• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Opinions, suggestions: pain & discomfort

cah-ching

Hi there,

It's been a while since I last posted. I hope you are all ok.

The reason for this post is to get opinion and find out if what I'm going through is normal.

I had my band fitted on the 10th April '10. Since then I've had my ups and most notable downs.

I'm six weeks post op this coming Saturday and I must admit there isn't a day that goes by that I don't feel some discomfort or pain. I'm finding it hard to burp/pass wind which can be quite distressing at times. I have pain in my port area - it still is tender. I have pain in my stomach region - I'm not sure whether it is wind or not - it's sharp small pain.

I went to the cinema with a friend and had a bit of popcorn, but didn't drink. All of a sudden a strong abdominal pain descended upon me, I had to get up and walk out after about 5-10 minutes it eased, may be it was due to be sitting down?

I must admit that there are some days where I wish I hadn't had the banding procedure done as it really I haven't had a painfree 'normal' day since 9th April.

I've contacted the nurse at Surgicare to speak with her as I'm a bit distressed :( and I have to take a 10-hour flight in a matter of days - and pre-op I wasn't worried or concerned but given my seemingly never-ending discomfort it does concern me. :cry:. I'm waiting for her to call me back.

Anyone else been through this? Does it get better?!! :cry:

Thanks

I have absolutely no helpful advice... Just wanted to say i hope the pain disappears soon and the nurse returns your call. I would, like you be worrying about the flight if i was in pain still, i hope it gets sorted soon xxx

I'm hoping some banders will see this thread and let you know if they had pain or discomfort like you are feeling.

It could just be "healing pain" which is lingering a little longer than it should due to the early problems you had. When did you stop taking regular painkillers after the op?

Hope the nurse has some helpful advice for you x

I also cant help as Im pre-op but just wanted to say I hope you get something sorted soon and start feeling better X

Hi there,

It's been a while since I last posted. I hope you are all ok.

The reason for this post is to get opinion and find out if what I'm going through is normal.

I had my band fitted on the 10th April '10. Since then I've had my ups and most notable downs.

Hiya hun im sorry to hear that you have been in pain.

I'm six weeks post op this coming Saturday and I must admit there isn't a day that goes by that I don't feel some discomfort or pain. I'm finding it hard to burp/pass wind which can be quite distressing at times. I have pain in my port area - it still is tender. I have pain in my stomach region - I'm not sure whether it is wind or not - it's sharp small pain.

the sharp pain is usually down to wind but could possibly still be healing pains it should clear soon but it still early days at week 6.

Pain in the port area is common as it takes the longest to heal as its a foriegn body just under the skin and it will also be sewn to a muscle, sometimes now if i lay the wrong way now i still get port pain please dont worry this is very common.

I went to the cinema with a friend and had a bit of popcorn, but didn't drink. All of a sudden a strong abdominal pain descended upon me, I had to get up and walk out after about 5-10 minutes it eased, may be it was due to be sitting down?

Pop corn is very dry and if you ate say maybe a handfull it will dry the pouch and cause a blocked kind of a pain, when this happens its usually just a matter of waiting for the food to pass.

I must admit that there are some days where I wish I hadn't had the banding procedure done as it really I haven't had a painfree 'normal' day since 9th April.

I've contacted the nurse at Surgicare to speak with her as I'm a bit distressed :( and I have to take a 10-hour flight in a matter of days - and pre-op I wasn't worried or concerned but given my seemingly never-ending discomfort it does concern me. :cry:. I'm waiting for her to call me back.

Anyone else been through this? Does it get better?!! :cry:

Thanks

it does get better hun i promise you, ive had 2 bands and what your experiencing sounds pretty common, obviously im only advising from my own personal experience, i hope your providor calls back soon to re assure you x

it does get better hun i promise you, ive had 2 bands and what your experiencing sounds pretty common, obviously im only advising from my own personal experience, i hope your providor calls back soon to re assure you x

You're an absolute star!!!! xx

I think I needed someone to say "it's normal, hang on in there!"

The nurse and dietitian called me. They think it's trapped wind. I've got Wind Setlers and I've been advised to buy some Gripe Water which I'm off to buy in a moment.

xx

You're an absolute star!!!! xx

I think I needed someone to say "it's normal, hang on in there!"

The nurse and dietitian called me. They think it's trapped wind. I've got Wind Setlers and I've been advised to buy some Gripe Water which I'm off to buy in a moment.

xx

i chew the wind eze tablets, there great but the quickest way is movement, just sitting makes it worse so if you even just walk around a little it will help to disperse it x

Hi there

I agree with Liz in that it all sounds pretty normal to me. Try not to worry, it is still early days. I am still experiencing different things three months on.

It is such a learning curve this band business and every day I am learning something new. It definitely takes time to get the hang of what we can and can't eat and when we can eat it.

Hang on in there. It does get easier, I promise x

Hi Gang,

THank you for your support.

Justto keep you filled in; I woke up this morning in immense pain. I was bent double; I went to the toilet (poo), but that didn't shift the pain. I took extra strength paracetamol, drank gripe water (yuk); took two Wind Setlers. Then I thought going for a walk would better things; I couldn't make it to the end of my (very small) street due to pain. I came home and writhed about in agony.

I went to the pharmacy, but it was full of people - all the seats were taken and so I decided to go to the doctors. I went in and although it was full, the receptionist wouldn't let me leave until I saw the doctor (whom she got to see me straight away). He thinks I may have IBS (wtf!!). I'm not convinced, but walked out with a prescription for:

* huge box of chocolate flavoured movicol (not a fan of chocolate but I couldn't get any other flavour due to the pharmacist having to give me what was written on the prescrip) - luckily it tastes like hot chocolate, but cold.

*Mebeverine 200mg

*Hyoscine (Buscopan tablets) 10mg

I've taken the meds and I must admit I felt much better afterwards. I was able to eat my breakfast afterwards although my appetite over the last 2 days has disappeared. I'm just eating my lunch - forcing it in due to the pain coming back. I've taken another Movicol. My stomach feels very sore. Will have my dinner before 7pm so that I'm not eating too late.

Sorry to hear he has diagnosed IBS, im sure theres others on here that suffer with the same thing maybe they will have a chat to you about the best way to cope with it x

Sorry to hear he has diagnosed IBS, im sure theres others on here that suffer with the same thing maybe they will have a chat to you about the best way to cope with it x

Hey Liz,

I hope you're ok. I really appreciate you keeping any eye out for me :hug99:.

I'm not convinced I have IBS - I think the drugs just help with the pain I'm feeling. I have a nasty metallic taste in my mouth too thats just developed. I've so many pills inside of me it's a wonder I don't rattle when I walk :rolleyes:

Cah-ching i gotta say it......... You've had a really c*** time!

I'm hoping and i'm gonna pray at church on Sunday that the coin flips for you and things get easier.

All the best xx

Back