• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Carbs!! A packet of 'Pasta 'n' Sauce' for dinner?

kurvykaren

Hi

I'm 5 weeks out and wondered if I could have a packet of Pasta 'n' Sauce for dinner one night? (If you're not familiar with it its dried pasta with a powdered sauce in a packet, add milk, boil and simmer for 20 mins and you have a lovely bowl of pasta with a lovely sauce! - exactly what it says on the packet!)

I know its nice and soft and would be made with skimmed milk and won't be adding the butter but I'm just wondering as it's pasta with sauce (chicken and mushroom flavour) so will it be too much carbs at once.

I'm wondering about carbs too - I know when I'm eating I have protein first then veg then carbs, if I can get to them before I'm full lol!, and I don't want to mess my new healthy diet up!

I'm not eating many carbs at all at the mo. My weight loss for the past 3 weeks has only totalled 4 lbs (I'm a bit disappointed :() but I have been constipated lots.

I just want the weight to start dropping off a bit so I can keep heading for this nice bright future thats in store for me!

Sorry - my post went on a bit longer than I thought lol - any advice or guidance appreciated, as always!

Great question! I really hope someone can advise on this one! It'd be a great meal for a change! I lived on these during my many many slimming world attempts!! X

I know the meals you mean but have never tried them. My initial thoughts are they are just carbs so probably not the best choice but if you had a little pasta and added some chicken for protein maybe that would be ok. I honestly dont know but will be interested to see what more experienced post oppers say. x

I don't know about you but not sure I'd be able to stomach a lot of pasta any way, so I can't imagine it'd be a huge amount of carbs. My post op diet sheet says tinned spaghetti/mash/beans which must also be carbs heavy, are acceptable? Oooh I hate not knowing stuff! ;-)

I would say no to the pasta and sauce,besides being carb heavy,pasta is very hard to digest and you are only 5 weeks out.There are better things you can eat.You are still healing so protien is a must.

Thanks guys!

My stage 3 from the hospital says I can have some soft pasta and I know that I wouldn't eat a whole packet - it'd probably last me for a few meals, but I'll leave it for a while, they last til 2012! lol

Pasta gave me so much trouble to get down I avoided it post surgery i ended up vomiting it up more often than not and don't tend to eat it even now if I can avoid it.

I was told by the dietician on my post op appt last week, although we must eat 6 portions of protein a day we also need to eat some carbs at each meal to keep your energy levels up, Karen x

I don't know about you but not sure I'd be able to stomach a lot of pasta any way, so I can't imagine it'd be a huge amount of carbs. My post op diet sheet says tinned spaghetti/mash/beans which must also be carbs heavy, are acceptable? Oooh I hate not knowing stuff! ;-)

Baked beans are an amazing source of protein post op and are low in carbs, surprisingly tinned spaghetti isnt that high on carbs, as for instant mash you can't eat much volume anyway and I always add protein to it e.g. Cheese. Hope that helps.

Julie

Thanks Julie!! :)

I like those pasta n sauce meals, and although they are not the best thing nutritionally they make a nice change every now and then.

You will probably struggle with the quantity though. At nearly 2 years post op I can manage about 1/4 of a pack.

I couldn't eat pasta for nearly a year and still struggle now so be careful and stop before full and be prepared for dumping

They are lovely and I have never had prob with carbs including pasta ! Everyone is different and if u want t o try soft pasta like the sheet says then go for it :D my dietician also says some carbs are needed in a healthy balanced diet and that's what this is all about :D I have two protein shakes a day as I'm veggie so def enjoy my carbs !!

Back