• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Chichester Hospital 10 page questionnaire help please!

poppyowner

Hi all

Saw doctor and was given copy funding acceptance letter AND told to visit website to download questionnaire as the hospital I have chosen (as closest) is asking for it.
Printed off questionnaire and reading through it am a bit worried about the following - can you help please....

(1) Stated on letter that if your BMI is larger than at time of funding request (mine was 42.6) then funding may be withdrawn and have to be reapplied for - HAS ANYONE ON HERE BEEN HEAVIER WHEN AT HOSPITAL THAN ON AT FUNDING REFERRAL AND IF SO WHAT HAPPENED?

(2) The dietary food sheet bit - when you filled in your 4 days worth - did you do it as when being 'good' on existing eating plan or did you do it as when being 'naughty' to show how those days look?

(3) I think I am already a little heavier now than at time of funding application, unsure of my weight at mo so don't know BMI either at mo - the form asks for your weight - should I put down the weight taken at funding application OR be honest and find out exact weight at time of this form filling....? Am worried as if larger on form they may not see me...IF I was to put lower weight as per application then I could do calorie counting to try to get back there or even lower???

(4) The questions about what applies to you.... do you answer this regarding when you are being 'good' or 'bad' ? ie. It is hard for me to control the amount of sweet foods I eat..... when focused this is NO when off plan then YES - which would I put? IF I put as if when off plan then may come across uncommitted but if I put as for when on plan may look like a saint who doesn't need help!!!

(5) Re losses etc - I cannot remember years / dates (my memory has gone right downhill over past couple years) so can I put guesstimates?

(6) Should I delay handing in the form til New Year so to give myself a little more time to try to relose gains from xmas etc and so it doesn't get lost in xmas post or try to hand it in early next week ? They say the time frame is about 18 weeks between them getting the forms and possible surgery if all ok.....would this give me enough time to relose any excess weight so as to not lose my funding?

Have just been onto BMI and by my reckoning must have been 17st 9 lbs and 5' 4" at referral/funding to get a 42 reading for BMI BUT I am 5' 3 and 3 quarters high so he may have put me as 5'3 which to get a reading of 42 would make me no more than 17 st exactly at that time! SO IN THEORY so long as I weigh 17 stones MAX when I visit them I should be ok either way ;) I will ensure I wear my lightest clothing for that appointment LOL

SO CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME WITH THESE QUESTIONS ideally with numbered answers so none get overlooked (cheeky I know!)

Thanks - avidly waiting for responses

Jill

Cant help I'm afraid as I didnt have to fill one in. Review their policy on BMI and wls and ensure your answers fit! As for being honest - well as long as it fits with their wls policy go for it1

Hi sweety. I've just answered a bit of this on another post but I'll try to answer here too.

Hi all

Saw doctor and was given copy funding acceptance letter AND told to visit website to download questionnaire as the hospital I have chosen (as closest) is asking for it.
Printed off questionnaire and reading through it am a bit worried about the following - can you help please....

(1) Stated on letter that if your BMI is larger than at time of funding request (mine was 42.6) then funding may be withdrawn and have to be reapplied for - HAS ANYONE ON HERE BEEN HEAVIER WHEN AT HOSPITAL THAN ON AT FUNDING REFERRAL AND IF SO WHAT HAPPENED?

No, but I did gain weight in between losing my target weight loss (not all hospital's give you one but mine did) and going for my pre-op appointment. I had to go on a very strict low carb, low fat diet. Otherwise my surgery would've been cancelled.

(2) The dietary food sheet bit - when you filled in your 4 days worth - did you do it as when being 'good' on existing eating plan or did you do it as when being 'naughty' to show how those days look?

I did this at the hospital with the dietician. I was completely honest and told her about my struggles as if 'naughty' as this was more 'normal' for me. They want to know about your eating habits so that they ca choose the best surgery for you.

(3) I think I am already a little heavier now than at time of funding application, unsure of my weight at mo so don't know BMI either at mo - the form asks for your weight - should I put down the weight taken at funding application OR be honest and find out exact weight at time of this form filling....? Am worried as if larger on form they may not see me...IF I was to put lower weight as per application then I could do calorie counting to try to get back there or even lower???

Not sure. Could you 'hedge your bets' and go for a between number? That would maybe be more honest but also allow you to lose a realistic amount of weight before your appointment?

(4) The questions about what applies to you.... do you answer this regarding when you are being 'good' or 'bad' ? ie. It is hard for me to control the amount of sweet foods I eat..... when focused this is NO when off plan then YES - which would I put? IF I put as if when off plan then may come across uncommitted but if I put as for when on plan may look like a saint who doesn't need help!!!

As before. Put when you're being bad. They want to know your failings diet-wise, to tailor the right surgery to you.
But maybe say that you're trying to change these eating patterns/habits?

And mean it! You will have to post-op, so try to make a start now. I promise you it will benefit you hugely in the long run. :) I stopped eating sweets. chocolate and cake pre-op. It's worth a try sweety. :cool:

(5) Re losses etc - I cannot remember years / dates (my memory has gone right downhill over past couple years) so can I put guesstimates?

Yes I'd put your best guess down. If you're anything like me, you've tried hard to forget all that!

(6) Should I delay handing in the form til New Year so to give myself a little more time to try to relose gains from xmas etc and so it doesn't get lost in xmas post or try to hand it in early next week ? They say the time frame is about 18 weeks between them getting the forms and possible surgery if all ok.....would this give me enough time to relose any excess weight so as to not lose my funding?

Well that depends. Are you more desperate for your count-down to surgery to begin, or to have a last blow-out at Christmas? It's your call. I'd be sending the form in and sending it recorded delivery to ensure it didn't get lost too. But that's me. 18 weeks is loads of time to lose a few pounds. How many pounds are you planning to gain over chrsitmas?!:eek: I lost almost a stone in 4 weeks because I HAD to! It can be done. As my dietician said," its not the losing weight. We KNOW you can lose weight. It's the keeping it off that's hard."

Have just been onto BMI and by my reckoning must have been 17st 9 lbs and 5' 4" at referral/funding to get a 42 reading for BMI BUT I am 5' 3 and 3 quarters high so he may have put me as 5'3 which to get a reading of 42 would make me no more than 17 st exactly at that time! SO IN THEORY so long as I weigh 17 stones MAX when I visit them I should be ok either way ;) I will ensure I wear my lightest clothing for that appointment LOL

Erm not sure I understand about the BMI calculations! But numbers aren't my strong point, LOL! :D
But Good plan re: wearing your lightest clothing. I did too! Wear light shoes too, they may not allow you to take your shoes off to be weighed!

SO CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME WITH THESE QUESTIONS ideally with numbered answers so none get overlooked (cheeky I know!)

Jill

I hope that's been of help. It's all very exciting!
Hugs, Grace xxx

Hi all

I wasn't heavier but I wouldn't worry too much about it... I think its more that you don't go 'woohoo got my funding & go on a binge for months'

I did it exactly as I was eating... they need to know exactly what yr habits are & also they question you about yr diary sheet when you go see them.

Be honest... they know that we have trouble losing weight or we wouldn't be needing the op. xx

The questionnaire is just for a general idea. they will go thru it all thoroughly when you get to Chichester, so they'll find out you have some control & days when you loose it, yr only human. xx

Mine were only guesstimates

(6) Should I delay handing in the form til New Year so to give myself a little more time to try to relose gains from xmas etc and so it doesn't get lost in xmas post or try to hand it in early next week ? They say the time frame is about 18 weeks between them getting the forms and possible surgery if all ok.....would this give me enough time to relose any excess weight so as to not lose my funding? Thats entirely up to you but I would say get the form in asap, my time frame was much quicker than 18 weeks & you don't want added pressure if you think you have to loose weight. They are fabulous & very understanding down there, much more tolerant of weight gain/loss etc than other places it would appear. xx

Have just been onto BMI and by my reckoning must have been 17st 9 lbs and 5' 4" at referral/funding to get a 42 reading for BMI BUT I am 5' 3 and 3 quarters high so he may have put me as 5'3 which to get a reading of 42 would make me no more than 17 st exactly at that time! SO IN THEORY so long as I weigh 17 stones MAX when I visit them I should be ok either way ;) I will ensure I wear my lightest clothing for that appointment LOL Try not too worry or over analyse what happens when you go there... I promise you'll be in for a lot of help & understanding. xx

Jill

Good luck Jill, let me know how you get on. x

Hi I went to Chichester same as Ditzeeblonde. I was slightly heavier when I got to my first appointment with them than when I was at funding but they didnt seem to mind. I was honest with my eating patterns on the sheet but you will find that you will probably be 'good' because you know that you are writing it down. I did explain this when I met up with the team at the meeting. Best to get your form in as soon as possible because they do not start the 18 week countdown until you do and you are not 'officially' on their books. Best of luck. The team at Chichester are brilliant as are all the surgeons. The hospital is really clean and there is a special bariatric ward of six beds which is located in the private wing. I was very impressed by my whole experience. Best Wishes x

Thanks everyone!
I filled in my questionnaire last night and overall am happy with it BUT not the weight bit ...... weighed this morning after morning pee and naked (to better my chances!) and am 7 lbs heavier than at funding application!!!! :( Am soooo worried incase they refuse to see me because of this...... got sooooo close I really don't want to get rejected now! Am putting the questionnaire into doctors this morning for him to post on to Hospital with his forms..... still 2 weeks til xmas over so expect this weight to possibly increase moreso!!!! Am intending from 27th Dec to go onto Calorie Counting to try to reduce my gains as much as poss before appointment - if they still agree to see me..... should I have lied and put on form my funding weight to ensure appointment? Aaarrrgggghhhhhh - hope I haven't lost out already over this - WHY DID I TRY TO GET FUNDING ETC JUST BEFORE XMAS !!!???!!! Earlier in the year this would've been easier to stick to!!! :(

AM SOOOOOOO WORRIED - what if they DO see me but I haven't been lucky enough to lose much before then?

I sent my form off to Chichester directly and got my GP to fax over the funding letter to get things going quicker. Is that a possibility?

Thanks Tango. I posted it through the Doctors letterbox at about 8am this morning so assume he may get it in the post to Chichester with his stuff later today.
Rang Funding department to query their paragraph re removing funding and he said once funding is granted they never hear my weight / BMI again - it is aimed as deterrent rather than holding any weight (s'cuse the pun!) - he said due to how worried I was getting that he may reword that paragraph in future. PHEW! SO a few pounds extra isn't a definate refusal - all down to Surgeon and his team from now on.
Rang Chichester hospital and asked time span so to gauge approx month for appointment to know when to relose as much as poss by..... they said at moment they are booking for End Jan so they expect they may get my forms end this week in which case I should if all forms ok, get appointment for February to see them. From Xmas that would give me a minimum of 5 weeks to lose what I can.
So thats it now - done all I can form wise - now gonna forget about it - enjoy xmas period then knuckle down 2000000000%

Jill

Hi Poppyowner, Im due to go to my first 'whole day' appointment at Chichester next Tuesday (21st). I know full well Ive put on weight since my funding was granted in mid October and Im also pretty worried!! I will let you know how it goes and what to expect as we are at very similar stages of the journey. :)

Thanks Tango. I posted it through the Doctors letterbox at about 8am this morning so assume he may get it in the post to Chichester with his stuff later today.
Rang Funding department to query their paragraph re removing funding and he said once funding is granted they never hear my weight / BMI again - it is aimed as deterrent rather than holding any weight (s'cuse the pun!) - he said due to how worried I was getting that he may reword that paragraph in future. PHEW! SO a few pounds extra isn't a definate refusal - all down to Surgeon and his team from now on.
Rang Chichester hospital and asked time span so to gauge approx month for appointment to know when to relose as much as poss by..... they said at moment they are booking for End Jan so they expect they may get my forms end this week in which case I should if all forms ok, get appointment for February to see them. From Xmas that would give me a minimum of 5 weeks to lose what I can.
So thats it now - done all I can form wise - now gonna forget about it - enjoy xmas period then knuckle down 2000000000%

Jill

Im glad the man at the PCT put your mind at rest. When you have your MDT meeting you will get weighed again it is then you will need to maintain your weight until you get to your preassessment and pre op diet. February isnt a long time away and before you know it you will all be done and dusted and on the losers bench for good! Good luck, if you want to know anything else regarding St Richards please ask. x

Thanks Tango - so maintain or lose between full day appointment and if that goes successfully til pre-assess / pre-diet ..... will be trying to lose what I can especially hard from 27th Dec and watching what I eat more so in lead up as now at new highest weight :(

Jaysee - firstly GOOD LUCK with your appointment - please do let me know how you get on :) Being a bit nosey here but how much heavier do you know you are? Did you see though I rang funding and they said they can't refuse funding once given as they don't get to hear of your weight so don't worry on that score (easier said than done I know!)
Will be thinking of you on 21st - let me know what happens there please so I know what to expect - have everything crossed for you - by the way - how much notice did they give you for your appointment? Just wondering as hubby got to book time off to drive me LOL

Thanks hon. No idea but Im guessing Ive put on about 10lbs (I dont weigh myself). Ive torn my knee cartilage so have been sitting about doing very little for about 6 weeks!
Its about 6 weeks since I sent back that huge form so you should have your appointment around mid Jan, I got the appt letter 2 weeks ago so plenty of notice. Do you know who your consultant is?

Hi Jaysee

I don't know my consultant yet as only today posted off the huge questionnaire. Ouch - your poor knee !!!
Good Luck re. appointment - hope you get the go ahead for the surgery you want.

Jill xx

Jaysee and Poppy
Had you both been on weight reduction programmes in the year before you got your funding? I only ask as Chichester is my local and i'm under surrey and sussex nhs trust and have had my funding form submitted but my GP was worried as i haven't been following a weight reduction plan for the last 12 months, lets just forget the last 25 years shall we!

Just wondered if either of had that's all. ta

Hi Chuffy,
Im under Surrey PCT and they are very 'hit and miss' with their funding. I didnt have to go on any weight reduction programmes, I just had to see a dietician and I attended a healthy eating course for 4 weeks which was voluntary and they knew Id already tried different weight reduction drugs in past years. It tends to depend on your BMI and any connected health issues..i.e. whether its cost effective for them to fund the surgery.

I didn't have to attend a Dietician as had been on Slimming World for 8 years and tried Xenical through doctor.

Jill x

Back