• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gliclazide ...

Frosty

Hi all

After having some blood tests at the hospital , they said i needd a little tweak of my meds for my blood sugar as it was still over .

I take metformin but if i take too much i get tummy problems.
I spoke to my doctor and told him i need a tweak and he has put me on Glicklazide
The problem is i read that this drug is very good but can make you put on wieght.
Im on 80mg 1 tab once aday .

Anyone know if this will give me problems or is it a small dose and i will be ok since ive had by bypass.

Hi
Don't have any personal experience but my Mum is on these for her diabetes and she hasn't put any weight on since taking them if that helps at all!

Hi Frosty,

My best friend went on these for a while and sadly she gained half a stone in 4 weeks, so she went back to the doc and now she is on Prandin and they don't have that effect. Then again she did not alter diet and does little excercise which she was advised to do.

They don't cause this effect in everyone so try not to worry but if you do have problems your doctor can always advise something else;)

quick note

I found out a month ago that I was diabetic and have been precscribed the same drug, dosage 80 g..... not sure if it was the shock of finding out about my blood sugar but lost a stone in 3 weeks!

All the best

I seem to be completely the opposite to you Frosty. I was told I didn't need to take any of my diabetes meds or blood pressure meds at all any more. Was on Gliclazide and Metformin for my diabetes, and Ramipril and Amlodipine for my blood pressure (however, a urinetest showed proteins which means I may be back on the amlodipine as it helps protect the kidneys from the effects of the diabetes (or so I'm told). But currently on no meds at all. Even stopped taking my statin, and weaned myself off of my anti depressants. I do need to go and see my Doctor though to see if I do need to take any just in case.

Hi frosty
i take Metformin and had tummy problems, they changed it to modified release Metformin which stopped the problem. There are many more tabs they can change to, tell the Doctor of your concerns. I think i am on the maximum dose for Metformin and they gave me pioqlitazone (Actos) as an additional control.

Last edited:
I have been diabetic for about 15yrs (type II) I was on tabs to start with but went on to injecting insulin about 7yrs ago.
The problem is all meds for diabetes put weight on you. What most people don't realize is whether you are on tab or injections its all insulin.
As your body can't control it's own insulin levels the extra we take can add weight to you, mostly around the middle.
I'm afraid it's a case of suck it and see what works for you, and doesn't put any inches on ya.
I would say for myself, injections are much better than any tabs, easier to control your blood levels and no stomach upset ( I remember them well) :sick0019:

Ta very glad Dale

Hmm, when I was first given Metformin, I actually lost a few pounds. So I talked to my diabetes nurse about it and she said that Metformin is supposed to be weight-neutral. But insulin will make you put on weight :/

Back