• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can anyone give me a little advise

Hi, well the Dr has said he is going to refer me to a Mr Small(sunderland hospital) ? I meet all the NICE crireria for my area and he mentioned PCT. Does anyone know how long from the Dr refering me before i get an appointment to see Mr Small.:wave_cry:

hi janie its not normally that long maybe a few weeks for the referal to be processed mr small is my consultant and you will be in very good hands with him, once you have met mr small u will be banded 3-6 months after that.
good luck, if theres any questions you have feel free to ask me or pm me.
best wishes liz xx

hi janie its not normally that long maybe a few weeks for the referal to be processed mr small is my consultant and you will be in very good hands with him, once you have met mr small u will be banded 3-6 months after that.
good luck, if theres any questions you have feel free to ask me or pm me.
best wishes liz xx
Hi Liz, thanks, just a bit worried that I build my hopes up and get refused. I dont know how it works, do I get refered then Dr applies for funding or everything done at same time. Do I really fit the criteria?(18+ stone,BMI 49ish,3 different weight pills over past 2-3 years,dietician,gym)All the Dr said was that I fit the criteria and that he would refer me and mentioned PCT but didnt go into detail. I was there all of 5 minutes and then out, I had so much to ask, but didnt get the chance. Seeing nurse soon going to ask her.xxx:confused:

Hi Liz, thanks, just a bit worried that I build my hopes up and get refused. I dont know how it works, do I get refered then Dr applies for funding or everything done at same time. Do I really fit the criteria?(18+ stone,BMI 49ish,3 different weight pills over past 2-3 years,dietician,gym)All the Dr said was that I fit the criteria and that he would refer me and mentioned PCT but didnt go into detail. I was there all of 5 minutes and then out, I had so much to ask, but didnt get the chance. Seeing nurse soon going to ask her.xxx:confused:

hi janie, i didnt get involved in the funding side i was just refered and went thro the process after meeting mr small, you deffo fit the criteria for our area my bmi was 45 when i started and i weighed 19st the day of my op. i just like you had tryed all the diets and been on all the prescription weight loss drugs. i cant really see there being any problems and there is no reason they would refuse an op. i shall pm you my msn addy if you would like to talk 1-2-1 then feel free to add me.
liz xx

i tryed to send you a personal message, but it said that you are not accepting personal messages.

hi janie, i didnt get involved in the funding side i was just refered and went thro the process after meeting mr small, you deffo fit the criteria for our area my bmi was 45 when i started and i weighed 19st the day of my op. i just like you had tryed all the diets and been on all the prescription weight loss drugs. i cant really see there being any problems and there is no reason they would refuse an op. i shall pm you my msn addy if you would like to talk 1-2-1 then feel free to add me.
liz xx
Morning Liz, just seen nurse and she has reasured me a bit. She said she cant see any problem(I have an excellent chance), my doctor has already sent away for funding ,once that is in place I will get an appointment from Mr Small. She even said that I will have loose skin and that I will be able to get surgery for that at a later time. I think I have sorted the message thing, computers all new to me,never really talked to anyone on it, just download music and buy stuff.

yes i had the loose skin, when the time came mr small refered me to the plastics team, they were also very good with me. i feel realy excited for you as i remember how i felt at the stage you are at now.
good luck
liz xx

yes i had the loose skin, when the time came mr small refered me to the plastics team, they were also very good with me. i feel realy excited for you as i remember how i felt at the stage you are at now.
good luck
liz xx
Thanks Liz, its good to talk to someone who understands and has been in my shoes and whos had it done. Although it is a little frightening and exciting at the same time.:)

Hi janie, great news on making progress. I heard about my funding within a few weeks and then was seen for my initial appointment within 6 weeks. the whole process was quite quick and straightforwad. good luck and keep us posted x

Ok, I have recieved a letter today from my doctors letting me know that they have referred me to a Mr Small, sunderland and that he will send me an appointment "if he is in a position to consider this." What does this mean"if he is in a position to consider this"? HELP.:confused:

Ok, I have recieved a letter today from my doctors letting me know that they have referred me to a Mr Small, sunderland and that he will send me an appointment "if he is in a position to consider this." What does this mean"if he is in a position to consider this"? HELP.:confused:

this will just be a standard courtesy letter from the gp stating that they have refered you, they cant make the decision if you are fit for surgery, only the surgeon can do that, it should not be a problem, he will read the referal letter then sunderland hospital will send you an appointment to discuss your current situation. dont worry !

This could be my story, same wieght, same height and same journey.

Good luck and please keep us up todate on your progress.

I'm so pleased to have found this thread. I am 42 and 5'4" and just tipping the scales at 19st. A friend of mine told me last week about banding, it wasn't something I'd taken any notice of before. Anyway I did a bit of research and had an app with my doc this morning, she said they were on a conference about it last week, although she didn't go into any more details.
She has referred me to the diet and exercise team, I'm hoping this is my first step to getting to see Mr Small in Sunderland.
I did have exercise preoscribed before from another GP but it wasn't followed up. Any advice about how to speed up the process would be gratefully received.

Hi jordylass, welcome to Mini's :) There are lots of banders here, including some NHS ones, so I'm sure one will pop along and tell you about their experiences.

I had an NHS bypass, but had a very long drawn out process to get there, so might not be best to advise on speeding it up!

Hi Jordylass and welcome to minis. you will find lots of support and advice on here so any questions ask away x

Back