• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can some one give me some advice

2011metoyou85

I there went to see surgeon yesterday and they have said to me about having a band fitted now as I have type 1 diabetes and he said after had op it is hard to control sugar level so advised me to have band. But I was really thinking about it today but I really don't know if I am metaly ready for it cause all I keep thinking about oh I'm never going to be able to have what I want. It not like I eat loads but I just what I eat.

Can people give me some alive please.

I say if your even having doubts your probably not ready, as your right your eating will never be the same again and for you to have the band fitted and revert back to your previous lifestyle is probably going to do you more harm than good.
I'm getting a band fitted but understand part of my weight is causednthrough a poor diet and know this is something that will have to change for the band to be effective
Good luck whatever you decide :)

I say if your even having doubts your probably not ready, as your right your eating will never be the same again and for you to have the band fitted and revert back to your previous lifestyle is probably going to do you more harm than good.
I'm getting a band fitted but understand part of my weight is causednthrough a poor diet and know this is something that will have to change for the band to be effective
Good luck whatever you decide :)

I really don't know some day I'm ok about it then other days It gets me down again. I suffer with depression and it's not helping.

I am sorry we did not get to meet on Friday. I am in Wolverhampton too. Do you want to try and meet up? I can talk to you about my experience with the band. Originally I was going to have a bypass but there were problems during the op. Who did you see on Friday? Hopefully someone who has diabetes can offer some advice and will be along soon. You need to be clear about what is going to help you the best and I am not sure why they think a band would be better when there are some clear benefits for people who are diabetic to be bypassed.

tranquil x

tranquil_butterfly said:
I am sorry we did not get to meet on Friday. I am in Wolverhampton too. Do you want to try and meet up? I can talk to you about my experience with the band. Originally I was going to have a bypass but there were problems during the op. Who did you see on Friday? Hopefully someone who has diabetes can offer some advice and will be along soon. You need to be clear about what is going to help you the best and I am not sure why they think a band would be better when there are some clear benefits for people who are diabetic to be bypassed.

tranquil x

Thats ok don't worry i don't know if I saw you there or not but I had to wait ages in the end. I saw dr khan and the dietician, I would like to meet you anytime your free, as I'm meant to have op on the 21 of this month

Thats ok don't worry i don't know if I saw you there or not but I had to wait ages in the end. I saw dr khan and the dietician, I would like to meet you anytime your free, as I'm meant to have op on the 21 of this month

I had not realised it was so soon. It is so important that you are clear about this. You may want to contact the hospital and ask if Dr Khan can see you again or discuss it with you over the phone. I am not diabetic so I do not know whether what Mr Khan is suggesting is right or not. I have the up-most respect for him - but he is human and even consultants can get it wrong. You need to be clear in your own mind why he now feels the band would be more suitable which is why a further discussion may help while you have time. I work in Brum so the next time I can meet would be next Saturday unless you are around tomorrow - I may be able to sort something? I drive and can meet you anywhere

tranquil x

Hiya there, I think at the end of the day only you know if ur ready or not hun, I went through the whole, I wont be able to eat this and that etc, thats normal, your thinking of the bad points rather the many good points wls has to offer. I was offered a bypass and I chose the band, the main reason for the surgeon offering me a band is because I was borderline diabetic and have problems with my insulin resistance because of pcos ( not sure why that is) anyhow I am glad I chose the band, best choice I ever made - Can I ask apart from worrying about wot u may or may not be able to eat , why do u think perhaps ur not mentally ready??? is it the worry ? unanswered questions???? All the best - Julie xx

BlueDiamond said:
Hiya there, I think at the end of the day only you know if ur ready or not hun, I went through the whole, I wont be able to eat this and that etc, thats normal, your thinking of the bad points rather the many good points wls has to offer. I was offered a bypass and I chose the band, the main reason for the surgeon offering me a band is because I was borderline diabetic and have problems with my insulin resistance because of pcos ( not sure why that is) anyhow I am glad I chose the band, best choice I ever made - Can I ask apart from worrying about wot u may or may not be able to eat , why do u think perhaps ur not mentally ready??? is it the worry ? unanswered questions???? All the best - Julie xx

I really don't know I think I am ready for the change but I'm really scared about not being alb to have what I want ever again, and does my heading in walking round the supermarket with hubby and he is eating what he wants. If you know what I mean.

I really don't know I think I am ready for the change but I'm really scared about not being alb to have what I want ever again, and does my heading in walking round the supermarket with hubby and he is eating what he wants. If you know what I mean.

I wont lie to you , your eating habits are going to change there are gonna be some things you wont be able to tolerate or shouldn't eat , but I look at it positively about the things I can eat. Try to focus on the positive rather then the negative side of things.... I know its hard at the moment because when u eat a certain way for so long its hard to break the habit. We have all been here so dont worry your not alone. xxx

BlueDiamond said:
I wont lie to you , your eating habits are going to change there are gonna be some things you wont be able to tolerate or shouldn't eat , but I look at it positively about the things I can eat. Try to focus on the positive rather then the negative side of things.... I know its hard at the moment because when u eat a certain way for so long its hard to break the habit. We have all been here so dont worry your not alone. xxx

I know it's going to be good for me but I'm just scared as well

Any wls is a big deal. You will probably go through a period of mourning about food but that passes. Then a whole new world opens up - suddenly food stops being the centre of your world and you get into other things. With wls must come a commitment to lifestyle change - being more active, eating healthily etc - the surgery alone will not do it.

I was walking through Wolverhampton today and they had some event going on with lots of food stalls. There were people tucking in to fat burgers, noodles, candy floss etc. I had a fill yesterday and am on liquids. For a moment I thought do I miss being able to do that and the answer is no. I couldn't eat like that even if I wanted to thanks to the band. Even if I could where would it lead - right back to where I was 13 months ago - not a place I want to be.

You may miss certain things but there are so many alternatives that you will find that will be so much better for you.

tranquil x

tranquil_butterfly said:
Any wls is a big deal. You will probably go through a period of mourning about food but that passes. Then a whole new world opens up - suddenly food stops being the centre of your world and you get into other things. With wls must come a commitment to lifestyle change - being more active, eating healthily etc - the surgery alone will not do it.

I was walking through Wolverhampton today and they had some event going on with lots of food stalls. There were people tucking in to fat burgers, noodles, candy floss etc. I had a fill yesterday and am on liquids. For a moment I thought do I miss being able to do that and the answer is no. I couldn't eat like that even if I wanted to thanks to the band. Even if I could where would it lead - right back to where I was 13 months ago - not a place I want to be.

You may miss certain things but there are so many alternatives that you will find that will be so much better for you.

tranquil x

Yeah did you get my last message.

I know it's going to be good for me but I'm just scared as well

thats completely natural to be scared - I was scared and even when I came round I thought cr*p have I made the choice. but any change is scarey, you will be out of your comfort zone, but I will tell you this, you will soon adapt and before u know it your new eating habits will become a way of life and give it some time and you not even notice the change it will become "the norm" xxx

BlueDiamond said:
thats completely natural to be scared - I was scared and even when I came round I thought cr*p have I made the choice. but any change is scarey, you will be out of your comfort zone, but I will tell you this, you will soon adapt and before u know it your new eating habits will become a way of life and give it some time and you not even notice the change it will become "the norm" xxx

The only reason I'm doing this is so I can have a family, because I have Pcos I'm finding it hard to conceive.

The only reason I'm doing this is so I can have a family, because I have Pcos I'm finding it hard to conceive.

I have pcos too have had it for over 20 odd years. I was fortunate to conceive str8 away with both of my 2 - As I said before think of the positive things that will come out of wls not the negative. But as I said at the beginning , only you will know if ur not ready, being scared/worrying etc is normal. But if u feel ur truly not ready then u need 2 speak to your team xx

BlueDiamond said:
I have pcos too have had it for over 20 odd years. I was fortunate to conceive str8 away with both of my 2 - As I said before think of the positive things that will come out of wls not the negative. But as I said at the beginning , only you will know if ur not ready, being scared/worrying etc is normal. But if u feel ur truly not ready then u need 2 speak to your team xx

Yeah I know I just don't know I will end up having it done tho I know I will. Did you have your Children before surgery or was it after

Back