• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can you eat too much protein?

jaffa_cake

The reason I am asking is I have tried to cut way down on my carbs and up my protein but am just wondering can you eat too much protein or how much protein are we suppose to consume each day, i'm with the dietician in a few weeks and will ask her this but was just wondering do any of you know the answer

Thanks
Jaffa

Hi there,

The normal amount is about 45g for a woman of between 19-50 years of age.

I was advised 60 grams and low carbs to help aid weightloss. But each team or provider may advise differently.

Too much protein can put stress on the kidneys, it can also cause problems with bone strength.

Over 95g's for a woman would be consider way too much.

Excess protein in the diet can be stored as fat in the body, which is the last thing we want when trying to lose weight. I can't remember the actual process now but I'll look it up and post back.

ETA: Before anyone starts panicking, all I can find so far is anecdotal evidence and no accredited scientific research. I'll keep on looking!

Last edited:
It also depends on how much exercise you're doing.

It's too vague to give a definitive answer in my opinion :)

I know that Tesmaralda did some research on this recently as part of her college work, and she did mention that too much protein can cause probs, but I cant remember what the probs are (sorry!)

Not much help I know, but Terri may post herself if she see's this.

Back