• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sorry- Protein!

TessG

Just wondering if anyone had found any protein pills or had tried the Holland and Barrett protein shots?

I have been trying the protein powders samples from 'my protein' and am finding them really hard to get down. They're just so sweet!

I am still on the liquids stage. So any ideas for now or for the future stages would be very much appreciated.

In advance, Thanks.

Hannah. :)

Hi Hannah,

I can't advise, but I'm after the answer to the same question. Hopefully someone will be along shortly to pass on their expert advice :)

No love, I haven't. But Ditzeeblonde used some protein shots immediately post-op and I know she still uses protein shakes. If you check out her posts you should be able to fnd what she used.
I found the Myprotein ones vile too.
I think Ditzee mixes hers into natural yoghurt, you could try that?
Grace xxx

Sorry I cant help. I have tried various protein powders and find them horrible. So I have given up and just make sure that I eat plenty of protein in my diet and that seems to work for me.
Have you asked you team if you need to take it?

Jo
xx

ergh they are all vile . . if anyone could ever make protein shots/shakes that actually taste ok you could make millions!! Please let me know if you ever find anything that tastes ok! xx

i'm vegetarian (although I eat the occasional bit of fish). So although i am going to be really careful and use pulses and whole foods for as much protein as possible, i just wanted a bit of extra help really.

Oh gosh now that does sound challenging! I like nuts and can eat them fine but they are quite high in fat . . not sure how else except pulses etc you will get enough protein. If you have any nice recipes for veggie protein post op please let me know as I am very unimaginitive without meat or fish on the plate and I do get sick of it! Thanks Hannah.

Ive used the shots - they are horrid lol - much much sweeter than the powders and although the volume is much smaller than a shake - they are just toooooo sweet for me, even now!
I have swapped from a fruit powder to a caffee latte or cappuchino powder as they are less sweet.
HTH
Sal x

I was told by my dietian that using protein supplements will slow your weight loss down and was advised to eat foods from all groups rather than use supplement as i dont need them hope this helps

It is very important to get the 60gs of protein in which can be difficult. I love the dymatize powders and make them up with splenda to taste with loads of water which hellps my fluid. If you look in the stickys in the recipe section phatgirl did cakes, ice-cream with protein which lots of people used. Ditzee and I stir the powder scoops in natural yoghurt, again I need splenda to sweeten it.

Good luck with your journey

M

M, where do you buy that dymatize powder from please?

Protein drinks/shots have always been a contentious issue...some providers (like mine) say they are fine, others say to avoid them.

Personally, I think it's your call, and I don't accept that using protein supplements can actually slow down anyone's weight loss.

We all know that protein intake is especially critical post-op for repair & healing. Equally, we are all so different in how we react to food post-op...some people are fine & can tolerate eating protein in the form of meat/fish etc quite soon after their ops...others simply can't without being sick/feeling ill. If anyone is in the second category, they have to get their protein intake from somewhere, so protein shakes/shots can be a life-saver in this situation.

As others have suggested, try mixing it in with natural yoghurt to dampen down the sweetness. Alternatively, you can buy unflavoured protein whey which can be mixed in with foods/drinks to make it more paletable & increase protein intake that way.

Ultimately of couse, the aim is to get adequate calorie and vitamin/mineral intake through 'normal food' via a well-balanced diet, so even if something doesn't agree with you one week, then leave it a few days & try again.

Back