• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Trapped Wind/Pain?

TR_Wolf

(just call me Adam)
I had a gastric sleeve fitted yesterday morning, but I've had a feeling like painful trapped wind ever since, and it just wont "disperse" no matter what I do! :cry:

I'm also told it might not be wind, but just stomach-surgery-pain which feels like wind, but I don't know!

Does anyone else have this, or can they recommend something to help?

It is very common to have trapped wind pain after surgery. Mine went on for a few days. I became convinced that if I could do a number 2 then it would all go away. So i necked prune juice and syrup of figs, which was a VERY bad idea!!!
Lets just say Im glad I was in my own home!
The more you move around, the better it gets. Go for little walks.
xxx

I'm pre-op so can't help but I hope you're feeling better soon x

If its wind its just keep sipping the water and plenty of moving/ walking around. If you are allowed milk in your drinks I will always remember how that first hot mouthful of tea got my wind moving. Also peppermint tea is brilliant at shifting it.
The day after my op was my "grotty" day, the "why have I put myself through this....." but please do believe me it gets better and easier each day after.
Keep talking on here, we'll all do as much as we can to help.

See that's the thing, the wounds etc don't hurt just the top of my stomach as though it's wind.

The nurses said it'd be wind and to walk around etc, (and I drank a lot of peppermint tea!), but Dr Ammori himself said it wasn't wind, it just felt like it because of the stomach surgery, which means I'm not really able to get rid of it doesn't it?

It's not painful as much as uncomfortable, sometimes it feels like I need to go to the toilet for a number 2, or at least a really big trump! But sometimes it feels like I need to be sick, and I've wondered whether inducing vomiting might be good or bad...

When you need to be sick, you will be sick, I really wouldn't encourage it unless you know that just coughing would bring it on.

Are you still in the hospital? Have they given you any painkillers if they say its not wind? I was still in hospital then and on a drip so I would just have painkillers admitted that way.

Even though its uncomfortable does it feel less uncomfortable than it did yesterday? - that would suggest surgery rather than wind - Do you feel it more when you are drinking or would you say its pretty constant?

Last personal question, have you opened your bowels yet? Just wondering if you had if that had made it feel any different from earlier on?

Are you still in the hospital? Have they given you any painkillers if they say its not wind? I was still in hospital then and on a drip so I would just have painkillers admitted that way.

No I'm at home. They gave me Solpadol

Even though its uncomfortable does it feel less uncomfortable than it did yesterday? - that would suggest surgery rather than wind - Do you feel it more when you are drinking or would you say its pretty constant?

It doesn't feel as bad as yesterday, but I definitely feel it more when I drink, it's quite sharp, but then fades.

Last personal question, have you opened your bowels yet? Just wondering if you had if that had made it feel any different from earlier on?

Not yet. There's nothing in my stomach, so that explains that one really, but it does feel like opening my bowels would help! I'm able to pee without trouble though.
-TR

hope you feel better soon TR xxx

Well irrelevant of what Mr Ammori himself has said, I would speculate that it's almost definitely wind...you get pumped full of air so the abdominal cavity expands allowing the surgeons to see what they are doing...wind pains are very common post surgery, can last a good few weeks, and make you feel quite rotten, sick & in pain in your stomach, shoulder or just about anywhere....you've just had major stomach surgery so despite the discomfort, it's quite normal. Keep mobile & active, take deflatine or windeeze or similar, & fart/burp at every opportunity & I promise, it will ease over time!

HEY, I had my sleeve 13 days ago today. I have had really bad wind problems too, try infacol, it worked for me, and it will get better, mine gets slightly easier every day xx

how you gettin on sleeve brother? xx

Back