• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

can someone please help regarding "Exceptional treatment" ( my letter)

Inked_Up

Hi everyone,
im just wondering if anyone can help me?
i have had a lapband for 7 years, i managed to lose a bit of weight a few years ago but had a baby and gained it all back, my band dosnt work for me, so my surgeon suggested going for funding for a bypass, but i had to start from scratch and get refered from my GP,
i went to my GP abput 5 weeks ago and last week i got this letter..

" i would like to acknowledge reciept of your requestfor bariatric surgery with regard to the above named patient.

The request will be reviewed with regard to exceptionality.Once all relevant information is recieved and requirements are met, your request will be taken to the next available Exceptional Treatment panel meeting for a decision."

Can anyone please tell me what this means? why is is an "exceptional treatment request"?

im a bit upset as i think it means they will turn me down, :(

thanks in advance x

Hiya

I can only assume its exceptional because its revision surgery ie not a straightforward op. It sounds like your on your way though.

Good luck x

I think they are just advising your case willbe reviewedin front of the board. As funding is tight at the minute so think they just trying to drag their feet.

If for some reason they do turn you down get in writing and then you can appeal the decision.

All bariatric surgery comes under exceptional treatements - basically because it's not something your PCT will automatically fund. :)

I think what theyre saying is that they require more info before they'll take it to panel.. i.e they may require a sleep study

I would imagine its to go over your previous surgery and why it didnt work.Then if you dont meet the required bmi,they will make an exception if they feel you would benefit from further surgery.You dont say why the band failed for you,they may ask why you have left it so long.Its all guesswork,best wait to see what they say rather than get worried for no reason yet!

The exceptional rules are if you meet your pct guidelines but dont have other health reasons ie diabetes or heart probs or severe sleep aponea.or vice versa say your bmi is too low but you have a health problem that warrents surgery.I am waiting to hear about funding,I meet the bmi required but no co morbidities.So my surgeon is putting my case forward cos I have had two prolapses both repaired but need to lose a drastic amount to prevent a further prolapse.Next time I may need a totally radical surgery that will seal me up permanently!!Go figour, I know which surgery I dont want! Maz x

thanks everyone, ive been looking into it, basicaly its probably because im in an area that wont give funding at the moment, or because ive got a lapband, and instead of going for individual funding, ( which i probably wouldnt get) my gp has put me forward for exceptional funding, basicaly asking the board to make an exception when deciding.
Maz, may i just ask a question about your prolapses if you dont mind?
My mum had a prolapse repair 3 years ago, but had just literaly been to the nurse yesterday and she said it has happened again, i didnt think it could, did they tell you why it happened again? my mums upset that she has to go through all the surgery again, and would it be worth it if its just going to happen again? thanks :)

Hi Hun,Yes they can reoccur.My first op was about 4 years ago and again last june.Is your mum overweight?I was told this can happen with anyone but predominatly if you are overweight.That is why my gynea doc has written a letter of support for wls.I got a designer vagina last year and he fixed an old episiotomy scar from 34 years ago!It was 6 months till it felt totally normal down there but so worth it.Tell your mum to go for it,otherwise the prolapse will get worse,with urinary problems,soreness,smells etc.I was told that if I dont lose weight and keep it off I would need a radical op were the vagina is permanently sealed to prevent further prolapse.So bye bye sex life!!!! Maz x

Hi I got my funding through the exceptional cases team. It was because I didn't meet the normal criteria so we had to prove that I was an exception to anyone else in my circumstances. Good luck.

thanks Dreamsofbeenslim, i really hope i get accepted! im mugging the postman every morning even though i know its probably ages before they let me know!

thanks maz, yes my mum is over weight but not a great deal, she had a heart attack at the age of 49 5 years ago so stopped smoking and gained a few stone, she will have the op again as she hates the way it feels "down there" lol

Back