• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

can we eat dried fruits ?

jaynefrances

Might seem an inane question, but i've been looking at some sugar free recipe options for sweet things and found a fridge bar that you make with nuts and dried fruit that i really fancy.
I've not had dried fruit since my surgery and was wondering if the natural sugars are too concentrated and might make me dump - or will i be okay with them ?

Not sure about yourself but I eat them quite regularly. Not nuts so much as these are classed as a 'problem' food but I do eat them OK.

I agree with Dawn, try a few first when you are not planning on going out. I certainly remember them pushing my blood sugars up quite high when I was taking regular readings for my diabetes. I haven't dumped yet so am probably quite tolerant, but I do get mild palpatations sometimes and stop eating whatever it is that may be causing it.

Nuts and seeds should be OK but they are carbs so I wouldn't eat too many.

HTH xx

Try them hun - but on a day when your not busy lol. Im absolutely fine with them, but everyones different x

i ate drigs figs and prunes early post op, to uhhh help in the loo dept... and they never caused me any bother.

also i wouldnt worry about the carbs (for a start fruit have way more anyways) in nuts and seeds, as you really shouldnt be eating them in such a quantity for the carbs to be conidered high. And you do need carbs to have a healthy balanced diet. But they are high in fat... its a "good" fat though, so again i would try not to worry, as long as your having it as a balanced diet.

slowly slowly catchy monkey...

give some dried fruit a trial run, a small bit at first, and at home, when you know that if they do make you poorly you can have a wee lay down etc

:)

.x.

I eat mixed fruit and nuts but dump if I have too many which is still less than a handful. Try a little at home and see how you go.
x

Good post

xx

I would probably give them a go - I think most people find natural sugars a little easier to tolerate than other sugars. How do you usually respond to fruit? If you're okay with it you'll probably be okay with these too.

BTW...if they're yummy please send me the recipe!!!

I gave it a go and just had a piece that was 2 bite size and didn't have any problems. I'll avoid eating a larger piece as don't want to push my luck. Besides, two bites was enough to satisfy the sweetie craving.

Lisa - The recipe consisted of:
125g butter
125g cocoa
4tblspn granulated sweetener
Melt in a pan and add 150g mixed fruit and nuts
However when i was making this i felt that there was too much butter to fruit/nut mix so i added in a lot more fruit and nuts, till i felt it was right (probably doubled the quantity)
I set this in a tin (it makes enough to do a 1inch layer in a loaf tin) in the fridge, then later topped with a layer of diabetic milk chocolate.
It kept for days in the fridge (might have kept longer if hubby hadn't scoffed it all !)
It was a good quick and easy fix for sweetie/choc craving and cos it was chewy it lasted longer and felt more filling than just eating chocolate, but due to butter / choc content, definitely an occasional treat !

I gave it a go and just had a piece that was 2 bite size and didn't have any problems. I'll avoid eating a larger piece as don't want to push my luck. Besides, two bites was enough to satisfy the sweetie craving.

Lisa - The recipe consisted of:
125g butter
125g cocoa
4tblspn granulated sweetener
Melt in a pan and add 150g mixed fruit and nuts
However when i was making this i felt that there was too much butter to fruit/nut mix so i added in a lot more fruit and nuts, till i felt it was right (probably doubled the quantity)
I set this in a tin (it makes enough to do a 1inch layer in a loaf tin) in the fridge, then later topped with a layer of diabetic milk chocolate.
It kept for days in the fridge (might have kept longer if hubby hadn't scoffed it all !)
It was a good quick and easy fix for sweetie/choc craving and cos it was chewy it lasted longer and felt more filling than just eating chocolate, but due to butter / choc content, definitely an occasional treat !

Thanks Jayne...sounds yummy. I'll be giving this a go x

Back