• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can any banders give me advice please?

Gerry

Have been down for having a Gastric Bypass op for some time. My notes got lost in the system for 18 months but have an appointment coming up on 17th Sept.

Initially I'd lost courage, then changed my mind, but now am considering if having a band may be better for me. I'm currently 20st 4lb (heaviest was about 21st 7lb but lost some on Slimfast) and have mobility problems. Registered disabled and that particular health issue is something I was born with, not weight related, so will still be there afterwards, although loosing weight will help ease the problems it presents somewhat.

What I want to know is...is having a band an easier op than a bypass? Is the incision(s) less/fewer. What is recovery time like, how soon does it start to work, how good is the weight loss?

I've heard about going for 'fills' etc. Does this mean you have something left on the outside of your body to have the fills done? Does that cause any problems rubbing on clothes, sheets etc?

Would love to hear from anyone who's had a band fitted as I want to get some more info so I can make some kind of decision before I see them at the hospital next week.

Many thanks for any/all info anyone can give me.

Hi Gerry,

Not sure on the op scars tbh - if both are done keyhole I believe its similiar.
The port for fills is on the inside just under your skin so you can feel it with your fingers - its not a bother in any way.
My advice is - let the surgeon decide what is best for you !

Good luck xx

Hi There,

I am a bander. I never considered a bypass as the decision regarding finances was down to my hubby and we decided I shouldn't take that route.

My feelings of my band are mixed. In all honesty, the first five months were hellish. I didn't really lose and my weight was up and down.
However, now that I have the right amount of restriction, me and my band are working hard together.
My advice to you on this is that if you are deciding to go down the band route, the results may not be immediate. I do feel healthier for my weight loss at present. The loss has been gradual and consistent and feels like I am changing my habits towards food and a healthy way of life.
I feel that my band will always be a big part of my life, it is something I think about on an hourly basis - not sure if that is a good thing but before my band, it was the food I was going to consume that occupied my mind.
I have been left with a small pattern of scars on my belly, not something that bothers me so much, but I also have scars from when I had my gall bladder removed 2 years ago - so my belly is like a dot-to-dot of my battle with my weight - this is a reminder I would sometimes not have.
The fills are quick and painless, much like the op. I was back at work within a week and just spent 2 days resting afterwards, the anaesthetic affects me more than the actual op.
Take a look at my diary - this might give an insight into the emotions etc that I was going through at the time of my surgery.
Best Wishes in whatever path you choose
x

What I want to know is...is having a band an easier op than a bypass? Is the incision(s) less/fewer. What is recovery time like, how soon does it start to work, how good is the weight loss?

I've heard about going for 'fills' etc. Does this mean you have something left on the outside of your body to have the fills done? Does that cause any problems rubbing on clothes, sheets etc?

I'm going to tell you what I was told at surgicare when they assessed me.
The bypass and sleeve are much more effective. Although the recovery time is said to be much quicker with the band than the bypass, its all down to the person. I went back to work as a health care assistant (which can be quite physical) after 2 weeks.
I couldn't tell you what the recovery time is for the bypass though, as I haven't really looked into it, it was never an option for me either as I paid for mine private & the costing of the bypass was too much.
They told me (and I won't quote the percentage of people as I can't remember properly) but there is quite a high percentage of banders who do not reach their goal. Mr Ammori told me I would have more of a chance of doing this that a lot as I am quite young (27) and should finding losing weight a lot easier than older people. He also said the better thing about the band is that you have less chance of excess skin as the rate of losing weight is a lot slower than the bypass.

The band fills are really quick & painfree. Its just like a needle in your arm..apart from into your stomach. the port is under the skin, and until my first fill...I wasn't able to locate it myself. I'm not sure if it will stick out or become more noticable as I lose weight, but it won't be a problem with rubbing against clothes or bedsheets.

I have 5 scars. 4 are tiny dots & one is a little bigger at the top of my stomach, but that one is only about 1.5 inches long.

hope this helps

xx

Hi Gerry

Take a look at this link, its to a page on the British Obesity Surgery Patient Association (BOSPA) and may help.

BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association

The site quotes an average weight loss of 50- 65% of excess weight in the 2 years after having a band fitted. This is only an average, many - myself included have lost more and in less time.

Good luck with your journey!

Back