• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Carbohydrates

wobbles

Hi everyone, if someone could please clear this up for me, i'd appreciate it.

I understand i need a low fat, low sugar, high protein diet. When i'm looking at recipes, i always look at especially the fat and sugar content and tend not to eat anything that has more than 14g of either per serve.

However some recipes don't give you the sugar contents.

What is the different between sugar and carbohydrates? Are they the same thing?

As far as my understanding, carbs are found in pasta, potatoes, bread etc. Stodgy things. And i know there are different types of carbs but i'm really confused about it all to be honest.

Is there a limit to the amount of carbs per serving?

sugar is a carbohydrates, but not all carbohydrates are sugars (confused you yet?). So basically, carbohydrates get broken down into sugars as you digest them, which means that if you eat a lot of simple carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice, pasta, pizza bases etc, it can technically make you dump, as the carbs are broken down. I've dumped on them before now.

So, what I do, is try to stick to complex carbs, such as wholemeal bread and pasta, brown rice, and not too many potatoes. These are broken down at a much slower rate so far less chance of dumping.

HTH

Shel

wobbles if it is any help i was told that a general guide is to be aiming for 5g or less per 100g of both fat and sugar.

Personally I don't. If it doesn't say how many grams of sugar are in it I look at the ingredients and work out what sugars are in there etc. If I can't see any hidden sugars then I just watch out for the simple carbs and then make a judgement depending on what it is.

Back