• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I eating too much????

patricia2612

Hi everyone, i seem to be feeling so hungry at the moment. I'm 3 weeks post op on Wednesday from a gastric band. I'm having a protein shake in the morning, for lunch a cuppa soup or sometimes a cereal sized bowl of mash, for dinner about 7-8 tablespoons of mash mixed with cheese, with a piece of fish and a handful of Veg like broccoli or cauliflower. Then maybe a yogurt as a snack. I'm ok when I have my dinner but during the day I'm starving but trying not to eat because i feel like I might be having too much for dinner. Can I still eat something else during the day? or am I already eating too much? Would really appreciate your feedback. Thank you

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hi

I think maybe you could try more at lunch and not have so much as your evening meal?

A cuppa soup is not much at all to keep you going from lunch til your evening meal.

Try adding some protein to your lunch too as that will keep you fuller.

patricia2612

Mazza said:
Hi

I think maybe you could try more at lunch and not have so much as your evening meal?

A cuppa soup is not much at all to keep you going from lunch til your evening meal.

Try adding some protein to your lunch too as that will keep you fuller.

Hi Mazza, so do you think it sounds like I'm eating too much for dinner? Any suggestions for protein around lunch time?

miserable

By my third week I introduce tuna from tin and mince beef... that made a difference to the amount I ate. Protein do keep u fuller for longer. Hth xxx so lunch would be either tuna jacket potato or cheese and beans jacket potato. I ate lots of jacket potato during that stage. Then did stuffed peppers that filled me a lot and salmon fillets cooked in foil in the oven for 20 mns so it is still very soft compare to grilling it for the first stage.

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mazza, so do you think it sounds like I'm eating too much for dinner? Any suggestions for protein around lunch time?

Not necessarily but deffo not enough for lunch.

Protein for soft stage:

tuna mayo
soft cheese
salmon with a sauce
minced meats or quorn in gravy
white fish mushed in parsley sauce

Hope that helps x

patricia2612

Mazza said:
Not necessarily but deffo not enough for lunch.

Protein for soft stage:

tuna mayo
soft cheese
salmon with a sauce
minced meats or quorn in gravy
white fish mushed in parsley sauce

Hope that helps x

Hiya Mazza thank you for your advice. The only problem I have is that its difficult to find those types of things for lunch as I'm at work and I only have a waitrose or m&s nearby....I guess I could have tuna as they sell it pre-made with mayo and sweetcorn but I don't know what I could have with it?! I need to think, but thank you do much for your help x

Sophie 124

patricia2612 said:
Hiya Mazza thank you for your advice. The only problem I have is that its difficult to find those types of things for lunch as I'm at work and I only have a waitrose or m&s nearby....I guess I could have tuna as they sell it pre-made with mayo and sweetcorn but I don't know what I could have with it?! I need to think, but thank you do much for your help x

Thanks for this post! I am also 3 weeks post op and feel like I'm eating my 'normal' size portions! My typical daily intake is:
Scrambled egg and beans for breakfast
Jacket potato and cottage cheese for lunch
Mashed potato with fish in sauce for dinner
Yoghurt for snack.
And much to my horror, I have PUT ON 7lbs!! I know it's probably a shock to my body to be eating again after 2 weeks of fluids but I am panicking about the weight I have put on. To top it off, I'm not having my first fill until January!!! I feel like at this rate, I'm going to weigh more than I did before I started and I feel so ashamed! I even started counting my weight watchers points again as of yesterday but potato is so high on this new WW system - which is pretty much what I'm living on at the moment! Argh! Xx

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Sophie

Try not to worry - at this stage thats what most of us eat, try wherever you can to add protein to your spuds and when you move onto the next stage start phasing them out replacing them with veg.

Hopefuly the gain is temporary and is due to shock your body has gone through with the op coupled with the gas they pump you full of.

Make sure you keep your liquids up to and hopefuly the lbs will start dropping x

patricia2612

Sophie 124 said:
Thanks for this post! I am also 3 weeks post op and feel like I'm eating my 'normal' size portions! My typical daily intake is:
Scrambled egg and beans for breakfast
Jacket potato and cottage cheese for lunch
Mashed potato with fish in sauce for dinner
Yoghurt for snack.
And much to my horror, I have PUT ON 7lbs!! I know it's probably a shock to my body to be eating again after 2 weeks of fluids but I am panicking about the weight I have put on. To top it off, I'm not having my first fill until January!!! I feel like at this rate, I'm going to weigh more than I did before I started and I feel so ashamed! I even started counting my weight watchers points again as of yesterday but potato is so high on this new WW system - which is pretty much what I'm living on at the moment! Argh! Xx

I also have my first fill in January. I have heard though that it is quite hard to lose weight at this stage going on thicker foods because our bodies haven't had it for a while but we still need to eat!!! I'm dreading getting weighed on Saturday. I have lost 30 lbs so far and really don't want to go backwards :-(

Sophie 124

patricia2612 said:
I also have my first fill in January. I have heard though that it is quite hard to lose weight at this stage going on thicker foods because our bodies haven't had it for a while but we still need to eat!!! I'm dreading getting weighed on Saturday. I have lost 30 lbs so far and really don't want to go backwards :-(

You have lost 30lbs! That's amazing! You should be so proud of yourself! Even if you have put on a few pounds that's still a great achievement so you should be very proud of yourself! I only lost 15lbs during the pre op and fluids diet, and I have put 7 back on!! Hence feeling a bit deflated right now.
But I'm kinda trying to stay possitive and think that I will soon start loosing again once I have this band filled. Im gonna try really hard not to put anymore on (especially with my girly Christmas night out approaching).
How is your recovery going patricia? Xx

patricia2612

Sophie 124 said:
You have lost 30lbs! That's amazing! You should be so proud of yourself! Even if you have put on a few pounds that's still a great achievement so you should be very proud of yourself! I only lost 15lbs during the pre op and fluids diet, and I have put 7 back on!! Hence feeling a bit deflated right now.
But I'm kinda trying to stay possitive and think that I will soon start loosing again once I have this band filled. Im gonna try really hard not to put anymore on (especially with my girly Christmas night out approaching).
How is your recovery going patricia? Xx

I'm getting there Sophie day by day. Only in the last couple of days I have been feeling less pain, the pain has been a nightmare to be honest and in the beginning I was getting really horrible panic attacks and I wasn't sleeping etc I think it was from the shock of it all and worrying that something would go wrong, I went to the doctors and he prescribed temazepam, I am a real stress head. I guess everyone heals differently don't they, how about you how have you been? Sorry did you say before that you had dr marc focquet in belgium? I am chuffed I lost some weight, I'm not surprised though I have been literally starving myself especially through the pre-op diet, I was so scared my liver wouldn't shrink! But now I have my appetite back I just want to eat and am scared just like you that I will put the weight back on especially as we have to wait until after Christmas...

Sophie 124

patricia2612 said:
I'm getting there Sophie day by day. Only in the last couple of days I have been feeling less pain, the pain has been a nightmare to be honest and in the beginning I was getting really horrible panic attacks and I wasn't sleeping etc I think it was from the shock of it all and worrying that something would go wrong, I went to the doctors and he prescribed temazepam, I am a real stress head. I guess everyone heals differently don't they, how about you how have you been? Sorry did you say before that you had dr marc focquet in belgium? I am chuffed I lost some weight, I'm not surprised though I have been literally starving myself especially through the pre-op diet, I was so scared my liver wouldn't shrink! But now I have my appetite back I just want to eat and am scared just like you that I will put the weight back on especially as we have to wait until after Christmas...

You sound just like me! I suffer with anxiety and the occasional panick attack (although it's much much better now). But after the op I was still thinking "oh my god, have I done the right thing" and was freaking out about having this foreign object inside my body! But as the pain has improved, so has my state of mind. I'd say I'm pretty much back to normal now too. Still some pain around the port but all the wounds are healing nicely. I am getting very bad headaches nearly every day for the past 10 days though, I'm trying to have lots of fluids so I don't think it's that.
Were you told no baths for 6 weeks? My nurse told me this but I'm wondering whether it's a bit excessive, esp as my wound have pretty much healed over. Also, I want to get back to swimming, it's the only exercise that I enjoy and do regularly- I'm sure it'd also help in the weight loss department!
I had my op in Bromley.
Oh and in reply to the other thread- yes, they should defo do at least one weekend in December. Xx

miserable

Try mash potato but had carrots and swede so potato ll be less? I started introducing veg by then soft broccoli carrots mushrooms. I find ratatouille very filling. Hth

patricia2612

miserable said:
Try mash potato but had carrots and swede so potato ll be less? I started introducing veg by then soft broccoli carrots mushrooms. I find ratatouille very filling. Hth

This is my problem, I'm quite fussy. I don't like cooked carrots only raw and I don't like swede

patricia2612

Sophie 124 said:
You sound just like me! I suffer with anxiety and the occasional panick attack (although it's much much better now). But after the op I was still thinking "oh my god, have I done the right thing" and was freaking out about having this foreign object inside my body! But as the pain has improved, so has my state of mind. I'd say I'm pretty much back to normal now too. Still some pain around the port but all the wounds are healing nicely. I am getting very bad headaches nearly every day for the past 10 days though, I'm trying to have lots of fluids so I don't think it's that.
Were you told no baths for 6 weeks? My nurse told me this but I'm wondering whether it's a bit excessive, esp as my wound have pretty much healed over. Also, I want to get back to swimming, it's the only exercise that I enjoy and do regularly- I'm sure it'd also help in the weight loss department!
I had my op in Bromley.
Oh and in reply to the other thread- yes, they should defo do at least one weekend in December. Xx

Sophie you sound like me!!! When I was having panic attacks that was exactly what I was thinking...my bf didn't understand why I was freaking out, he was trying to console me, telling me everything had gone ok but I couldn't help it, I really thought I was going to lose it but thank god I am better...I haven't been told about the no bath thing, they said it was ok for me to shower but they didn't mention bath's...oh and I also have been getting headaches...I wouldn't mind trying swimming but all the classes are either too early or too late...

Sophie 124

patricia2612 said:
Sophie you sound like me!!! When I was having panic attacks that was exactly what I was thinking...my bf didn't understand why I was freaking out, he was trying to console me, telling me everything had gone ok but I couldn't help it, I really thought I was going to lose it but thank god I am better...I haven't been told about the no bath thing, they said it was ok for me to shower but they didn't mention bath's...oh and I also have been getting headaches...I wouldn't mind trying swimming but all the classes are either too early or too late...

I suppose it's just such an un-natural thing to do and having the pain in the first couple of weeks was a constant reminder of it. I'm actually looking forward to my first fill now. Going on what other people have said on here, it's not too bad. This has been such a good forum to read other peoples advice and experiences! I've been Reading it since just before my op but only just figured out how to write a post! (I'm so un-technically-minded lol).
How have you been with your food portions today?
I've been counting my WW points and have had:
Smoothie for breakfast
Small jacket potato with cottage cheese for lunch
And I will be having a haddock fish cake with veg for dinner followed by a baked apple and low fat custard.
It's really helped me today to plan ahead what I'm going to be eating.
Hope you've had a good food day too. Xx

Sophie 124

patricia2612 said:

Ooh, I did just reply to this but god knows where it's gone!
Don't worry about having what I call 'silly head days'.... I know exactly how you feel and trust me, you're not alone.
So how has your eating been today?
I've been sticking to my WW points and today I've had:
A smoothie for breakfast
A small jacket potato with cottage cheese for lunch
And dinner will be a haddock fish cake with veg followed by a baked apple and low fat custard for desert!
I spent 10 minutes sitting down this morning working out what I was going to eat for the whole day and counting the points. It's really helped me today actually! Really hoping for a loss by the end of this week. Xx

patricia2612

My eating has been fine, everything has gone down fine so far but the real tester will be when I move onto proper solids. I've been having a protein shake in the morning and a cuppa soup for lunch, today I also had a banana. Tonight I will probably have mash mixed with cream cheese with bolognese on top, I'm starving right now! I'm basically having mash for dinner everyday because it seems to fill me up...my nutritionist has not told me to keep an eye on calories, she's just been telling me what foods to eat and nothing about portions. I'm really worried about Xmas coming up though, I will want to eat everything! But I know I can't :-(

Sophie 124

patricia2612 said:
My eating has been fine, everything has gone down fine so far but the real tester will be when I move onto proper solids. I've been having a protein shake in the morning and a cuppa soup for lunch, today I also had a banana. Tonight I will probably have mash mixed with cream cheese with bolognese on top, I'm starving right now! I'm basically having mash for dinner everyday because it seems to fill me up...my nutritionist has not told me to keep an eye on calories, she's just been telling me what foods to eat and nothing about portions. I'm really worried about Xmas coming up though, I will want to eat everything! But I know I can't :-(

Well I'm working Christmas day til 11pm so don't need to worry about that! It was hard to resist adding mince pies to my trolly whilst walking round Asda today though - hehe!
I've been having things like stuffed pasta this week too. I was told that spaghetti hoops were fine so figured that would be too.
I'm suprised how easily I can eat... Even though the band hasn't been filled I was expecting some restriction/feeling when food is going down but it feels like normal!
Is coleen your nutritionalist too? Xx

patricia2612

Sophie 124 said:
Well I'm working Christmas day til 11pm so don't need to worry about that! It was hard to resist adding mince pies to my trolly whilst walking round Asda today though - hehe!
I've been having things like stuffed pasta this week too. I was told that spaghetti hoops were fine so figured that would be too.
I'm suprised how easily I can eat... Even though the band hasn't been filled I was expecting some restriction/feeling when food is going down but it feels like normal!
Is coleen your nutritionalist too? Xx

Yeah it is colleen. She told me not to eat pasta?! Or rice...I know what you mean. I get a full feeling at dinner time but I don't get a pain in my chest like some people have mentioned. I feel like my dinner portion is a bit big and am also surprised at how much I can eat and how nice it's going down. Good thing I don't like mince pies but I do love chocolate and there's always so much chocolate around Xmas time!