• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

scared myself last night

julia in bath

had half tin chicken tikka last night. chewed it really well but ate it too quickly. After doing really well the first couple pf days taking it slowly for some reason I kind of knew i was doing it but couldnt seem to slow down! i put the timer on when i start eating to help me and when i finished i said to my OH 'I ate that too fast' well i felt fine for about an hour but then the feeling of being full didnt go. About three hours after eating I started to get pains accross the top of my stomach. then really sharp wind pains in both shoulders. i was in agony and by then had figured something must be stuck. I couldnt go to bed as lying down with that pain didn't seem an option and the sensation didn't pass until 3.30 this morning when I finally climbed into bed.
I was scared stiff!
I really don't want that to happen again.

Aww hope you are feeling better now :) At least you know now whats to come if you do eat too quick

I am dreading the day I overeat, have to say I think I nearly did last night with my mash n cheese as it was LUSH ! But I have now got myself into a routine, already, that I make myself something to eat, eat it slowly but I always leave something in the dish always even if I want it which I did last night. So far so good.

had half tin chicken tikka last night. chewed it really well but ate it too quickly. After doing really well the first couple pf days taking it slowly for some reason I kind of knew i was doing it but couldnt seem to slow down! i put the timer on when i start eating to help me and when i finished i said to my OH 'I ate that too fast' well i felt fine for about an hour but then the feeling of being full didnt go. About three hours after eating I started to get pains accross the top of my stomach. then really sharp wind pains in both shoulders. i was in agony and by then had figured something must be stuck. I couldnt go to bed as lying down with that pain didn't seem an option and the sensation didn't pass until 3.30 this morning when I finally climbed into bed.
I was scared stiff!
I really don't want that to happen again.

I know you were told to go onto solids but I honestly think its too soon for something like chicken, I can only just eat it now after 8 weeks and it can still get stuck, I would stick to mince meat for maybe another couple of weeks before you try chicken again, I would be afraid incase you did some damage, I forget which one of the girls on here was in hospital for a week on a drip because of eating the wrong food, just be careful its the last thing you want happening to you so soon after your op

Im not telling you to go against what you have been told but im just saying what I would do

Sounds scary.
Were you advised what to do in these situations, or do you just have to wait until it passes?
Hope you're feeling better today xx

no, no advice given but did a thread search on here and found it seems all you can do it wait for it to pass. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Crikey!!

I'll defo take heed of that!!

By the way - When I glanced at the thread title, I thought it said "I scared myself last night in the bath!"

I did wonder what this thread was going to be about!!! :D
PMSL.

I am deffo going back to taking it easier. i think after having a few 'meals' with no trouble i got a bit complacent.

That sounds horrid ! Hope you're feeling better today, I'm only 2 week's post op so still taking it easy with weight watchers soup!! not as brave as you to worried of something going wrong( Oh i'm such a woosie)

That sounds horrid ! Hope you're feeling better today, I'm only 2 week's post op so still taking it easy with weight watchers soup!! not as brave as you to worried of something going wrong( Oh i'm such a woosie)
i'm just following the advice given by my team hun as to what i can eat and when, nothing brave about it lol

I ended up in hospital for a week, 6 months after I had my band put in. I had been good and not tried any chicken or stringy meats till then as I was informed to not have chicken for months after my band. I had only had a little bite of chicken and it got stuck. I was advised to always be careful with chicken as it is a stringy meat which can block the pathway through the band. After that I have not eaten chicken since as i am too scared. I will try again once im better after my bypass.

I'm 3 months post band and haven't tried chicken yet only because I don't like the idea of chewing it to a pulp :eatdrink023:

I had a couple of wheaten crackers this lunchtime, ate them far to quickly and they got stuck, I tried to have a drink to wash it down but the water just brought it back up...in a solid lump :eek:

so, still after 3 months it's trial and error...it really is down to eating slowly and chewing really well (easier said than done)

i dont feel such a plonker now! thanks all for sharing.

Julia I still can't eat chicken. It hurts like hell if anything gets stuck so be really careful.When I've had that feeling the only thing to ease the pain is to stick my fingers down my throat and bring it back up. I know this is not the ideal way to sort it but its the only way for me xx

Julia I still can't eat chicken. It hurts like hell if anything gets stuck so be really careful.When I've had that feeling the only thing to ease the pain is to stick my fingers down my throat and bring it back up. I know this is not the ideal way to sort it but its the only way for me xx

Im going to be honest and say that in the end this was the only way to get things back up for me sometimes. It did not happen alot but on the odd occasion that is the only thing you can do is to get it back out!

Back