving, only to find out I had gone through the menopause :sigh:

I had one for four years and it was fab after the couple of months it took to settle down. I had it to stop really heavy bleeding, and it did. I still got the hormonal feelings to an extent but it didn't affect me losing weight. Had it out late last year in the hope of trying one last chance of conceiving, only to find out I had gone through the menopause :sigh:

Well here's hoping it controls my heavy bleeding! Aww that's not so good about menopause tho :( x

I just had the implant put in the week before my sleeve in April. Interesting it made you "psycho" as I have been a bit mean this week - I'd put it down to being exhausted and irritable but I'll keep an eye on it. Please keep us posted, I'd be interested in your feedback a few months down the line. Good luck for tomorrow, I hope it doesn't hurt too much!

I love mine...like others kept first in for 8yrs, never had an issue, on my 2nd which was a doodle to have fitted :)
I suffered a little with initial one BUT I react badly to piercings etc...if you put foreign body somewhere it's natural for body to want to reject, took a few weeks to settle then had no period again, other than a 'show' occasionally xxxx

Yeah Stacey I felt it really changed my mood and increased my appetite. Was like a bottomless pit, never satisfied. I had it put in a couple of days after having my daughter and I ended up with very bad post natal depression and half of me always wondered if the implant was to blame or if the PND woulda been half as bad without it. My sister in law also had a similar experience re appetite and moods and she had hers removed not long after it was inserted. On saying that I do know ppl that have had no problems and it's great for them. It just goes to show everyone reacts differently. I'll keep you updated with how this goes :)

Sounds great Clare! Hopefully mines settles just fine too. It's good to hear success stories as I was looking online at first and it was all horror stories, got a little spooked lol

Xx

Coil in and wasn't nearly as sore as I was expecting. Just a little uncomfortable. Feeling very very crampy now tho but I'm sure it'll ease x

I've had a mirena fitted for about 10 months now, due to pre-cancerous changes to my endometrial lining which had caused extremely heavy and prolonged periods.

Insertion wasn't great for me, but I've not had children and I've got a tipped uterus. I then bled constantly for nearly three months after insertion. I had cramps off and on for the first couple of months, and horrible hormonal swings. I also had water weight gain. All of that has calmed down now, and I still get a strong hormonal surge (and incredible appetite) once a month, but at most it is a bit of spotting, blood-wise.

For me, it will be in there for some time. I'm having WLS (in part!) due to this medical issue and they're hoping to reverse the changes in my womb with this coil and WLS, hopefully avoiding a hysterectomy.

Honestly, if it wasn't inserted to try and treat the changes to the lining of my womb, I'd have had it out within a month or so of having it inserted.

Hi Shell
I have had the mirena coil fitted for similar reasons to you. I had an enormous bleed last May pre bypass, after not having had a period for about 12 years, thinking I was through the menopause. I had a hysteroscopy which found 6 polyps which contained precancerous cells. The consultant thought that the fact I was booked for WLS last October would help the situation. However a few months post bypass I had what I would call a proper period and then continual spotting on and off. I had another hysteroscopy last April and had 3 more polyps removed. These proved to contain no precancerous cells which I'm delighted with. To prevent me having to have a hysterectomy I was given the coil. I'm not getting on with it. I feel swollen, have constipation and a constant feeling of bearing down. I've agreed to give it another month but at the age of 57 I don't know if I want to carry on feeling like this. I have much younger friends who use it as a contraception and have never had problems. But I suppose we're all different.

That doesn't sound too good ladies, it's good hearing everyone's different experiences. Having only had mines fitted on thurs it's far to early for me to comment on if it's going to agree with me BUT having bled constantly and very heavy for the past 7 weeks since having the coil fitted on thurs my period has already stopped and I no longer feel bloated. I get occasional very mild cramping and I know this could have happened anyway and it also may change again overnight but for me so far so good. I have been warned by the hospital that things may not settle for up to 3-6 months but already things have improved so fingers crossed I've found my solution and long may it continue xx

my only coil experience was way back when they were copper and fell pregnant twice on it but i guess its all moved on from then i did have a hysterectomy at 29 though due to a 12 month non stop bleed at time so heavy i was using 5 towels

Hi,
I'm on my 3rd Mirena coil. No problems at all for me. No periods, no bloating or mood issues at all. Wouldn't be without it. Hope you get on ok with yours too. xxx

Back