• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calorie help please

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Could somebody please advise me on how many calories I am supposed to be having please?
I use a free calorie counter online and it is always telling me I am now having enough calories.
I dont see the dietician so cant ask them, the one I did meet at the bariatric clinic seemed a little dim so even if I did still see her I wouldnt really trust her advice.
So how many calories should I be having each day?
If it helps to know this then I am 169lbs and 4ft 11" tall/small lol
Steph xx

Hi Steph
I was certainly told at the 6 months post op it should be around 1000 calories. I haven't ever counted my calories i just watch what i'm doing most of the time cause for me personally counting calories proved my downfall on many an occasion as i got p....d off very quickly. If i remember rightly there is a website that you can input your details on and they work it out for you although i think the reading is still too high for us wls guys. Omg that was a very long winded way of not helping very much hee hee but i'm sure someone will help out soon x

Lol thanks xx
I use myfitnesspal and it says I should have at least 1430 per day, I dont agree with that as obviously I am not the average woman with my bypass, I thought maybe 1000. I am not hitting that very often, my average is 700 and so far today is 583. I dont usually count calories but I was convinced that I wasnt having enough so I am keeping an eye on it for now. I THINK I need to up what Im having but Im not sure by how many.
Steph xx

For your healths sake I would say between 1000 and 1250....at least!

Last edited:
I'd agree with Neen, although I don't actually count calories myself. Just a thought, if you think you're not getting enough, could you perhaps move up to full-fat versions of milk, yoghurts etc? That would add a few more calories. Or is that you think you're not eating enough actual food?

Hhhmmmm, maybe I could add some nuts into the equation somewhere along the line. I dont actually use anything that I can really change to more calorific things, I dont use spreads (butter/marg etc) and I only like semi skimmed milk. I eat children fromage frai yoghurt because they are just small enough for me and I really like them. I think I will just have to make myself have some snacks, I was grazing and worked to stop that and it has worked a little too well I think, I will make sure to get in planned snacks, higher protein ones that will also add those extra calories in. Maybe even allow myself a bag of crisps sometimes without feeling too guilty.
Thanks for the replies xx
Steph xx

I don't know whether you saw my other post but Boots do a fab range of chocolate & sweets for diabetics :whistle: great for us as they're sugar free, but they do contain the usual calories so eat in moderation. They might just add those extra few calories you need ;)

Blimey steph "a bag of crips" that sounds lush.:rolleyes:

I am very sensitive to dumping, would that bar be ok?
Also, I dont eat chocolate, that is one main reason I cant have protein bars, most are chocolate covered.
I am severeley limiting my options being strict with myself but I really dont want to get back on to chocolate, other than drinks.
Steph xx

Steph, wannabeslimagain made some of phatgirls protein bars and they were lush! There was no chocolate on them or in them (not that i saw anyway) so maybe you could either find the recipe or give Lisa a shout?

As for the chocolate i hear you on that one! Although only 2 weeks post op i'm well aware that is a habit i want to lose forever! I can't trust myself to have 'one'....

Lol thanks xx
I use myfitnesspal and it says I should have at least 1430 per day, I dont agree with that as obviously I am not the average woman with my bypass, I thought maybe 1000. I am not hitting that very often, my average is 700 and so far today is 583. I dont usually count calories but I was convinced that I wasnt having enough so I am keeping an eye on it for now. I THINK I need to up what Im having but Im not sure by how many.
Steph xx

Hi Steph, I used your height and weight (I guessed your age) to calculate your Basic Metabolic Rate which is 1479. If you multiply this by 1.2 for a sedentary lifestyle (again, I'm guessing) then you should be having around 1700 calories per day. Don't forget that the bypass patient would need MORE calories then your average joe, because the bypass allows our bodies to take LESS calories in through our food. So, you should be having more calories not less.

When you've continually dieted for years and years and years, it doesn't seem right somehow does it! I think the way to go is to have more calories, but to have them from GOOD food. Avocado pears, full-fat cheese, oily fish, all good high protein stuff like that. Although I've had a few glitches recently with putting a couple of pounds on, I think that is due to water retention.

As for the chocolate i hear you on that one! Although only 2 weeks post op i'm well aware that is a habit i want to lose forever! I can't trust myself to have 'one'....

Perhaps I shouldn't have suggested those, I wasn't thinking. I'm mostly OK with chocolate, only have a bit when I'm due on. Now crisps... give me one bag and I'll want four!!! Or jelly babies!!! :drool: :8855:

Thanks guys xx
I did make some of those myself and loved them, will have to get the bits in to make some more.
Julie...I simply cant trust myself to have any so if I never even try I will never know if I can, so Ive used my surgery as a kind of bottled willpower lol
Gill...thanks for that, I think I am classed as semi-sedentry, I dont do organised exercise but I am usually milling around and try not to sit around for too long, though I cant be classed as mega active either.
I am going to have a good look at upping the calories.
Thanks guys xx
Steph xx

Back