• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I eating too much????

Mazza said:
Hi Girls

Yep WLS Group advise no rice pasta or bread post op x

For how long Mazza? What happens if you do eat it cos I've had pasta twice. Really soft in sauce though and Colleen told me spaghetti hoops was fine!
Now I'm confused. Xx

Dont worry spaghetti hoops should be ok for the mushy stage but normal pasta (even in sauce) might be a bit too much so soon post op.

If you havent already had it then you will be given a leaflet - the butterfly plan which outlines what you should be eating when back on to solid food onwards. Its a traffic light system - so green = good, amber = moderation and red = avoid.

Rice, bread and pasta are on the foods to avoid list, they can absorb a lot of water, cause overfilling and stretching of the pouch.

I havent touched either for 2 1/2 years and dont miss them. I used to love rice and pasta but could eat LOADS! xx

Mazza said:
Dont worry spaghetti hoops should be ok for the mushy stage but normal pasta (even in sauce) might be a bit too much so soon post op.

If you havent already had it then you will be given a leaflet - the butterfly plan which outlines what you should be eating when back on to solid food onwards. Its a traffic light system - so green = good, amber = moderation and red = avoid.

Rice, bread and pasta are on the foods to avoid list, they can absorb a lot of water, cause overfilling and stretching of the pouch.

I havent touched either for 2 1/2 years and dont miss them. I used to love rice and pasta but could eat LOADS! xx

OMG!!!! This is news to me!!!! You haven't eaten bread or pasta for 2.5 years! I honestly did not know this and I read all through the paper work that I've been given too! I was supposed to go for a follow up appt on the 27th but my mums coming down from Bath so Michelle said she'd get Wendy to give me a call and go through everything over the phone instead.... But she hasn't yet.
I thought you means no bread/pasta on the sloppy stage- not forever!!
I've got a friend at work who had the band 4 years ago and she's always eating bread. Xx

Mazza said:

Oh and yes I have had stuffed pasta in sauce TWICE! Oooooops! :-/

Sophie 124 said:
Oh and yes I have had stuffed pasta in sauce TWICE! Oooooops! :-/

Sophie i think everyone is different with what they can tolerate. I also know someone who had a band and eats bread and pasta, but try and avoid it for now as its so soon after op x

Sophie, If you want to keep in contact let me know and we can exchange numbers, we can help eachother out and seen as were at the same stage of post op and seem to be having the same experiences x

Do you think I could have already caused problems from eating pasta twice though? I won't from now on but concerned that it may have caused my band to move or pouch to stretch. Xx

patricia2612 said:
Sophie, If you want to keep in contact let me know and we can exchange numbers, we can help eachother out and seen as were at the same stage of post op and seem to be having the same experiences x

Patricia, that'd be great. Xx

Sophie i think everyone is different with what they can tolerate. I also know someone who had a band and eats bread and pasta, but try and avoid it for now as its so soon after op x

Hi, Im guessing you havent had your post op eating plan then. You should get it at your first clinic appointment.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but you have to try and get into the mind frame that its not a case of its ok to eat it of you can, there is a very valid reason no to. If other people chose to eat bread and pasta thats their choice. If you had your op with WLS Group in your post op eating plan, as I mentioned you will be advised to avoid them. As well as fried foods, sugar coated cereals, roast or chipped potato's, fast foods, chocolate coated biscuits etc etc - basically slider foods or ones that will hinder your weight loss.

You have to be prepared to committ to a different way of eating and a healthier lifestyle to make this work. If we carried on eating what we did pre op we wouldnt do very well. Apart from the risk of swelling, sticking bread, rice and pasta turn quickly to sugar - can slow down your losses, plus they dont keep you fuller for longer.

Dont worry, Wendy and Coleen are both fantastic and will make sure you get the advice you need to make this work xx

Mazza said:
Hi, Im guessing you havent had your post op eating plan then. You should get it at your first clinic appointment.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but you have to try and get into the mind frame that its not a case of its ok to eat it of you can, there is a very valid reason no to. If other people chose to eat bread and pasta thats their choice. If you had your op with WLS Group in your post op eating plan, as I mentioned you will be advised to avoid them. As well as fried foods, sugar coated cereals, roast or chipped potato's, fast foods, chocolate coated biscuits etc etc - basically slider foods or ones that will hinder your weight loss.

You have to be prepared to committ to a different way of eating and a healthier lifestyle to make this work. If we carried on eating what we did pre op we wouldnt do very well. Apart from the risk of swelling, sticking bread, rice and pasta turn quickly to sugar - can slow down your losses, plus they dont keep you fuller for longer.

Dont worry, Wendy and Coleen are both fantastic and will make sure you get the advice you need to make this work xx

Hi Mazza, I never received this information and when I saw Michelle at wls group, she said you could eventually eat anything. She also said that she eats bread and lasagne (which is classed as pasta) and she has been successful with her weight loss... So who are we supposed to believe if were being told all different things. I thought the idea was that we could occasionally eat bad things but not very much of it.

Hun I just followed the eating plan I was given, its a small leaflet provided to me by Wendy and written by Coleen and Wendy. I was given it at the clinic post op ie it wasnt with all the pre op docs. I too have been succesful with my weight loss.

I know Michelle has had WLS, a band then bliliopancreatic diversion (I think :confused:) beacuse she hadnt lost all the weight she wanted to. Michelle is the Managing Director.

Im just trying to give you some advice, if Michelle tells you its ok to eat things like that but then their eating plan written by their clinical director and nutritionist says something different, who am I to argue.

You should believe and follow the post op advice given by Wendy and Colleen during the aftercare clinics and the support groups or calls from Colleen.

No, I really appreciate any advice given. It's just so confusing when you hear other peoples advice has been different. I haven't had a follow up appt so maybe I've missed out on some of the information sheets. I'm expecting another call from
Colleen this week so I'll make sure I go through everything again with her.
Anyway, everyone has the same end goal and that is to lose weight and be healthy. Xx

Absolutly! each provider will have their own eating plans and people will always think theirs is best too.

Colleen is fantastic, ask her to send you the leaflet for when you are back onto 'normal' foods x

Just to clarify, I spoke to colleen and she said pasta is NOT a problem, as long as you chew well!!! Also when it comes to bread, she doesn't recommend it because most people can not tolerate it but she never said its a no no! Thanx everyone x

Confusing or what eh??? because when you get your post op eating plan it will advise you to avoid pasta / noodle / rice dishes.

Oh well x

Mazza said:
Confusing or what eh??? because when you get your post op eating plan it will advise you to avoid pasta / noodle / rice dishes.

Oh well x

Yeah she did say to avoid those things for I think its 3 months but after that its ok! Obviously it doesn't mean stuff your face with pasta lol but I guess its ok to have once in a while x

Back