• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can't stop eating!!!

Twiggie

I've got a month to lose at least a stone but I just can't stop eating!!! :break_diet:

I'm sat here now eating cheese & crackers with a glass of red wine and it's almost 3am!!

Since eating my dinner at 7pm (small battered cod portion with new spuds & peas) I've had half a bag of mixed fruit & nuts, half a bar of dark chocolate, a muller lite yoghurt, a bowl of fruit & fibre cereal and now this!

Admittedly, I haven't eaten all day, apart from a very small portion of chicken curry left over from last night's dinner mid-afternoon. So overall I've probably not eaten much more than I would/should over the course of a normal day, it's just the timing of it that's all wrong!

This is a fairly typical day for me. Anyone else have a completely screwed up body clock? How do you cope with it, especially after surgery? :eek:

twiggie as difficult as it is now is the ideal time to address yr eating issues. as once yr bypassed you wont be able to meet emotional issues or bordom with food. start keeping a diary not only of what you eat but how yr feeling at the time,
before getting anything to eat make a hot drink and drink that also you need to address the times if day you are eating now as starving yrself allday wont be an option as you wont be able to get the nutrition in that you need for healthy healing.
hth
carole

Well said Carole xx

Hi Twiggie hun i had the same predicament i was told to lose weight b4 my next app otherwise they were going to give me a sleeve not a bypass.
i 2 am bad at eating at the right time and am a very fussy eater, but the only thing that worked with me was i did a menu plan for the week and only bought that food only so there was nothing nice in the house that was not following my menu plan, i followed SW diet and lost 18lbs b4 my next app.
I told my son that if he wants to eat or drink any thing that is not on my menu then he has to do so out of the house, this is only a month and he has to work with me, and he did so this way i could not munch on any nice food as it was not in the house.
Hope this might help u, if u want to chat then buzz me hun, i also have a diet from the whit that is not the pre op diet but a 1400 cal diet if u want it just pm me.
Take care and i know i will do this xxxx

twiggie as difficult as it is now is the ideal time to address yr eating issues. as once yr bypassed you wont be able to meet emotional issues or bordom with food. start keeping a diary not only of what you eat but how yr feeling at the time,
before getting anything to eat make a hot drink and drink that also you need to address the times if day you are eating now as starving yrself allday wont be an option as you wont be able to get the nutrition in that you need for healthy healing.
hth
carole

Thanks Carole, that's a great idea about keeping a diary, hadn't thought of that. It's always the evenings that are the worst. I don't feel hungry at all during the day until it's dinnertime, around 6-7pm. But once I've had my dinner it's like a trigger has gone off and I just continue to snack all evening!

I know this needs addressing now before surgery as I will need to eat small amounts frequently then.

jig saw get yrseld the biggest jigsaw going and set yrself a target of doing so many pieces in and eve, its all about distraction. The other good thing is a childs colouring book make sure you stay in the lines and invest in some good crayons.
failing that a DS mind game.
you can do this just be positive!!
carole

Hi Twiggie hun i had the same predicament i was told to lose weight b4 my next app otherwise they were going to give me a sleeve not a bypass.
i 2 am bad at eating at the right time and am a very fussy eater, but the only thing that worked with me was i did a menu plan for the week and only bought that food only so there was nothing nice in the house that was not following my menu plan, i followed SW diet and lost 18lbs b4 my next app.
I told my son that if he wants to eat or drink any thing that is not on my menu then he has to do so out of the house, this is only a month and he has to work with me, and he did so this way i could not munch on any nice food as it was not in the house.
Hope this might help u, if u want to chat then buzz me hun, i also have a diet from the whit that is not the pre op diet but a 1400 cal diet if u want it just pm me.
Take care and i know i will do this xxxx

Thanks Roch, and well done on your weight loss! :D

I don't actually keep any "bad" foods in the house (chocolate is emergency rations for TOTM ;) ) such as sweets/crisps/cakes etc to stop me eating them. If I want them I have to ask son to go to the shop for them and 75% of the time he refuses lol

He doesn't eat much junk either as he plays a lot of sport and is at college doing sports training. That's the problem, I always have to have plenty of food in the house, even though it's all "healthy" food as he needs it. He has to eat somewhere in the region of 4500 calories a day just to sustain him, lucky devil lol

I also have well stocked store cupboards and can be very versatile at making something from nothing lol .... like last weekend he was away and I wanted something sweet & stodgy but only sweet thing I had in the house was bananas so I knocked up a batter and made banana fritters! LOL!!!

I wouldn't mind seeing that 1400 cal diet though as that's something I could do now to lose weight before going on the pre-op diet. Now I know I've got to do the pre-op for 4 weeks I know I'll struggle for those 4 weeks if I restrict myself to that extent beforehand.

I would like to think I will do it but I'm the sort of girl who puts things off to the very last minute then pulls the rabbit out the hat in the dying seconds but you can't do that with weight loss. I need to get on it now and keep at it :eek:

jig saw get yrseld the biggest jigsaw going and set yrself a target of doing so many pieces in and eve, its all about distraction. The other good thing is a childs colouring book make sure you stay in the lines and invest in some good crayons.
failing that a DS mind game.
you can do this just be positive!!
carole

All good ideas but not sure distraction works with me in that way. I'm usually busy doing something anyway, either studying or on the PC etc. ... but, having said that, it does seem to be when I get to the end of a piece of work or come to a natural break in something my thoughts automatically switch to food/drink.

During the day I'll just have a cup of coffee, which is probably why I don't feel hungry enough to eat but I never drink coffee after dinner or I'd be buzzing all night lol

I wonder if drinking NAS juice would work during the evenings. Worth a try! :)

Thanks Carole, that's a great idea about keeping a diary, hadn't thought of that. It's always the evenings that are the worst. I don't feel hungry at all during the day until it's dinnertime, around 6-7pm. But once I've had my dinner it's like a trigger has gone off and I just continue to snack all evening!

I know this needs addressing now before surgery as I will need to eat small amounts frequently then.
That is the problem I had, you need to get into the habbit and routine of having breakfast - lunch - dinner. never eat watching TV, and always eat your food slowly, that way your brain and stomach will speak to each other better, and you wont feel hungry at silly times.
And always ask yourself...am I really hungry, or just bored?? HTH :)

That is the problem I had, you need to get into the habbit and routine of having breakfast - lunch - dinner. never eat watching TV, and always eat your food slowly, that way your brain and stomach will speak to each other better, and you wont feel hungry at silly times.
And always ask yourself...am I really hungry, or just bored?? HTH :)

Yep, need to totally re-programme the way I eat now!

Eating slowly is something I definitely need to do! I've noticed when I make the effort to do that I feel fuller much sooner ;)

I also need to control portion size - that's my biggest downfall as I'm sure some of my dinners could adequately feed two people :eek:

This is where my son can help as he always moans I overfill his plate so now he dishes up his own dinner. Doing this has made me realise just how much more than him I am eating when I should only be eating half as much as I'm sat on my bum all day while he's playing sports every day!! He's agreed to start dishing up my dinner too from now on ;)

The other thing I need to do is stop cooking too much food, or if I do I must immediately portion up left overs and freeze them before I get chance to help myself to seconds or thirds!

Half the time in the evenings I'm not even hungry when I snack, but I get cravings for something sweet/stodgy that sensible snacks can't fulfill, hence eating so many of them lol ....is this what they call head hunger? I really need to get over this one!!

Oh, and I've just remembered one of my biggest vices!! ... I can't throw food away! Rather than put it in the bin it will go in my mouth .... I'm a human dustbin :eek:

Last edited:
Thats great hun, I hope you get sorted. it is best to start now, or when it comes to your Pre-Op Diet you will really struggle.

another tip is to make sure you only eat when sat at the table with it set. Knife fork etc
it takes effort to do that so no quick fix

another tip is to make sure you only eat when sat at the table with it set. Knife fork etc
it takes effort to do that so no quick fix

That's a really good tip, thanks! I always bring my food back to my desk and carry on working while I eat, so I'm not even paying attention to what or how much I'm eating. That is something I can start doing right away :D

Right, I forced myself to have some lunch with son an hour or so ago. Two grilled mackerel fillets on a slice of toast and a small glass OJ.

But now I've eaten something I just can't get food out of my head! I'm already feeling hungry again and thinking about what I can eat for dinner. Help!! :sigh:

PS - Son has now gone to his dad's until tomorrow afternoon so anything I cook is just for me!!

Lots of good advice there Twiggie. I just try to keep myself really busy...and go to bed earlyish. May sound silly but the longer I'm awake the more I will eat. Have you got a variety of hobbies? I try to get myself involved in lots of things so I don't have time to mindlessly eat....I'm terrible at that if I'm unoccupied.

Keep up though Twiggie...we can all do this x

Try and occupy yourself with another activity, also have a drink of coffee or better still Water, rather than food. alot of your problem sounds like it is mental, just remind yourself, that you are NOT Hungry, its just comfort and boredom eating.....Not judging hun, because we have all been there. x ;)

This is a great thread. I need to really focus on my eating as I want to loose some weight before my next appt at the hospital.

Try and occupy yourself with another activity, also have a drink of coffee or better still Water, rather than food. alot of your problem sounds like it is mental, just remind yourself, that you are NOT Hungry, its just comfort and boredom eating.....Not judging hun, because we have all been there. x ;)

Don't worry, I know you're not judging and I need all the [STRIKE]criticism[/STRIKE] advice I can get :D

I've just had some banana as a "snack" and now I know I wasn't actually hungry as I felt full after eating just half of it!

I'm wondering if the "hunger pangs" I'm getting after eating are just my stomach digesting the food I've already eaten as I obviously don't need more food. I think I need to pay more attention to my body lol

I've now got a pint of Really Light SF Ribena and that's all I'm going to have until dinner time @ 7pm.

I also need to start making meal plans so I know exactly what I'm eating to stop me obsessing over food and wondering what to cook for dinner! ;)

Thanks for all the advice and support guys, couldn't do it without you!! :D

PS Just seen your weight loss in your sig, that is fan-bloody-tastic!!!! WOW!!!!! :D

Don't worry, I know you're not judging and I need all the [STRIKE]criticism[/STRIKE] advice I can get :D

I've just had some banana as a "snack" and now I know I wasn't actually hungry as I felt full after eating just half of it!

I'm wondering if the "hunger pangs" I'm getting after eating are just my stomach digesting the food I've already eaten as I obviously don't need more food. I think I need to pay more attention to my body lol

I've now got a pint of Really Light SF Ribena and that's all I'm going to have until dinner time @ 7pm.

I also need to start making meal plans so I know exactly what I'm eating to stop me obsessing over food and wondering what to cook for dinner! ;)

Thanks for all the advice and support guys, couldn't do it without you!! :D

PS Just seen your weight loss in your sig, that is fan-bloody-tastic!!!! WOW!!!!! :D
Thanks very much hun. x

twiggie fantastic idea about the meal plan. goof luck and you have taken the first step to sucess by being here and talking about yr problems.
well done
carole

Back