• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can you burst after gastric sleeve

Hecate

Sorry to ask, but I am scared.

I had a sleeve gastrectomy on 23rd. Until yesterday I felt really full. A sardine would leave me with a tight tum!
but now? I feel like I can eat! I had my runny weetabix and didn't feel full. I drank a whole cup of tea, ok, slowly but I drank it, up to now I have had half and left it.

I know I am being stupid - REALLY stupid - because if my stomach had burst, it would hurt! If stomach acid and any food and drink were pouring into my abdomen, I'd be suffering, wouldn't I? I have no pain, no temperature.

But I'm not STUFFED. I'm not tight after I have my pureed sardine with a spoonful of cottage cheese and I have been.

I am supposed to eat 4-6 times a day, until yesterday, I managed 2-3, but yesterday I ate more often and what if that burst it?

I know I am being stupid, feel free to laugh! But I still need to know the signs and symptoms that tell you that the staples have burst wide open.

I've left messages for my contacts at the hospital, but they've not got back to me.

I bet this goes down in your hall of fame as the most ridiculous question ever.

Hecate, there is no such thing as a ridiculous question on here.

I'm not an expert, but to me it sounds like basically your swelling has started to go down. Liquids and sloppies won't make you feel so full any more, so when you go on to more solids then you'll get that full feeling back again.

If your staples had burst then you would be in a lot of pain, so please don't worry about that. It is hard to burst surgical staples, it would take extensive forced eating sustained for a period of time, not just one day of having the 4-6 meals you are supposed to be having any way.

Hope they call you back soon, and put your mind at rest. In the mean time, deep breath and just keep sticking to the regime they have given you.

thank you very much for replying. (again) you have drawn the short straw each time with me. you are very kind to take the time to reassure me. thanks again.

Dont be so hard on your self babe....were all new at this when we have the surgery as its the first time for us personally and its normal to be worried and care about yourself...glad SB managed to put your mind at rest and dont be silly there is no such thing as a stupid question....its only stupid if you dont ask xxx

I realise this post is very old, but did you get an answer from your medical team? Did it take long to sort out? and how are you now?

apparantly the sleeve can leak, and or stretch, but i dont think it can burst as such. hope it was sorted for you, and it is as others had said probably just swelling has gone done,

i had mine done a few months ago and i can eat more now as well, but still not a great amount

stew

Back