• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can someone explain for me....

Wobbletogo

Likes to read
on the basis that weight management is managed by balancing the consumption and burning of calories, why is it then that it seems so important to take in 60-70grms of protein a day and to concentrate on protein.

Surely whether the calories are made of protein or carbs or fat, if you're burning 1500 calories a day, but only consuming 800, you will lose weight?

An expert will correct me I'm sure, but I think the importance of protein is for several reasons

1. To help healing in the immediate post op period.

2. Protein is needed for general muscle/connective tissue repair and maintenance. On a low calorie diet you lose muscle as well as fat. Maintaining muscle is important for general wellbeing and for maintaining metabolic rate. Muscles burn calories, so you do better with your exercise regime.

A bit simplistic, but I'm sure someone who knows more will be along.

I've hijacked this off the interweb :D

Next to water, protein is the most abundant substance in the human body. The word "protein" is derived from the Greek word meaning "of first importance." This is literally true for the bariatric surgery patient. Protein is undeniably the most important nutrient in the bariatric diet.

Weight loss surgery causes severe trauma to the body. After bariatric surgery or gastric bypass surgery, you must take in sufficient protein every day to speed wound healing, preserve your lean body mass, enhance your fat-burning metabolism and minimize hair loss. Foods that are high in protein should always be eaten first during meals. The recommended long term post-surgery protein intake may vary from 55 to over 100 grams per day, depending on your individual needs and the bariatric diet provided by your surgeon or dietitian.

It's very difficult to consume enough protein from foods alone during the first several months after weight loss surgery. Most bariatric surgery patients integrate liquid protein supplements such as shakes, cold drinks, hot drinks, soups and puddings into their diet after surgery and many continue to use them as a balanced, convenient source of protein and nutrition for the rest of their lives.

Protein provides many important benefits to the bariatric surgery patient:
" Protein aids in proper wound healing after bariatric surgery.
" Protein helps keep your hair, skin, bones and nails healthy.
" Protein helps form hormones, enzymes and immune system antibodies to help your body function properly.
" Protein helps your body burn fat instead of muscle for a healthier weight loss.
" Protein supports your natural metabolism so you lose weight quicker.
" Protein curb's your hunger between meals.

Your body is actually made up of thousands of different proteins. Because your body is constantly making new proteins and because you don't store amino acids (the building blocks of protein), you need to intake a new supply of protein each day. The body can make 13 amino acids, but 9 amino acids are essential, meaning they cannot be made by your body and must come from food sources. There are both complete and incomplete protein sources. Complete proteins contain all the essential amino acids needed for the body to make new protein. Incomplete proteins are lacking one or more essential amino acids. A good source of complete protein is animal protein which includes meat, fish, eggs and dairy products. Vegetable or plant protein is incomplete protein.

As you follow your bariatric diet, keep in mind that plant proteins are not "complete" proteins. (A complete protein is one food item that contains all of the essential amino acids). Plant proteins should be used together with animal protein sources to provide you with all of the essential amino acids you need.

Protein Content of Foods

Examples of Animal Protein Foods Amount Grams of Protein

Beef, lean 1 ounce 7 grams
Cheese (American, cheddar, provolone, Swiss) 1 ounce 7 grams
Cheese, cottage 1/4 cup 7 grams
Cheese, ricotta 1/4 cup 7 grams
Chicken 1 ounce 7 grams
Egg or egg substitute 1 egg 7 grams
Fish and shellfish 1 ounce 7 grams
Milk, skim (recommended) 8 ounces 12 grams
Pork 1 ounce 7 grams
Turkey 1 ounce 7 grams
Yogurt, nonfat or low-fat fruit flavored 3/4 cup 12 grams
Yogurt, plain nonfat 3/4 cup 12 grams
Examples of Plant Protein Foods Amount Grams of Protein
Beans and peas (black-eyed, garbanzo, kidney, pinto, split, white)
1/2 cup 7 grams

Cereal, ready to eat 3/4 cup 3 grams
Corn 1/2 cup 3 grams
Lentils 1/2 cup 7 grams
Lima beans 2/3 cup 7 grams
Non-starchy vegetables (tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers)
1/2 cup cooked 2 grams

Oats 1/2 cup 3 grams
Pasta 1/2 cup 3 grams
Potatoes, baked or mashed 1/2 cup 3 grams
Soy burger, veggie burger 1 ounce 3 grams
Soy milk 8 ounces 7 grams
Tofu 4 ounces 7 grams

Thanks Fading Grace, very informative.

Thanks for this fading grace, very interesting x

Just to add from my experience that I have really struggled with my protein intake as I am meat & poultry intolerant & can't consume the volume of veggie protein to hit my targets. As a consequence I stopped loosing as my body goes into 'starvation mode' according to my dietician. With their help I take additional protein supplements & this has helped me tremendously. I lost 8 stones in just over 6 months post op.

One thing to add would be that in malapsorptive procedures, we absorb the protein less well - hence the differences in the allowances we have.

I have been losing well but find that I seem to go through phases of not being able to tolerate some food. I am not presently getting enough protein and I don't really know how to boost it. I have tried protein drinks but would prefer to get it through food. I suppose the best thing to have would be milk but after the milk diet I find that hard to really like it again!!

Any ideas for sneaking protien in??

There has been suggested some 'protein water' somewhere here on the forum. I don't eat too much meat generally (not because I am vegetarian, but never really felt like eating too much of it), so the protein sports drink and the protein water will have to do it for me. And eggs.

Or find in google Lowcarb megastore and buy something you like eating. They sell food mostly for people who are on high protein - Low carbohydrate diet.

Last edited:
I have been losing well but find that I seem to go through phases of not being able to tolerate some food. I am not presently getting enough protein and I don't really know how to boost it. I have tried protein drinks but would prefer to get it through food. I suppose the best thing to have would be milk but after the milk diet I find that hard to really like it again!!

Any ideas for sneaking protien in??

You can add marvel milk powder to things to boost protein too. I also use pro shot drinks 25g protein for 1 drink but a bit expensive. Google them if you are interested. In the early days on solids I found by shredding 2 thin slices of M & S lean corn beef into a little mashed potato gave me 22g protein for very little volume. Enrich the mash with an egg will increase it too.

Back