• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can you avoid loose skin after major weight loss???

Stinie

Hi all.

Was wondering if there is anything you can do to avoid too much loose skin after losing weight?

I'm only at the start of my weight loss journey (only just been referred to weight loss management) but if there is anything I can do before/while/after losing weight to avoid loose skin then I will do it!

Or perhaps there are things to avoid which will make loose skin worse?

Anything at all is appreciated xx

I really don't think anything you do or don't do will really make much difference, its a bit like pregnancy and stretch marks some ladies will give birth to a 5lb baby and have stretch marks galore, another person can have a 10lb baby and be mark free, I think its one of those mysteries, I feel pretty lucky to be over 9st down and not have too much of an issue yet.............
However if I am able to lose 2 more stones who knows what will happen

Last edited:
Hello wish I could help the only thing I hear people talk about is slow weight lost exercise and tonning up so far ive lost 4 stone slowly and so far other than bingo wings and a bit of a belly I hope it won't be too bad
im sure ithers will have more to say on the matter
good luck in the meantime

I suppose you're right its a very individual thing - I guess I'm just hoping someone will know a miracle method lol

I'm trying to imagine what my life will be like if I get approved for surgery - I cant picture myself as slim as Ive never really seen it - not since I was a kid anyway..

There are only a few things that scare me about wls:

1. the surgery itself - potential complications etc
2. future complications
3. excessive loose skin

I mean, I dont like needles and Ive never been anesthetised before but that's just part of the deal lol

thanks for your replies xx

I think everyone has the same worries to some degree, tbh the "dying on the table" thing was nothing more than a fleeting thought for me, I was more worried about keeling over from a heart attack due to the excess weight.
I have been so lucky and had no complications since surgery and fingers crossed it continues that way
So far the skin isn't much of an issue, but I'd rather be a size 14 in sucky-in pants than a size 24 :D

I think the type so skin (do you get stretch marks?), the amount of weight you loose, how quickly it comes off and your age all factor into it. My surgeon said you exchange fat for loose skin, and if you decide to have a TT etc, you will exchange loose skin for scars. Big pants become your friend ;) x

I know loose skin is a small price to pay for being much more healthy - I just don't like not knowing what's going to happen lol xx

If you run fast enough, you might be able to use your bingo wings to fly away from it and avoid it that way?

If you run fast enough, you might be able to use your bingo wings to fly away from it and avoid it that way?

hehe if only that would work :p

I had complications post op and I have loose skin but I'd take being a size 8/10 over a size 24 any day! I can run up stairs, walk miles and my hubby can throw me about the bedroom! ;) Positives outweigh the negatives x

I had complications post op and I have loose skin but I'd take being a size 8/10 over a size 24 any day! I can run up stairs, walk miles and my hubby can throw me about the bedroom! ;) Positives outweigh the negatives x

oh what it must be like to be thrown about the bedroom lol xx

I've lost 58kg in total (just over 9 stone), 41kg of it since surgery last year, and things have definitely gone South a bit! Of course, age and gravity have also had a hand in that outcome.

I'm certainly no oil painting when I'm nekkid, but to be honest, I didn't look particularly flash with my kit off before I lost weight. All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with how things are: I'm a little droopy but feel great, look pretty damn good clothed and am definitely much more comfortable wearing a bathing suit in public.

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

I know I must seem silly in your eyes to be worrying about a bit of loose skin - you have all been where I am now and you have fought hard to be where you are now - I really admire that.

Because I haven't even started my weight loss journey yet I'm thinking about all the things that might/might not happen and I have about a million things in my head at the moment.

And you're right when you say that being slimmer and healthier is so much more important than a bit of extra skin.

I think I find it hard to believe that I too will feel like that when/if I ever get to that stage. I am so used to having a body that I don't like and I find it hard to imagine what it will be like not to be trapped in all this fat.

I take your words of wisdom and keep them in my mind for future reference :)

××

You're not silly at all. I never thought I would care that much about the loose skin. I thought I'd be so happy to lose the weight that I wouldn't need to worry about the loose skin and it can't be worse than being fat. And its not, but it really is messing with my head now. So definitely worth keeping in mind.

I think if you are very large it is almost certain you will have some loose skin somewhere. Having said that I don't think losing weight too quickly helps and I also believe many people go in for skin removal surgery too early - before the skin has really had time to tighten up and in many cases while there is actually still quite a lot of fat attached to the skin which prevents it from snapping back. If you think about it skin is actually quite thin but it is the fat and tissue trapped in between that creates the hanging rolls.

Be prepared for the loose skin and if you think it will bother you then start saving up money now. Plastic surgery doesn't come cheap...

I am the opposite to you Stinie, I can see myself as slim because that is what I see in the mirror. It's only when I see photos that I see my real self!!!

Debbie

I'm a bit worried about loose skin, I'm only a few weeks out but already I'm seeing signs of it. But I'd rather have loose skin and have to worry about getting rid of it than the weight.

A friend was teasing me recently that once I get down to a weight I'm happier with, I am not allowed to own a convertible. If I do, I'll be like a flying squirrel if I take it on the motorway.

don't worry too soon.

I had a fair bit of loose skin at 6 months out..... a bit more at 9 months......

But now - well - I've not lost anything in about 3 > 4 months - but everything has tightened up and I've got no loose skin now to speak of. I'm therefore still shrinking though my weight isnt moving for now.

Would love to see some weight loss (still trying !) but tbh - if it means not having a load of loose skin and staying in a nice fitting size 16 and some 14's .... I think I can live with that

Back