• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calling all post oppers who have lost 8 stone or more

chrisa

I'm a bit scared at the moment I have been looking at how my body is shrinking down and I have lost 7 stone since last July and a stone from the previous year had my bypass inAugust 2011. I have been exercising hard my body is toning up but i am concerned about the loose flesh i won't be able to tone up will I always have to be a clever dresser and hide all my lumps and bumps forever?? I was told when i went in for my op that by the time my 2 years are up the funding for weight loss reconstruction surgery will not be available on Nhs which I thought was no problem as I wasn't really wanting that done, but am little scared as I don't know how this is going to pan out. Have seen people on tv who have lost huge amounts of weight and they have loads of excess skin, any word of wisdom or experience???:cry:

thanks for raising this chrisa as i am sure it is something that goes through all wls peeps minds. look forward to reading responses xx

i have lost 8 n half stone since last year and have the same problem. I can cover my stomach and thighs easily enough with spanx style garments but my biggest issue is bingo wings which hang down badly meaning I cannot possibly wear short sleeves. I am into a size 12 clothing now but some things I cannot wear because the arms are too tight. I will definitely be saving up to have surgery to remove the excess skin.

Thank you for that I still have quite a way to go so am going to have even more but yes I agree bingo wings are bad. I struggle also with some fabrics i am very static and some times materials cling to me so i'm already a problem when it comes to clothing xx what a life eh!! x

I had the static problem, especially since I now wear nylon control vests etc, but I have cured this by wearing a silky cami top under my clothing, makes tops etc hang nicely and keeps me warm coz I have found I am always cold since losing all my insulation lol. Despite all these little problems the bypass was still the best thing I have ever done and would not change a thing.

I think i might try that thank you i too am always cold since the op I was dreading the winter and when the frost came i wanted to , i'm having hot flushes with the menopause at the same time so go from one extreme to the other frequently poor body doesn't know whats happening to it. xx

I have lost over 8 stone , the only excess skin I have is at top of my legs and my tummy and luckily can be covered with clothes.

Thank you thats where most of mine is but i do have bingo wings have always exercised so hoping that if i keep going will be able to sort most of it but just thinking what if i can't will i be happy, won't really know till further down the line xx

Yes thats wot I decided to do. even with re occuring belly button infections I cant see to get anywhere with plastics on the nhs so given up on that score, and tbh I am happy with just being slim and its only the hubby that sees the excess skin anyway so it doesnt bother me :)

BlueDiamond said:
Yes thats wot I decided to do. even with re occuring belly button infections I cant see to get anywhere with plastics on the nhs so given up on that score, and tbh I am happy with just being slim and its only the hubby that sees the excess skin anyway so it doesnt bother me :)

I get belly button infections all the time and I'm pre op Is it because of sweat that you get yours ? X

I've lost 4st now and I've been hammering the gym as I don't want any further surgery.
However the last few weeks I've noticed some horrible rashes under my tummy fold & between my bum cheeks (too much info I know). Bariatric nurse suggested Sudocrem but wondered if there was anything else I could do. I'm a bit upset as I thought I was doing a good job of shrinking with minimum loose skin. Hey ho.
xx

Well done on your loss so far! thats a fantastic achievement!

I've lost 7 and 1/2 stone but like Julie I have a band. Maybe its because I lost the weight slower but I dont really have a loose skin problem apart from my tummy. I have had lots of major abdominal surgery over the years (one whilst 20 weeks pregnant) so I know my stomach will never be flat and have to just accept that. I would not want to go under the knife again unless of course it was a life or death matter. Thats just me though ;)

I paid for my band as there is no way I would have got NHS funding just as there is no way I would get funding for plastics.

As the NHS are making more and more cuts, more PCTs will stop funding this type of op.

I guess its a case of doing all you can to mitigate it and if you can get funding - great, if not save up or get creative with your undergarments.

I have lost just over 9 stones and my worst area for loose skin is my bingo wings, but it does not cause me too many problems.

I still have about a stone to lose to get to the target I was set so my tummy may get worse, but at the moment it's just about ok.

The best kind of ointment/cream for sweat rashes like that is conotrane, nurses use it for paients who are likely to develop bed sore etc. My friend is a nurse and recommended it to me bout 4 years ago. It is the best thing Iv ever used sudocrem is thick and takes some spreading on conotrane is quick and easy to use spreads easily over the affected skin/area ask for it at your chemist you can get it in a tube or in a tub its one of the cheapest to buy but really does the trick ladies wether its a rash around the base of tummy, lisk of leg or under boobs works brilliantly give it a try is all i can say xx

Back