• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calories...

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
How reliable is BMR? By that I mean basal metabolic rate or the amount of calories you need each day just to tick over, when I read about it it always says they calculate it on how much you would need just to lay in bed all day and it calculates mine as something like 1,232 per day...on your average day I dont eat that or anything like that, so is that why my weight is sticking? At eleven months out how many calories should I really be taking in? Because looking through my recent eating I only sometimes get over 1000 calories a day, some days I go over that but on your average day I dont and from all of the resources that I have looked at to find out what I should be having Im not having enough calories.
I clocked all of my calories with my fitness pal expecting it to be massively high as I feel as though I am constantly eating, well I must be choosing the healthier versions of food because Im barely over 1000 calories today.
I have 8lbs left to lose now until I hit goal and I really want to get them off asap, just for my own peace of mind, so should I be doing something different with my diet? These sites like my fitness pal dont take into consideration whether you are a bypasser etc obviously, so can anyone advise me how many calories I should be having to get this last 8lbs off please?
Thanks xx
Steph xx

My god if I took that seriously then I should be comatose. In fact I wonder each day at how I can keep going, stay awake and some days even exercise with the fuel my body gets just now :eek:

Oh i do 1200 calories easily, but i think i need to eat more protein and less carbs... Good luck Steph, i have no idea as to the answer xx

I know I'm still early days but I really struggle to hit 300 calories a day. :eek:

I got really excited when I managed 500 one day. I do wonder how I manage to function!

I think mine is much less than my BMR says. I also think that anyone that has had the surgery (and therefore been on a permanent diet for years) has probably mucked up their metabolism and it is therefore lower than the normal BMR before losing weight. I remember when I went to weight watchers a few years ago and was eating much much more than I am now and the pounds were falling off (I got to 9 stone then). It did occur to me to try and up my calories which I did and that resulted in weight gain - so sorry I'm not much help!

Thanks guys xx
Well Im adding in a few protein shakes this week to see if that has any effect and am also going to try to lower the carbs, I dont overeat carbs but I will lower them anyway.
I WILL get this 8lbs off by Christmas.
Steph xx

Well done Steph for being so positive, you really deserve to get that last bit off.

Good luck hun xxxx

steph, whydont you try the 5 day pouch test, wont that help you shift it hun

Steph, well done. Have you tried upping your excercise?

Rebirthxx

Dawn...I still have good restriction so Im not so keen to do the pouch test.
I have a week off next week though so I am going to spend the week hammering the protein and forcing in the water.
To be honest I am pretty happy as I am now and Im pretty convinced that my body is happy where it is, the 8lbs was just so I achieved certain number, just for the sake of saying I had, but if it doesnt come off then thats fine too, I dunno, I never thought Id lose so much so quick so maybe I should just chill out and let my body just do its thing.
Steph xx

Hi Steph - Maybe your body is just telling you that it is happy where it is now? It is very hard when dieting has been such a large part of our lives for so long - many of us will have totally messed up metabolisms. I for one lived on amphetamine type slimming pills for two years, then Xenical then Reductil . . . then wonder why several years down the line even when I ate little and exercised a lot I was lucky to lose the odd pound. We have probably seriously messed up our bodies over the years and I am sure that the BMR scale is way off target for many of us. I am really very active and according to the BMR scale I dread to think what I would officially 'need' in calories each day. What I do know is that if I ate more than 1300 I would put on weight.

Probably doesnt help much - think in your photos you look fab - but if you want to lose the extra pounds try boosting your metabolism with more strenuous exercise instead?

Thanks xx
We are getting the Kinect for the x-box when it comes out next month and I cant wait, we have the dancing game on order too but unlike Wii Just Dance you cant cheat it, it has a camera on it and if you cheat it tells you, so instead of being able to just wiggle a controller with your hand you have to do a very physical dance, sooo looking forward to it. I have been doing lots of dancing lately actually, putting on music and bopping like a crazy woman around the house lol
Steph xx

I am seven and a half months out and last week the dietician told me that I should be aiming for 1200 calories a day. To be honest, I rarely get anything like that (which is possibly why I'm having such rotten hair loss!) I've increased my protein as well.

It's a bit of a lottery isn't it? x

Yep sure is.
Im off work for a week next week (God bless working in the education field lol) and Im sooo temped to go on the pre-op diet for that week, just to try to shake up my system a little bit. Anyone reckon there is any reason it WOULDNT work at this point in my journey? Its more or less like doing the 5 day pouch test, just easier to follow. Reckon its worth a try?
Steph xx

Back