• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypasser question

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Hi guys,

3 times now over the last week I've had the same thing happen when I'm eating. I get a really sharp pain under my boobs which goes right through tummy to back and is extremely sharp (writhing around kind of pain). I burp lots and lots for about 5-10 minutes until it eases. I'm very aware during the episode that if I wanted to I could be sick very easily (and one time I was).

The last two times its started after only 2-3 forks of food, all chewed till liquid and swallowed in small amounts.

So is this something I am causing? What can I do to a) deal with it better than it happens (writhing groaning and burping not good in public) and b) prevent it happening in the first place!

All ideas welcome :eek:

iv not had a bypass, but the pain you describe sounds like what i had and it was gallstones, did you have your gallbladder taken out before the op?

no, these days surgeons tend to check the gallbladder and only take it out if it needs to come out, so i know my gallbladder is fine. I'm 99.9% sure the pain is wind in my ickle tummy its whether the wind is there before I eat and its eating that makes it feel so bad, or whether I'm causing the wind by how/what I eat.

oh well thats one thing out of the equation, well i hope someones along soon to help figure your problem out, but it does just sound a bit like trapped wind i think, and because you're stomach is now so small and it wasnt long ago you had your op its probably just a bit more painful than most people experience xxx hope you feel better soon

Hi Shel,
i hope that you are feeling better;););)
I suffer from what you have and I'm 99% positive that's it's indigestion, although i haven't had any gastric surgery I have terrible bouts of this pain and it feels like a knife is stuck in your chest and that you need to move to try and force the pain out,then not long after i burp alot. It happened after my 3 sections alot and still does even i eat something that doesn't agree with me.
If it continues then please see a DR as I could be wrong or ring your PS, they could recommend something for you and some indigestion treatment if they agree that's what it is,
I hope you're feeling better soon
take care
Trina xxx

Hi shell sounds like trapped wind. Try some gripe water or drink peppermint cordial or mint tea or even colic drops befor eating. my son as a teenager used to get it and i was on the verge of calling an ambulance one day.
hope it passes(no pun intended)
HC

Would trapped wind come on with eating and dissipate so quickly?

This evening after the episode earlier my guts have been soooooo noisy, but not painful.

Hi Shell I got it all the time, its happened when I ate too quickly or didnt chew my food enough, I know it sounds daft because we all chew like mad and eat slowly but its just your bodies way to tell you to take it even slower with certain foods. I get it every now and again when I try new foods and think that I have chewed enough, turns out I havent! It should only last about ten mins and then move on best thing to do is just stop eating and rest for a while. Hope this helps

Thanks Caroline, I guessed that was what it was the first time, as it was towards the end of the meal. I was just confused because the last two times its been right at the beginning of the meal.

Dreading it happening this weekend while we're away with my dad and his wife!

I have had some lovely incidents while out with my mum and the kids, my youngest thinks its great I can burp so much in such a short space of time! How are you finding things since your op, its been three weeks now ??

thats been the only problem I've had really, so I think I've been quite lucky!

at least you know its nothing to worry about now though shell, just take it easy when eating and hopefully you won't get that problem again! xxx

Back