• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can we give Blood ?

Loving the Loop

Here's a question :confused:

I am currently not a Blood Donor but there is a drive in the office to encourage new Donor's and I was wondering if I would be OK to donate. I never discussed this with my team.

Funnily enough Loops, I've been thinking the same recently. I always used to donate, and then due to some horrible health times around the birth of my two, I was advised to stop..... and I've never restarted again. Be interested in the response.

Hey Loop
I think this might be one of those things where different places have different interpretation of the rules, and the rules are quite complicated so it might be okay for one person but not another. If you go to a blood donor session they'll give you a detailed medical questionnaire to fill in and then the doctor or one of the nurses will assess your suitability so it would definitely do no harm to try.

I used to give blood regularly but once I was under the care of the bariatric team and on the waiting list for surgery I was told to stop as generally they don't want people who are having hospital appointments and treatment. My area might just be super-strict though, and in any case I'm not sure if routine post-op follow up would be a barrier. I think there's also specific rules if you're receiving B12 but I didn't take much notice of what the rules are as they don't apply to me. So I'd say it's definitely worth a try and see what they say once they know your medical history. Even if you can't donate on this occasion you'll get an idea of when you can go back in the future. It really doesn't hurt and, even better, it's great for an excuse for a little lie down and relaxation during the day :)

Potter x

Thanks Potter,

I suspected it might not be an easy yes or no. I'll talk to one of my team or someone at the clinic the next time have an appointment. I thought the fact I am on vitamin supplement might be an issue, and then there is the fact my blood test showed some deficiencies.

Its not as if I have to donate tomorrow or anything, just thought it might be a good way to give back a little, I have had a lot of assistance from the NHS this past 6 months.

if you have had a operation within the last 2 years you cant give blood anyway. after that I suppose it depends on what your healthcare team says

This is really interesting .. I would think our blood would be super healthy due to good food and vits etc ..
So we can't give blood for 2 years , even if we didn't receive blood during our op ?
Mindy
Xxxx

No Mindy you can't not after having any operation even if you didnt receive any blood. ear piercing is also classed as a operation
Carol
xx

Last edited:
Wow I did not know that ! Learn something new every day!

I was told that as a bypasser giving blood is a NO-NO due to the deficiency in the vitamins in our bodies, even though we tale multi-vits etc. Apparently, this applies for the rest of our lives.

Last edited:
Back