• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can i request a b12 inj or blood test?

Lisa J

CRYSTAL PALACE FC!
Hi all, had my bypass 4 months ago. no one has mentioned me having a b12 inj or blood test to make sure all's ok can i just request this from my own doctor?

I can't remember where I heard it but i recall something along the lines of not all post op WL patients will need it...however they should have their bloods checked when they are due their check up.

If it were me and I were worried, I'd ask the GP to get your bloods done.

(((hugs)))

it's so weird how there all so different. im just abit worried as i was given liquid iron to take and i just cannot stomach it so havent had it, at the moment im on calcious chewable and forceval was also given zinc but these made me feel sick and i read on here that they are full of sodium so dont take them either!

i did ask my gp and she said to speak to my op team but they said i have to stay on liquid? was going to tell my own gp i was going abroad so needed tablets instead of liquid-just an idea?

It does vary from consultant to consultant, the problem with B12 is that your body stores it for a long time, so initial deficiency isn't spotted until a little bit down the line, my consultant requested that I have 3 monthly B12 shots for the first year which I was getting at my GP's, they have an out patients clinic there, so no problem getting my shots!
I've recently had my 1 year post op bloods done again with my GP's and he's taken me of the B12 and Zinc as I’m running slightly high on both, I have another blood test booked up in 6 months where we will again review my vitamin levels!

What I would say is that its far better to have to much B12 stored in your system than not enough, B12 is the most important as deficiency can lead to motor neuron issues and nerve damage longer term!
Having your bloods done initially at 6 months and then 12 months is very important as you need to know if the vits your taking are working or if you need more or less of certain vitamins, in my case I need less, don’t just assume because someone else has been told they don’t need B12 or zinc or even iron that it applies to you, you must follow the direction of your GP or consultant.

Longer term your body will learn to adjust to the malabsorbtion aspects, and you will gain a greater range of vitimins from your diet as it slowly expands, this may result in your GP cutting certain vitimins back slightly, like in my case.

Hi I am taking liquid iron, spatone, as I am unable to tolerate pregaday it causes crampy stomach pain and explosive results !?! but not sure if it is enough iron:sigh:

hi i work for a gp and you can just request the blood tests i used to get my b12 inj every three months but then i got my bloods done and b12 level was good so now i have bloods every three months and if b12 drops then i will have the injection, not needed it for past 9 months. i also have my iron checked at same time.

i had my bloods done at 6 months everything was fine and have just requested them for my B12 and iron as i am bruising a lot at the moment. i just phoned my drs and made an appointment.

Hi, I am only 3 weeks post op but my GP has organised my quarterly vit B12 and due to longterm difficulties with ferratin i will have quarterly ferratin tests at same time. x

Back